Author Topic: NFL playoff thread (Jan. 2016)  (Read 6477 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
NFL playoff thread (Jan. 2016)
« on: January 11, 2016, 12:39:07 am »
A running thread for the playoffs.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: NFL playoff thread (Jan. 2016)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 12:42:56 am »
Wild Card: Seattle 10, Minnesota 9
Minnesota Heartbreak: Blair Walsh's missed kick will live in infamy for Vikings

For the second straight day, a home playoff team has gone down in heartbreaking fashion.

Vikings coaches, players and fans were left to peer into the void after watching Blair Walsh miss a 27-yard field-goal attempt in the final seconds of Sunday's crushing 10-9 wild-card loss to the Seattle Seahawks.

Walsh's kick wasn't blocked or nicked or deflected. He just missed it, putting him in inglorious company with fellow franchise scapegoat Gary Anderson, who infamously botched a critical 38-yard kick against the Falcons in the 1998 NFC Championship Game.

Full story:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000620581/article/blair-walshs-missed-kick-will-live-in-infamy-for-vikings

Game recap:
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016011000/2015/POST18/seahawks@vikings#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000620675&tab=recap
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 12:49:02 am by jmyrlefuller »

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 12:47:59 am »
Wild Card: Kansas City 30, Houston 0
Chiefs pummel Texans in 30-0 shutout win

Game recap:
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016010900/2015/POST18/chiefs@texans#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000620477&tab=recap

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 12:53:31 am »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 12:56:41 am »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 12:59:38 am »
Wild Card: Kansas City 30, Houston 0
Chiefs pummel Texans in 30-0 shutout win

Game recap:
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016010900/2015/POST18/chiefs@texans#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000620477&tab=recap

Houston quarterback cannot distinguish his Teams blue jerseys from the Kc red jerseys! Game over!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 01:00:16 am by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 02:57:16 am »
Cincinnati is a dirty team.  I'm glad they lost.  And I grew up hating the Steelers.  It was Karma, at its best.

Houston just looked bad.  They deserved to lose.   I didn't care who won.

The Vikings should have won.  Heartbreaking loss.  Lots of family and friends in MN.  Inexplicable.

The Packers came together and pummeled the Redskins.  I enjoyed this game.  Aaron Rodgers is back.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 08:03:07 pm »
A lot of people are calling for Marvin Lewis' head, saying he's incapable of controlling his players (Jones, Burfict), but I don't know if any head coach could prevent such thugs from engaging in the kind of behavior they did vs the Steelers. I wish all head coaches would tell their players not to grab helmets when tackling or make head-to-head hits (or do stupid touchdown celebrations, for that matter) at the risk of being yanked from the playing field, but some of these guys don't seem to have faced consequences for bad behavior in their entire lives, and the coach's threat just wouldn't have an effect.   :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 08:26:58 pm »
A lot of people are calling for Marvin Lewis' head, saying he's incapable of controlling his players (Jones, Burfict), but I don't know if any head coach could prevent such thugs from engaging in the kind of behavior they did vs the Steelers. I wish all head coaches would tell their players not to grab helmets when tackling or make head-to-head hits (or do stupid touchdown celebrations, for that matter) at the risk of being yanked from the playing field, but some of these guys don't seem to have faced consequences for bad behavior in their entire lives, and the coach's threat just wouldn't have an effect.   :shrug:

Boomer Esiason asked the question about whether or not Lewis should be on the sidelines.

I don't know.

The points you make are good ones.  I think the refs are partly responsible.  Burfict should have been penalized for running off the field with the ball, and IMO, he should have been ejected for his attempt to decapitate a Steeler.

I think if Lewis gives the goons a hefty fine and benches them next season, he's done all he can do.

You can't control this level of bad behavior by words.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 08:29:38 pm »
Super Bowl I to air after long-lost footage surfaces
Billed as “The Lost Game,” the airing of Super Bowl I will take place on January 15 at 8 p.m. ET on NFL Network. According to the league, the presentation will include wired sound from Lombardi, the hard-charging coach who would be dead of cancer just three years later.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/11/super-bowl-to-air-after-long-lost-footage-surfaces.html?intcmp=hpbt4

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 08:35:46 pm »

But contractually imposed stiff fines for such behaviors would have great affect!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Millee

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 08:38:04 pm »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 08:39:47 pm »

Oooo............ that's harsh! ^-^
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 08:40:15 pm by musiclady »

Offline flowers

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 08:47:06 pm »
Cincinnati is a dirty team.  I'm glad they lost.  And I grew up hating the Steelers.  It was Karma, at its best.

