Author Topic: The True Story Behind The Revenant, as Told in 1939  (Read 1777 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The True Story Behind The Revenant, as Told in 1939
« on: January 15, 2016, 04:39:53 pm »
The True Story Behind The Revenant, as Told in 1939

Eliana Dockterman @edockterman  Jan. 7, 2016

If there were ever a true story ripe for big screen treatment, it’s that of Hugh Glass, a 19th century trapper who traveled 1,500 miles through the wilderness in pursuit of vengeance against the men who left him for dead after he was mauled by a bear. A fictionalized version of the tale was recently brought to life by Birdman director Alejandro González Iñárritu in The Revenant, starring Leonardo DiCaprio as Glass, based on the 2002 Michael Punke novel of the same name.

But Punke’s book wasn’t the first to tell Glass’ story: in 1939, the New Deal-era Federal Writers’ Project published The Oregon Trail, a history of the American West in which Hugh Glass appears. In its review of the book, TIME called him “the angriest man in U.S. history.” Here is the real story, as told by that book:

In 1823, Glass joined a team led by Andrew Henry that traveled up the Missouri River and the Grand River in modern-day South Dakota. It was during that trip that Glass was mauled by a grizzly bear. “Before Glass could shoot or retreat, the animal had seized him and bitten out a large chunk of his flesh, which she dropped to her younglings,” the book relates. “Glass screamed for his fellows but before they could kill the bear he had been mangled from head to foot.”

In case you had any doubts to how truly fearsome grizzly bears are, The Oregon Trail offers some context: “The grizzly is one of the most ferocious and dangerous animals in the world—as some San Francisco gamblers proved long ago when they staged a fight between a grizzly and a tiger; the tiger was dead in a few seconds.”

Glass did not die, but his fellow travelers didn’t expect him to survive for long. They could not carry the injured man with them and, since winter was approaching, they could not risk staying with him until he died. The men in the group offered two of their own $80 (quite a sum in that time) to stay with Glass and give him a decent burial once he died. But Glass would not let go of life, and after five days the two men abandoned Glass, scared that they would perish themselves if they stayed any longer. “Slipping away they took with them all his belongings—his gun, knife, flint and other essentials of wilderness life,” the book continues. “These they gave to Henry and asserted that Glass had died.”

More at link! http://time.com/4171001/revenant-1939-true-story/

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Re: The True Story Behind The Revenant, as Told in 1939
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 04:41:19 pm »
The wife and I saw the movie Wednesday  evening and loved it! Best movie I've seen in a LONG time!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 04:45:08 pm »
The wife and I saw the movie Wednesday  evening and loved it! Best movie I've seen in a LONG time!

Thanks for posting, Bigun. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 04:48:48 pm »
I want to see it but must convince my wife who does not like this type of movie - or images of privation. I'm working on her...
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 04:52:48 pm »
I want to see it but must convince my wife who does not like this type of movie - or images of privation. I'm working on her...

Just ask her if she's interested in knowing the difference between the reality of the old west vs the fairy tail version.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 04:57:50 pm »
Just ask her if she's interested in knowing the difference between the reality of the old west vs the fairy tail version.

Ha Ha! I know the answer already...she prefers to not even notice or know about the old west, but if at all she'd take the fairy tale! 😆
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 05:01:35 pm »
Ha Ha! I know the answer already...she prefers to not even notice or know about the old west, but if at all she'd take the fairy tale! 😆

Well it worked for me!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Paladin

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 06:23:35 am »
"Man in the Wilderness" (1971) starring Richard Harris is an earlier treatment of this same event, though I suspect the current version is closer to the facts. Nonetheless "Man" is a good movie as it is.

"Man in the Wilderness is a 1971 American Revisionist Western film about a scout for a group of mountain men who are traversing the Northwestern United States during the 1820s. The scout is mauled by a bear and left to die by his companions. He survives and recuperates sufficiently to track his former comrades, forcing a confrontation over his abandonment. The story is loosely based on the life of Hugh Glass. It stars Richard Harris as Zachary Bass and John Huston as Captain Henry."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_in_the_Wilderness

Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.