Author Topic: Upset Republican donors: Have we wasted our money?  (Read 1700 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Upset Republican donors: Have we wasted our money?
« on: January 13, 2016, 05:19:17 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/265647-upset-gop-donors-have-we-wasted-our-money

By Jonathan Swan - 01/13/16 06:00 AM EST

Major GOP donors and fundraisers are wondering whether they’re wasting their money on super-PACs.

They say they’re not ready to abandon the super-PACs, but they’re starting to look for ways to make them more effective during a presidential cycle that has challenged conventions about how to spend political donations.

GOP front-runner Donald Trump’s relatively cheap campaign — contrasted with the millions of dollars spent on behalf of Jeb Bush, John Kasich, Scott Walker and Rick Perry — has left  donors, fundraisers and conservative leaders questioning the value of super-PACs, which got a boost from the 2010 Supreme Court decision that allowed independent groups to raise unlimited cash.

“People are upset about the Citizens United decision; people are upset about all this money flowing into politics, but at the end of the day it has no impact,” said New York financier Anthony Scaramucci, who was a national finance co-chair for Scott Walker’s presidential campaign before moving to raise funds for Bush when Walker quit the race.

“I mean, with the free media, or whatever the term is, when they allow Trump to go on to every TV station in America — if there’s evidence that PACs are so consequential, please explain it to me,” Scaramucci said.

John Jordan, a California winery owner who is running a super-PAC to support Marco Rubio’s bid, agrees.

“Despite all the talk about money in politics, we are entering an era where big money is less and less important,” said Jordan, who nonetheless spends millions on politics, largely through his own super-PACs. 

The cautionary tale cited by nearly every donor or fundraiser interviewed on or off the record has been Bush. He has fallen in polls despite the more than $50 million already spent on his behalf by the group Right to Rise, which far outraised every other super-PAC with its mid-year haul of $103 million.

“I think the whole idea of super-PACs has been overrated,” said Fred Malek, finance chairman of the Republican Governors Association. 

“Super-PACs can only do so much,” Malek added, pointing out that they pay vastly higher rates for TV ads than campaigns do, meaning that eye-popping super-PAC bank accounts might not have as much buying power as they appear to.

In conversations over the past six weeks, a number of major Right to Rise donors have privately told The Hill that they are holding on to hope that the political action committee can turn things around.

And, while doubts are mounting, none of the super-PAC’s largest donors interviewed was willing to publicly abandon the group’s leader, Mike Murphy. Murphy has been trying to reassure them that his is a winning strategy and that their six- and seven-figure checks are being judiciously spent.

But Republican doubts about super-PACs’ efficacy go much deeper than questioning Right to Rise’s performance.

Jordan, the Rubio supporter, says the conservative donors he talks to “are in the head-scratching phase.”

“They haven’t figured out what is going on,” he said. “They just know that the usual stuff is not working.

Jordan says he is focused on generating “earned media,” content that will be entertaining enough for people to watch and share with friends. He believes that large ad campaigns have mostly been a waste of money this election cycle.

“The ads have become so familiar, so formulaic and so predictable,” Jordan said. “Political consultants think that if you buy enough gross rating points, it will move numbers. That has been true in the past. It’s not true now.”

Ray Sullivan, a former co-chair of Perry’s presidential super-PAC who switched to help Bush after Perry exited the race, agrees that big spending is showing fewer results.

“The reality show nature of this campaign cycle … diminishes the role of big money. Fundraising prowess really sets a floor for possible success but doesn’t always raise the ceiling.”

Yet with so much money invested to date, Republican consultants and candidates are not about to give up on their super-PACs.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (Ga.) ran surprisingly close to the Republican nomination in 2012 thanks in part to his supporting super-PAC. Financed almost entirely by Las Vegas billionaire Sheldon Adelson, the pro-Gingrich group so deeply wounded the ultimate nominee, Mitt Romney, that some conservative leaders still blame it for his general election loss to President Obama.

Gingrich does not think super-PACs are much good at building up candidates through positive messaging, though, because their media-purchasing power is limited.

But “from my experience, they can be pretty good at knocking a candidate down,” he told The Hill in a telephone interview.

“I think we don’t know yet what the effect [of super-PACs] will be over the next 40 to 50 days in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina,” he said. “We are now starting to get real attack ads pounding people.”

California investor William Oberndorf, who has given more than $1.5 million to Right to Rise, is one of the most prolific political donors in America. And he says that despite results to date, he has not given up on the value of super-PACs in the Republican presidential primaries.

“I think it is just too early to say,” Oberndorf told The Hill in an email.

Oberndorf contends that judging the results of Right to Rise’s spending so far is difficult because “Iowa is unusual as it is a caucus state [and] New Hampshire is unusual because it is so small, and retail politics play such a disproportionate role there.

“As a result, I think we will need to move into some larger states before we get a better feel for whether traditional media buys are moving the needle for candidates this election cycle or not.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Upset Republican donors: Have we wasted our money?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 07:08:40 pm »
The Jebbuh crowd thought they were gonna buy this election.

Oops.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 07:45:55 pm »
The Jebbuh crowd thought they were gonna buy this election.

Oops.

DITTO< It always worked before for the last 50+ years! :thud:

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 08:26:59 pm »
“People are upset about the Citizens United decision; people are upset about all this money flowing into politics, but at the end of the day it has no impact,” said New York financier Anthony Scaramucci, who was a national finance co-chair for Scott Walker’s presidential campaign before moving to raise funds for Bush when Walker quit the race.

Ta Daaa...  Freedom wins again...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 09:13:17 pm »
Man, the politicians aren't going to like this...donors waking up it going to cut into their disposable income.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 09:26:34 pm »

2016 GOPe

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 09:30:30 pm »
If you spent it on Jeb, Christie or Casich, [to quote a heroine of mine] "you betcha!"
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 11:02:52 pm »

2016 GOPe

Exactly!

I mean, these are supposed to be money people? And they don't get that pouring money into the political equivalent of New Coke is NOT going to get a return? Well, not even that - New Coke didn't actually taste that bad, while Jeb ....

One phrase that jumped out at me, in a fairly ominous way, was "earned media." Sure, that can be high profile good stuff the candidate does. Or it can be stunts. Guess which it's going to be.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 01:46:26 am »
Upset Republican donors: Have we wasted our money?

Gentlemen, I sincerely hope so!

Suckers, one and all!

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 02:20:12 am »
No one in their right mind would ever compare Donald Trump to Jesus, but believe it or not, there are metaphorical similarities.

Trump is disrupting the entrenched hierarchy and the billionaire oligarchy which controls them.

Trump is overturning the tables of the money-changers and chasing them out of the temple that is D.C.

Trump is being setup for a virtual crucifixion by the controlling powers that be.

Trump is constantly being charged with heresy of the highest order against the ruling elite and the dominant culture.

And like Jesus, the ruling class would like nothing more than to get rid of Donald Trump, in any way they can.

However, this time there is no Pontius Pilate to take care of their problem for them.

Interesting times.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 03:12:55 am »

Interesting times.

Yes, indeed.  And, that's usually considered a curse.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 03:20:15 am »
“I mean, with the free media, or whatever the term is, when they allow Trump to go on to every TV station in America — if there’s evidence that PACs are so consequential, please explain it to me,” Scaramucci said.
Indeed.

The "trusted" news media still control the hearts and minds of the American people, and because they continue to give Darth Combover free publicity, they have put him in front, just like they put Mitt Romney in front, just like they gave the electorate the three worst choices in 2008. Of course, now they've created a monster they can't control.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 03:22:32 am »
Indeed.

The "trusted" news media still control the hearts and minds of the American people, and because they continue to give Darth Combover free publicity, they have put him in front, just like they put Mitt Romney in front, just like they gave the electorate the three worst choices in 2008. Of course, now they've created a monster they can't control.

"Darth Combover"   That's funny.  I would never use that, but it IS funny.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 03:31:12 am »
"Darth Combover"   That's funny.  I would never use that, but it IS funny.
I've never been one for nicknames, but it was a way to avoid using the guy's name. All in humor, of course, and with Star Wars being big again it fit the times.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 03:37:20 am »
Indeed.

I could not agree more with what you said. I agree that the media and possibly the Democrats deliberately promoted Trump in the beginning, almost as a joke. They did not take him seriously at all. They always thought, and some still do, that his campaign was a publicity stunt and nothing more than that. And it is possible that it started that way.

But now the controlled burn they started to make fun of the Republicans, has turned into a national wildfire that they can no longer control. This is primarily due to Trump's mastery of manipulating the American press and media, combined the MSM's deep and fundamental misunderstanding of regular America.

The Democrats and the MSM who initially thought Trump was a fad, wound up with much more than they ever expected. And the GOPe is simply stunned, and paralyzed with shock. They have no idea what to do or how to proceed.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 04:00:03 am »
Indeed.

:amen:  :amen and  :amen:  :patriot:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien