Author Topic: Paul: Cruz is a 'natural-born Canadian'  (Read 269 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Paul: Cruz is a 'natural-born Canadian'
« on: January 11, 2016, 10:44:11 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/265465-paul-cruz-is-a-natural-born-canadian

January 11, 2016, 05:21 pm
Paul: Cruz is a 'natural-born Canadian'

By Harper Neidig

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) is calling 2016 White House rival Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) a "natural-born Canadian" and saying the Supreme Court may need to weigh in on his eligibility for the presidency.

"I think without question, everybody would accept that, you know, Cruz is a natural-born Canadian, that he was naturally born there," Paul said in an interview on Fox News on Monday.

"The question is can you be a natural-born Canadian and a natural-born American at the same time, maybe, but I think the courts will have to decide it, because it's never really been decided."

The Kentucky senator clarified that he wasn't calling into question Cruz's citizenship, saying that the constitutional requirements for holding executive office are more ambiguous than those for becoming a citizen.

"The only part of the Constitution that says 'natural-born' is with regard to the president. So it appears to be a unique qualification, and most people have interpreted they have to be born in the U.S. until recently.

"I think the Democrats are going to force it to be adjudicated, and I think the Supreme Court is going to have to decide it," he added.

Cruz was born in Canada to an American mother and a Cuban father, leading GOP rival Donald Trump to raise questions about his eligibility for the White House. 

Rep. Alan Grayson (D-Fla.) has also vowed to file a lawsuit challenging Cruz's eligibility if the senator and Iowa front-runner wins the GOP nomination.

Cruz made the case for his eligibility for president on Sunday, saying any legal questions had been settled.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline katzenjammer

Re: Paul: Cruz is a 'natural-born Canadian'
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 11:05:08 pm »
The criteria that some are using to deem him a natural born citizen would make him a natural born citizen of Cuba, Canada, and the United States.   :shrug: