Author Topic: Juan Williams: Angry white women  (Read 2379 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Juan Williams: Angry white women
« on: January 11, 2016, 02:50:53 pm »
http://thehill.com/opinion/juan-williams/265305-juan-williams-angry-white-women

By Juan Williams - 01/11/16 06:00 AM EST

Who knew white women had become so angry?

The anger animating the divide between the GOP establishment and the GOP grassroots is always presented in terms of angry white men.

It is impossible to ignore, as The Washington Post’s Jennifer Rubin noted last week, that Republican media and political culture these days, both in Congress and on the campaign trail, is “perpetually angry.”

But a new poll shows that white women are the angriest of angry voters.

The NBC News/Esquire magazine poll, conducted with Survey Monkey, found 54 percent of white Americans have been getting angrier over current events during the past year.

That is far higher than the 43 percent of Latinos and 33 percent of black Americans who say the last year of political, economic and cultural events have left them feeling angry. In fact, 73 percent of whites (compared to 66 percent of Hispanics and 56 percent of blacks) say they get angry “at least once per day.”

And the angriest white people are white women.

Fifty-eight percent of white women say they are angrier right now than a year ago. Only 51 percent of white men say the same thing, as do just 44 percent of non-white women and 32 percent of non-white men.

In political terms, the anger of white Republican women is at the heart of the finding that Republicans are far angrier about the nation’s direction than Democrats. Sixty-one percent of Republicans say they are in a political rage over current events as compared to 42 percent of Democrats.

Just as the scale of anger among white Republican women is a surprise so is its shape. A December Quinnipiac poll found 27 percent of Republican women backing businessman Donald Trump, only slightly behind the 30 percent of white Republican men who do so.

And while Trump does far better with Republican men who do not have a college degree (74 percent approval) than among GOP male college graduates (57 percent approval), the picture is more consistent with his female boosters. The same poll found half of women with a college degree rate Trump favorably. That is hardly any different than the 51 percent of Republican women without a college degree who back Trump.

These angry white Republican women seem indifferent to the political storms stirred by Trump’s comments about women, ranging from his “blood coming out of her wherever” comment about my Fox News colleague Megyn Kelly to insulting Carly Fiorina, the only women running for the GOP nomination, by telling a reporter: “Look at that face – would anyone vote for that?”

Of course, Trump has also skewered the white woman fighting for the Democratic nomination. He belittled former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton as a woman who got “schlonged” in the 2008 primaries and described her bathroom break during a recent debate as “disgusting.”

None of that has hurt Trump with white Republican women.

Polls consistently show that Trump's support is strongest among older people. A third of his backers in most polls are over age 65 and about another half are aged between 45 and 64. Among women in those age-groups, it seems plausible that anger about larger political issues, from high rates of immigration to concern about their retirement income, outweighs any concern about Trump’s slights aimed at other white women.

Overall, whites feel a far deeper concern about those issues.

On immigration, for example, the issue that boosted Trump to the lead in national polls, only 43 percent of whites agree that “immigrants strengthen our country,” according to the NBC News/Esquire poll. That is much lower than the 63 percent of blacks and the 73 percent of Hispanics who see the upside to immigration.

The fuel feeding the fire of rage among whites, according to the poll, has three sources: concern that the U.S. is no longer the world’s most powerful nation; the belief that the American dream is dying for their children; and the realization that it is harder for their middle-class families to keep up than they expected it to be.

Even as the nation remains mostly white, with most of its wealth and political power securely in white hands, the pollsters concluded whites today are feeling “the anger of perceived disenfranchisement — a sense that the majority has become a persecuted minority, the bitterness of promise that didn’t pan out — rather than actual hardship.”

It is striking that black and Hispanic Americans are more optimistic than whites and far less angry — even as 70 percent of blacks admit to anger at how society treats them.

Esquire’s report on the polling noted that while non-white Americans report they have a tougher time paying bills, blacks are “more likely than whites to believe that the American dream is still alive; that America is still the most powerful country in the world; that race relations have improved over the past eight years; and most important in the context of expectations, that their financial situation is better than they thought it would be when they were younger.”

So where is the white Republican anger, especially the growing female white anger, heading? It is fracturing the GOP, leaving the party at war with itself.

But to what end?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Relic

Re: Juan Williams: Angry white women
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 02:56:44 pm »
For every angry white woman, there is another who will vote for Hillary simply because she has the appropriate plumbing.

Obama wrote off working class whites and won. It's an even more viable strategy now, given the division amongst conservatives and the influx of new Democrats.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 05:36:39 pm »
There's a difference betweem being angry, and being stupid.   A vote for Trump is a vote for four years of Hillary. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 05:41:47 pm »
It is logically incompetent to state your opinion as if it were fact.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 05:48:55 pm »
For every angry white woman, there is another who will vote for Hillary simply because she has the appropriate plumbing.

