Author Topic: Ted Cruz Just Unloaded on Donald Trump  (Read 2254 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ted Cruz Just Unloaded on Donald Trump
« on: January 12, 2016, 09:44:36 pm »
http://www.redstate.com/2016/01/12/ted-cruz-just-unloaded-donald-trump/

Ted Cruz Just Unloaded on Donald Trump

By: Leon H. Wolf (Diary)  |  January 12th, 2016 at 03:26 PM 

It appears that the bromance between Ted Cruz and Donald Trump is probably over for good. I mean, it was one thing to see Donald Trump openly attacking Cruz for days on end. We’ve seen that before, and never before had Cruz taken the bait. It appears that this method of dealing with Trump has finally reached its end in the Cruz campaign.

(CRUZ): I will say that it’s more than a little strange to see Donald relying on as authoritative a liberal, left-wing, judicial activist Harvard Law professor who is a huge Hillary supporter (Ed. note – Laurence Tribe). It starts to make you think, “Gosh, why are some of Hillary’s strongest supporters backing Trump?” You know, the last couple of elections the Democrats have gotten the nominee they wanted to run against in the general election. It seems the Hillary folks are very eager to support Donald Trump and the attacks that are being tossed my direction.

Welcome to the party, Ted Cruz. Better late than never to call Trump what he is.

I, for one, am glad that the prominent conservative personalities who have been pretending Trump is a conservative and talking about him positively to bolster their ratings, will finally have to choose between their wallet and their ideology (and credibility) in this battle between Trump and Cruz. It’s been a long time coming.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline katzenjammer

Re: Ted Cruz Just Unloaded on Donald Trump
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 09:55:08 pm »
(CRUZ): I will say that it’s more than a little strange to see Donald relying on as authoritative a liberal, left-wing, judicial activist Harvard Law professor who is a huge Hillary supporter (Ed. note – Laurence Tribe). It starts to make you think, “Gosh, why are some of Hillary’s strongest supporters backing Trump?” You know, the last couple of elections the Democrats have gotten the nominee they wanted to run against in the general election. It seems the Hillary folks are very eager to support Donald Trump and the attacks that are being tossed my direction.

Except that Tribe is NOT "backing Trump."  He is pointing out your (Cruz's) duplicity on this issue:

People are entitled to their own opinions about what the definition ought to be. But the kind of judge Cruz says he admires and would appoint to the Supreme Court is an “originalist,” one who claims to be bound by the narrowly historical meaning of the Constitution’s terms at the time of their adoption. To his kind of judge, Cruz ironically wouldn’t be eligible, because the legal principles that prevailed in the 1780s and ’90s required that someone actually be born on US soil to be a “natural born” citizen. Even having two US parents wouldn’t suffice. And having just an American mother, as Cruz did, would have been insufficient at a time that made patrilineal descent decisive.

(snip)

When Cruz was my constitutional law student at Harvard, he aced the course after making a big point of opposing my views in class — arguing stridently for sticking with the “original meaning” against the idea of a more elastic “living Constitution” whenever such ideas came up. I enjoyed jousting with him, but Ted never convinced me — nor did I convince him.

At least he was consistent in those days. Now, he seems to be a fair weather originalist, abandoning that method’s narrow constraints when it suits his ambition.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2016/01/11/through-ted-cruz-constitutional-looking-glass/zvKE6qpF31q2RsvPO9nGoK/story.html

Edited to add:  It is precisely that type of political double-speak (implying that Tribe is backing Trump) that I thought Mr. Cruz was above and beyond before this campaign season had started.

And it is beyond misleading to attempt to present the issue as a "Don Trump vs. Me (Cruz)" issue.  I think that ultimately Mr. Cruz will regret attempting to fool his supporters (and potential supporters) by playing the kind of game that he is playing with this issue. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 10:06:26 pm by katzenjammer »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 10:00:27 pm »
I read the professor Tribe article. It proves how ambitious, and inconsistent Cruz actually is.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 12:06:28 am »
Except that Tribe is NOT "backing Trump."  He is pointing out your (Cruz's) duplicity on this issue:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2016/01/11/through-ted-cruz-constitutional-looking-glass/zvKE6qpF31q2RsvPO9nGoK/story.html

Edited to add:  It is precisely that type of political double-speak (implying that Tribe is backing Trump) that I thought Mr. Cruz was above and beyond before this campaign season had started.

And it is beyond misleading to attempt to present the issue as a "Don Trump vs. Me (Cruz)" issue.  I think that ultimately Mr. Cruz will regret attempting to fool his supporters (and potential supporters) by playing the kind of game that he is playing with this issue.

goopo   Thanks.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 01:02:31 am »
It is a clever article.  But it doesn't change Cruz's point - that nothing would please Democrats more than to see Trump nominated.   They know their candidate is truly vulnerable,  and need a bogeyman to run against.    (Ironically,  Cruz will probably serve equally well in the role.  If conservatives are concerned about assembling a credible coalition that can win a general election and, coupled with a GOP Congress, actually accomplish some great things,  they'd chuck the radicalism and hucksterism and plump for, say, John Kasich.  But it seems we'd rather go down in flames, so .  .  . ) 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Longiron

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 02:05:53 am »
Good for CRUZ. Glad to see he has a pair to defend himself and I am sure TRUMP is smiling. :beer:

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 02:16:02 am »
Well, you can say whatever negative remarks you want about Cruz, but here is the reality of the matter.  Force Cruz out of the way and the two candidates that profit are Trump and Rubio.  Rubio as a natural born citizen is in question as well and the Donald (and you know he will) will go after Rubio and sink his ship with either another birther scenario or he'll bring up his finances. Once Rubio is gone, that leaves you know who waiting in the wings ... JEB!  So it will be Trump v. Bush ... who are you going to vote for?  Perhaps we will have what so many have wanted all along.  A Clinton v. Bush runoff.  Welcome to the White House madam president?

Again, say what you want about Cruz; but we have one real shot at a conservative.  A conservative who would shake up Washington and turn this country around.  His record as a Solicitor General and U.S. Senator speaks volumes.  Jeb and Rubio's record speak volumes as well.  Hillary's record resonates with more corruption than imaginable.  Then we have Trump, with no record, but certainly a 'talk' that 'talks'.   Who knows with him?

So...who do you prefer as your next Commander in Chief?  We have no other options folks.  Carson?  Kasich?  Paul, Fiorina, Huckabee?  They aren't even close.

I stand with Cruz!  Reignite the Promise of America.

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 03:12:56 am »
...ooops ... I left out Christie... another option, right?
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 04:53:54 am »
It is a clever article.  But it doesn't change Cruz's point - that nothing would please Democrats more than to see Trump nominated.   They know their candidate is truly vulnerable,  and need a bogeyman to run against.    (Ironically,  Cruz will probably serve equally well in the role.  If conservatives are concerned about assembling a credible coalition that can win a general election and, coupled with a GOP Congress, actually accomplish some great things,  they'd chuck the radicalism and hucksterism and plump for, say, John Kasich.  But it seems we'd rather go down in flames, so .  .  . )
You are trying to earn credibility and reputation for good judgment here, by touting Kasich?

Offline Carling

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 05:11:18 am »
Cruz' performance on Megan Kelly tonight only strengthened my support for him.

His harsh words toward Obama and Hillary will be devastating on the debate stage.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 06:07:41 am »
From what I read of Tribe's opinion piece, Tribe did not actualy opine that Cruz was not "natural born" but pointed out the inconsistency between Cruz's position and his normally originalist instincts.  Yet Trump is suggesting that Tribe has cast doubts on Cruz's eligibility.  I did not read all of Tribe's commentary, but I assume Tribe himself would think Cruz qualified since Tribe is not an originalist.  If so, then Trump is misleading.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 10:31:40 am »
From what I read of Tribe's opinion piece, Tribe did not actualy opine that Cruz was not "natural born" but pointed out the inconsistency between Cruz's position and his normally originalist instincts.  Yet Trump is suggesting that Tribe has cast doubts on Cruz's eligibility.  I did not read all of Tribe's commentary, but I assume Tribe himself would think Cruz qualified since Tribe is not an originalist.  If so, then Trump is misleading.

That's your mistake right there.  Without reading the whole article, you have no reasonable basis to imply that "Trump is misleading."

The entire article is worth reading, it opens with:

There’s more than meets the eye in the ongoing dustup over whether Ted Cruz is eligible to serve as president, which under the Constitution comes down to whether he’s a “natural born citizen” despite his 1970 Canadian birth. Senator Cruz contends his eligibility is “settled” by naturalization laws Congress enacted long ago. But those laws didn’t address, much less resolve, the matter of presidential eligibility, and no Supreme Court decision in the past two centuries has ever done so. In truth, the constitutional definition of a “natural born citizen” is completely unsettled, as the most careful scholarship on the question has concluded. Needless to say, Cruz would never take Donald Trump’s advice to ask a court whether the Cruz definition is correct, because that would in effect confess doubt where Cruz claims there is certainty.

Note: the part of the quote above that I highlighted in red, is a clue to why Cruz's claim falls apart.  While Mr. Tribe is correct, in the more general sense, that "constitutional definition of a “natural born citizen” is completely unsettled," in Mr. Cruz's case it is quite clear.  As I noted in many other posts here, Cruz's 'citizenship at birth' is clearly citizenship granted by statute, i.e., the historical naturalization acts that many claim provide a 'definition' of natural born citizenship (which they do not), and the version of the naturalization act operative on December 22, 1970 that governs the statutory grant of his citizenship (see below).

As Bigun has pointed out several times, Cruz himself never makes a claim of being a natural born Citizen (at least not when I have read/heard him speak on the topic).  And I have also noticed that most of his most strident supporters, e.g., Mark Levin, also never make the claim that he is a natural born Citizen.  What both of these learned men are doing, is attempting to ride the wave of confusion that the general populace (and a great deal of the political and media classes) has about the difference between a "natural born Citizen" and a "citizen at birth."  They both constantly bleat about people "doubting my (his) citizenship," when there has never been any serious doubt about his US citizenship at all.  Based on the birth facts that he and his campaign have presented, it is fairly certain that Mr. Cruz is a statutory US citizen (via the collective naturalization statute, see Sec. 301. [8 U.S.C. 1401 (g)] of IMMIGRATION AND NATIONALITY ACT (INA): ACT 301 - NATIONALS AND CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES AT BIRTH, in effect at the time of his birth).  (Again, remember that naturalization has a legal and Constitutional definition (that includes all forms of collective naturalization) beyond the most common form of proactive, voluntary naturalization that the foreign born undertake to remedy their alien status.)

That kind of lawyerly constructed double-speak and obfuscation is to be expected from most politicians and pundits, however it is extremely disappointing coming from the likes of Mr. Cruz and Mr. Levin.  But I guess none of us should be surprised, they both clearly want Mr. Cruz to win the nomination and election!

If Mr. Cruz were able to say, "I am a US citizen solely by the nature of my birth, I required no statutory provisions to be in effect at the time of my birth in Canada, to grant my citizenship as a foreign born individual." then he would actually be a natural born Citizen, and hence eligible for the Presidency of the United States.  But since he can't, he doesn't.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 11:24:08 am »
You are trying to earn credibility and reputation for good judgment here, by touting Kasich?

It depends on what your goal is.   If it's to put a Republican in the White House after eight disasterous years of Obama,  then he's as sound a choice as any.  If it's merely to vent anger or choose the most uncompromising conservative (electability be damned),  then not so much.

I'll answer to the label conservative, but I'm no ideologue, I'm a policy wonk.   If all you want is soundbites trashing Obamacare, then look elsewhere.  If you want to discuss in detail what's wrong with the law and what to do about it,  then let's talk.   Likewise,  cheap talk about building walls on the border and forcing Mexico to pay for it holds no appeal to me,  but effective formulas for immigration reform do.   

Ideology and six bits gets you a cup of coffee, AFAIC.   Tough talk gets you nowhere unless you can win elections and assemble the coalition to pass the legislation needed to change things.   Kasich is a leader in the old fashioned sense of the term,  like Reagan or Jack Kemp.   He has an ideological prism, to be sure,  but he's mainly about achieving incremental results by bringing folks together, not dividing them with easy or exploitative rhetoric.  He's also, for what it's worth, the most authentic Christian in the race, IMO.  That's important to me.   

Carly's been my first choice,  but as her candidacy fades (she'll be on the kiddie stage at the next debate),  I'm coming more and more to the conclusion that Kasich is the one who'll earn my vote,  by reason of substance, experience, temperament and electability.  I've already stated my main problem with Cruz and Rubio - they're mere babes, first term Senators like Obama was.   I've had enough of amateur hour.   I like Christie,  but he can't match Kasich's temperament and experience.   Kasich's resume is killer -  an Reagan revolutionary with decades of legislative and executive experience,  who's been elected and re-elected with huge majorities in a swing state.   

I understand Kasich isn't a sexy choice.   But I'm an old man;  I don't know from sexy.   Kasich can keep most conservatives together, expand the base,  win the election, and then do the hard work needed to craft and implement effective policy.   If wanting a real-world leader like that rather than a polemicist that sends tingles up Rush Limbaugh's leg doesn't earn me "credibility" around here, then so be it.   
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 12:16:58 pm by Jazzhead »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 02:22:56 pm »
That's your mistake right there.  Without reading the whole article, you have no reasonable basis to imply that "Trump is misleading."

The entire article is worth reading, it opens with:

Note: the part of the quote above that I highlighted in red, is a clue to why Cruz's claim falls apart.  While Mr. Tribe is correct, in the more general sense, that "constitutional definition of a “natural born citizen” is completely unsettled," in Mr. Cruz's case it is quite clear.  As I noted in many other posts here, Cruz's 'citizenship at birth' is clearly citizenship granted by statute, i.e., the historical naturalization acts that many claim provide a 'definition' of natural born citizenship (which they do not), and the version of the naturalization act operative on December 22, 1970 that governs the statutory grant of his citizenship (see below).

As Bigun has pointed out several times, Cruz himself never makes a claim of being a natural born Citizen (at least not when I have read/heard him speak on the topic).  And I have also noticed that most of his most strident supporters, e.g., Mark Levin, also never make the claim that he is a natural born Citizen.  What both of these learned men are doing, is attempting to ride the wave of confusion that the general populace (and a great deal of the political and media classes) has about the difference between a "natural born Citizen" and a "citizen at birth."  They both constantly bleat about people "doubting my (his) citizenship," when there has never been any serious doubt about his US citizenship at all.  Based on the birth facts that he and his campaign have presented, it is fairly certain that Mr. Cruz is a statutory US citizen (via the collective naturalization statute, see Sec. 301. [8 U.S.C. 1401 (g)] of IMMIGRATION AND NATIONALITY ACT (INA): ACT 301 - NATIONALS AND CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES AT BIRTH, in effect at the time of his birth).  (Again, remember that naturalization has a legal and Constitutional definition (that includes all forms of collective naturalization) beyond the most common form of proactive, voluntary naturalization that the foreign born undertake to remedy their alien status.)

That kind of lawyerly constructed double-speak and obfuscation is to be expected from most politicians and pundits, however it is extremely disappointing coming from the likes of Mr. Cruz and Mr. Levin.  But I guess none of us should be surprised, they both clearly want Mr. Cruz to win the nomination and election!

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclination, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

John Adams

If Mr. Cruz were able to say, "I am a US citizen solely by the nature of my birth, I required no statutory provisions to be in effect at the time of my birth in Canada, to grant my citizenship as a foreign born individual." then he would actually be a natural born Citizen, and hence eligible for the Presidency of the United States.  But since he can't, he doesn't.

And  would be knowingly prevaricating which he currently is not doing! 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 04:30:25 pm »
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclination, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

John Adams

And  would be knowingly prevaricating which he currently is not doing!

As usual, you are absolutely correct on both counts!   :patriot:

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 04:34:49 pm »
It depends on what your goal is.   If it's to put a Republican in the White House after eight disasterous years of Obama,  then he's as sound a choice as any.  If it's merely to vent anger or choose the most uncompromising conservative (electability be damned),  then not so much.

I'll answer to the label conservative, but I'm no ideologue, I'm a policy wonk.   If all you want is soundbites trashing Obamacare, then look elsewhere.  If you want to discuss in detail what's wrong with the law and what to do about it,  then let's talk.   Likewise,  cheap talk about building walls on the border and forcing Mexico to pay for it holds no appeal to me,  but effective formulas for immigration reform do.   

Ideology and six bits gets you a cup of coffee, AFAIC.   Tough talk gets you nowhere unless you can win elections and assemble the coalition to pass the legislation needed to change things.   Kasich is a leader in the old fashioned sense of the term,  like Reagan or Jack Kemp.   He has an ideological prism, to be sure,  but he's mainly about achieving incremental results by bringing folks together, not dividing them with easy or exploitative rhetoric.  He's also, for what it's worth, the most authentic Christian in the race, IMO.  That's important to me.   

Carly's been my first choice,  but as her candidacy fades (she'll be on the kiddie stage at the next debate),  I'm coming more and more to the conclusion that Kasich is the one who'll earn my vote,  by reason of substance, experience, temperament and electability.  I've already stated my main problem with Cruz and Rubio - they're mere babes, first term Senators like Obama was.   I've had enough of amateur hour.   I like Christie,  but he can't match Kasich's temperament and experience.   Kasich's resume is killer -  an Reagan revolutionary with decades of legislative and executive experience,  who's been elected and re-elected with huge majorities in a swing state.   

I understand Kasich isn't a sexy choice.   But I'm an old man;  I don't know from sexy.   Kasich can keep most conservatives together, expand the base,  win the election, and then do the hard work needed to craft and implement effective policy.   If wanting a real-world leader like that rather than a polemicist that sends tingles up Rush Limbaugh's leg doesn't earn me "credibility" around here, then so be it.

Good explanation. A bit inconsistent, first like Carly, then to argue for a lot of experience.

We are in an era where every school child "deserves" breakfast and lunch on the government, and then a free college education.

I think Kasich is a lot closer to saying yes, of course for those types of programs, and the size and cost of government which follows.

Part of that wonky problem is today you need a college education, to be a what was high school level a few short decades back.

And the government employees which run all of those schools, retire at age 55 on full  pay, after they sell the students on their entitlements.

A nation of "takers" is the product of big government.

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 04:59:44 pm »
Katz, thank you for your perspective.  Your post was so long I did not quote it.  Obviously I should have read the entire piece by Tribe.  Nonetheless, I see he says it is unsettled as opposed to certain that Cruz is not natural born.  But Trump is also just saying it is unsettled do I will admit my mistake and stand corrected.

Bottom line for me is that I do not care one way or the other.  Whether I support Cruz, and I may well down the road, has nothing to do with this particular issue. 

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 05:23:50 pm »
Katz, thank you for your perspective.  Your post was so long I did not quote it.  Obviously I should have read the entire piece by Tribe.  Nonetheless, I see he says it is unsettled as opposed to certain that Cruz is not natural born.  But Trump is also just saying it is unsettled do I will admit my mistake and stand corrected.

Bottom line for me is that I do not care one way or the other.  Whether I support Cruz, and I may well down the road, has nothing to do with this particular issue.

I understand, it is an issue (amongst many others) that each voter will come to terms with before voting.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 05:47:32 pm »
Good explanation. A bit inconsistent, first like Carly, then to argue for a lot of experience.

Guilty as charged - I've still not made up my mind, mainly because IMO we have an impressive slate of candidates who shine in different facets.   Carly's the one that excites me with her intelligence and ability to articulate what she's for.  And I count her time as CEO of a public company as good executive experience for the Presidency - I've never tended to favor Senators - especially first-term Senators - for the job.

She's, IMO, the best "conservative" choice.

At various times, I've considered Fiorina, Paul, Christie,  Walker, Perry and Kasich.   Perry and Walker are toast, and Fiorina and Paul are both just a small shove from the exit.   So it's coming down to Christie and Kasich for me.   Rubio or Cruz I'll support in the general, but not in the primary if I can help it. 

The only thing I know at this point with dead-bang certainty is that I will never vote for Trump, even in the general.   The man's a menace, to the party, to the nation, to our reputation around the world.   He is an embarrassment,  and his nomination will lead me, after 40 years, to leave the GOP.     
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 05:48:22 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 06:09:40 pm »
Guilty as charged - I've still not made up my mind, mainly because IMO we have an impressive slate of candidates who shine in different facets.   Carly's the one that excites me with her intelligence and ability to articulate what she's for.  And I count her time as CEO of a public company as good executive experience for the Presidency - I've never tended to favor Senators - especially first-term Senators - for the job.

She's, IMO, the best "conservative" choice.

At various times, I've considered Fiorina, Paul, Christie,  Walker, Perry and Kasich.   Perry and Walker are toast, and Fiorina and Paul are both just a small shove from the exit.   So it's coming down to Christie and Kasich for me.   Rubio or Cruz I'll support in the general, but not in the primary if I can help it. 

The only thing I know at this point with dead-bang certainty is that I will never vote for Trump, even in the general.   The man's a menace, to the party, to the nation, to our reputation around the world.   He is an embarrassment,  and his nomination will lead me, after 40 years, to leave the GOP.   

I would much rather see Trump as president than Hillary or Bernie.  You are entitled to vote for whom you want and to your opinion of each of the candidates, but I have a couple of websites that I would like to share with you and you can look up each of the candidate's positions on various issues:

www.conservativereview.com

www.ontheissues.org