Houston just looked bad.  They deserved to lose.   I didn't care who won.

The Vikings should have won.  Heartbreaking loss.  Lots of family and friends in MN.  Inexplicable.

The Packers came together and pummeled the Redskins.  I enjoyed this game.  Aaron Rodgers is back.
I had wanted the Steelers to loose. When the fans threw bottles at Ben on the way to the locker room and all the other dirty things bengals did. I am happy they lost.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 08:59:42 pm »
Super Bowl I to air after long-lost footage surfaces
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/11/super-bowl-to-air-after-long-lost-footage-surfaces.html?intcmp=hpbt4

Thanks for that, Ed.  I will look forward to catching that!

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 09:01:28 pm »

I was doubting his ability to stay on even if they hadn't lost the game in that way.

I think that it is 6 out of the last 7 seasons now, a loss in the first round of the playoffs.

But apparently they are sticking with him for now, from the last I heard.   :shrug:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 09:05:20 pm »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 09:38:58 pm »
I had wanted the Steelers to loose. When the fans threw bottles at Ben on the way to the locker room and all the other dirty things bengals did. I am happy they lost.

I think the all around bad behavior of the Bengals and fans turned a lot of minds during the game.

I grew up a Browns' fan (and still would be if there were actually a team to be for.... :shrug: ), so I'm pretty much neutral between the Steelers and Bengals.

But when the Bengals lost the game because of their bad behavior, I cheered more than I did for anything all weekend.

I share Boomer Esiason's view................... it was embarrassing.

Offline flowers

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 09:49:40 pm »
I think the all around bad behavior of the Bengals and fans turned a lot of minds during the game.

I grew up a Browns' fan (and still would be if there were actually a team to be for.... :shrug: ), so I'm pretty much neutral between the Steelers and Bengals.

But when the Bengals lost the game because of their bad behavior, I cheered more than I did for anything all weekend.

I share Boomer Esiason's view................... it was embarrassing.
I was glad as well. I just read the Bengals players have more arrests than the rest of the NFL teams.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 10:30:25 pm »
I'm a Stillers fan and was resigned to a loss with 2 minutes to go on Saturday. Why the heck a few Bungles imploded to the point of costing  their team the game is incomprehensible.  The players' heads should roll, even if the coach keeps his job.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 10:34:56 pm »
Since the Redskins got their rear ends handed to them, I am going with KC for the rest of the playoffs....
I support out native American teams...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 10:36:13 pm by EdinVA »

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 10:51:07 pm »
As a Bucs fan I have no dog in the playoffs....  I will probably root for the Panthers to rep us in the NFC South!!

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2016, 11:49:37 pm »
As a Bucs fan I have no dog in the playoffs....  I will probably root for the Panthers to rep us in the NFC South!!
Interesting.

As a Canadian football fan (my team's the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, by the way) I don't have a direct dog in this fight either. BUT... being from Western New York and Bills territory (which again means no dog in this fight) I could never imagine rooting for the hated New England Patriots "to rep us in the AFC East." In fact, I'd rather root AGAINST the Patriots.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 11:54:22 pm »

Well, it's bad for me as I am a Seahawk's fan and my wife is a Carolina fan...or I should say Cam fan (daughter went to Auburn).  Made me buy her a Cam shirt for the game next week.  Don't like this at all.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 12:03:42 am »
Interesting.

As a Canadian football fan (my team's the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, by the way) I don't have a direct dog in this fight either. BUT... being from Western New York and Bills territory (which again means no dog in this fight) I could never imagine rooting for the hated New England Patriots "to rep us in the AFC East." In fact, I'd rather root AGAINST the Patriots.

Yeah, I know I am a bit odd in that way.  Of course, when the Bucs are facing a divisional rival, I am rooting against them.  But once the game is over, I really don't have a lot of ill will toward the teams.  In fact, even though the announcers will often make a lot out of "these teams hate each other," if you watch all of the hugs, handshakes, and joint prayers after most games, I don't think most of them have much "hate" either!

Free agency has eliminated a lot of team rivalries in most sports.