Obama wrote off working class whites and won. It's an even more viable strategy now, given the division amongst conservatives and the influx of new Democrats.

He could write them off because he had the unions and the hatred of Bush (and later Romney reinforced the unions for him with his 47% comment).  The Republicans need to go get the working class whites and bring them in - that's their key to victory.  Hillary will not draw them in and she won't get the blacks like Obama did either.  The old Reagan Democrats - the blue collars - are the Republican key to victory this year.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 06:07:07 pm »
I knew women were angry.

And, as to the other point, one of my neighbors has a "Ready for Hillary 2016" bumper sticker.  I want one of those "Hillary for Prison 2016" bumper stickers.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 07:02:18 pm »
I'm a white woman and I know I'm angrier than I've ever been.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Millee

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 07:03:55 pm »
I'm a white woman and I know I'm angrier than I've ever been.

Ditto. 

Angry and scared and disgusted.....  **nononono*

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 01:30:13 pm »
It is logically incompetent to state your opinion as if it were fact.

Of course, I'm speculating that Trump can't win a general election, but polling backs me up.   You can't win a general election without attracting moderates and independents, and polls show that large percentages of these groups won't consider Trump under any circumstances.  So, too, will many Republicans.   There's no possible way I'll vote for Trump in the general - and I've been voting GOP for forty years.

Trumpism WILL be defeated.   It will either be defeated by voting this spring for a principled conservative, or by voting in the fall for Hillary Clinton.  The choice is yours.   

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 03:58:16 pm »
Of course, I'm speculating that Trump can't win a general election, but polling backs me up.   You can't win a general election without attracting moderates and independents, and polls show that large percentages of these groups won't consider Trump under any circumstances.  So, too, will many Republicans.   There's no possible way I'll vote for Trump in the general - and I've been voting GOP for forty years.

Trumpism WILL be defeated.   It will either be defeated by voting this spring for a principled conservative, or by voting in the fall for Hillary Clinton.  The choice is yours.   

I've noticed they've moved Carly Fiorina back to the kiddie debate for this week. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 04:08:24 pm »
I've noticed they've moved Carly Fiorina back to the kiddie debate for this week.

I think that's a shame.  On the other hand,  she had her best performance in the kiddie debate,  getting so much favorable press that her numbers jumped and she made it onto the main stage.

Maybe she can do it again.  With only three or four on the stage (Paul may not show up),  she can do what she does best -articulate, with passion, intelligence and integrity,  her views on the issues of the day.  She can go into detail, sidestep the Trump carnival, and shine like a diamond.   

What she needs to do better is smile more and project warmth.  She came across great on Jimmy Kimmel a couple of months back (it's on YouTube), where she was able to show her personal side.   

We need to keep remembering that there are a slew of primaries AFTER Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina and the SEC primaries where mainstreet conservatives can make their choices known.   Trump won't be the nominee - ultimately, I trust we won't have the capacity for suicide.   
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 04:10:14 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 04:17:54 pm »

Are you saying YOU will vote for Hillary vs. Trump ??
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 04:43:30 pm »
Are you saying YOU will vote for Hillary vs. Trump ??

This is what he said up-thread:

There's no possible way I'll vote for Trump in the general - and I've been voting GOP for forty years.

I'll draw my own conclusions from that, I'm sure you will too. 
 :nometalk:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 04:48:33 pm »
I've actually gotten angrier as Trump support has grown. 

I want to know why people who claim conservatism support a guy who doesn't have a conservative bone in his body just because they're "angry."

My anger drives me toward stronger principles, not weaker, or non-existent principles.

And that drives me far, far, FAR away from Donald Trump.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 05:34:38 pm »
This is what he said up-thread:

I'll draw my own conclusions from that, I'm sure you will too. 
 :nometalk:

I'm still confident that Trump's not going to be the nominee.   If he is, I'm not voting for him. No way in hell.  I will not be a good German.   

Hillary vs. Trump would be the ultimate example of being forced to vote for the lesser of two evils.  A dangerous demogogue vs. the second coming of Richard Nixon.  There is simply no way, if that's the choice,  that there won't a tremendous clamor for an honest centrist to run third party.   I have some ideas about how that may emerge,  but I'll keep them under my hat for now.     
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 05:36:58 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 05:37:43 pm »
I've actually gotten angrier as Trump support has grown. 

I want to know why people who claim conservatism support a guy who doesn't have a conservative bone in his body just because they're "angry."

My anger drives me toward stronger principles, not weaker, or non-existent principles.

And that drives me far, far, FAR away from Donald Trump.

Amen,  sister.