Author Topic: Donald Trump Praises Man He Once Called A Neo-Nazi  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Donald Trump Praises Man He Once Called A Neo-Nazi
« on: January 10, 2016, 06:43:59 pm »
http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/donald-trump-praises-man-he-once-called-a-neo-nazi

Republican frontrunner Donald Trump praised Pat Buchanan on Twitter Saturday, a man he once called a neo-Nazi and a dangerous demagogue.

Now, Trump says, Buchanan was ahead of his time.

Donald J. Trump✔@realDonaldTrump

Pat Buchanan gave a fantastic interview this morning on @CNN - way to go Pat, way ahead of your time!
6:22 AM - 9 Jan 2016

Flashback to 2000, when Trump briefly flirted with a run for the Reform Party’s presidential nomination. In that race, Trump sought to save the Reform Party from the possibility of a Buchanan nomination (Buchanan had also repeatedly sought the Republican nomination previously).

Trump took a parting shot at Buchanan when he declined to seek the presidency in 2000, calling him a neo-Nazi.

“The Reform Party now includes a Klansman, Mr. Duke, a neo-Nazi, Mr. Buchanan, and a communist, Ms. Fulani,” Trump’s 2000 statement read. “This is not company I wish to keep.”

Trump wrote in his 2000 campaign book The America We Deserve, “Pat Buchanan has been guilty of many egregious examples of intolerance. He has systematically bashed Blacks, Mexicans, and Gays.”

Trump, oddly enough, said Buchanan had said too many outrageous things to be president.

“Simply put, Pat Buchanan has written too many inflammatory, outrageous, and controversial things to ever be elected president,” wrote Trump in his book.

As previously noted by BuzzFeed News, Buchanan’s 2000 platform was identical to Trump’s in a number of ways. Buchanan was a protectionist on trade, used harsh rhetoric on immigration, wanted to limit donor influence in politics, and spoke loudly against Washington corruption.

On CNN on Saturday, Buchanan praised Trump saying, “Trump has raised the very issues I raised in the early nineties..”

In one Los Angeles Times op-ed titled “Buchanan Is Too Wrong to Correct,” The Donald said that Buchanan was a very dangerous man” saying on “slow days, he attacks gays, immigrants, welfare recipients, even Zulus.”

And, speaking with The Advocate in 1999, Trump called Buchanan’s past works “disgusting.”

“I used to like Pat,” said Trump in the interview. “I was on Crossfire with him. I thought he was a nice guy. Then I read the things he had written about Hitler, Jews, blacks, gays, and Mexicans. I mean, I think it’s disgusting. That speech he made at the ‘92 Republican convention was a disaster. He wants to divide Americans. Clearly, he has a love affair with Adolf Hitler, and that’s sick. Buchanan actually said gay people had chosen ‘satan[ism] and suicide’ Now he says he welcomes gay people into his campaign. The guy is a hypocrite.”

Offline musiclady

Re: Donald Trump Praises Man He Once Called A Neo-Nazi
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 06:53:17 pm »
It won't make any difference to his fan club.  He can say anything........ completely opposite of anything else he's said, and he's still perfect.   **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 09:00:35 pm »
The man is a walking, talking entanglement of contradictions, apparently devoid of any philosophical center.  That makes him hard for me to support, but it also makes him formidable as a political opponent because he is acmoving target whose supporters don't much care what new contradictory positions he might embrace.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 09:09:31 pm »
The man is a walking, talking entanglement of contradictions, apparently devoid of any philosophical center.  That makes him hard for me to support, but it also makes him formidable as a political opponent because he is acmoving target whose supporters don't much care what new contradictory positions he might embrace.

It's clear he is formidable because he has no core.  And anyone who thinks he isn't a politician, isn't paying much attention.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 09:43:19 pm »
 :silly:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 10:01:09 pm »

Well said! And absolutely true!   :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 10:04:25 pm »

He's a businessman, first and foremost, not a politician.  I would say he absolutely does have a philosophical center - that of "making America great again".  His ideas of how to do that are not centered in a political sense of left or right - but in a sense of getting the job done. 

I find it refreshing and fascinating to watch, frankly. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 10:23:58 pm »
Awhile back, I heard Nixon stated he could have been a Republican or Democrat. Supposedly in a book or interview.

I believe it is fair to say that in Nixon's time, parties were closer together in terms of pure political philosophy. There were conservative democrats, and moderate/liberal Republicans.

Trump is nearly 70 years of age. He probably thinks more along those lines.

His political philosophy is whatever works, for the circumstances at hand. Raw pragmatism.

Hence people view him as "fluid." If the alternative is any democrat, Trump gets my vote without reservation.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 10:49:52 pm »
Awhile back, I heard Nixon stated he could have been a Republican or Democrat. Supposedly in a book or interview.

I believe it is fair to say that in Nixon's time, parties were closer together in terms of pure political philosophy. There were conservative democrats, and moderate/liberal Republicans.

Trump is nearly 70 years of age. He probably thinks more along those lines.

His political philosophy is whatever works, for the circumstances at hand. Raw pragmatism.

Hence people view him as "fluid." If the alternative is any democrat, Trump gets my vote without reservation.

A yellow dog gets my vote over any democrat aka communist.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 12:17:36 am »
So, true. I was reading yesterday his attempts at the use of eminent domain to further his business at the expense of a homeowner and thought it so contradictory to the sentiments of most conservatives. For me, he just embodies the persona of a flamboyount, over-the-top, will do anything to further himself, rich man. Definitely, not the salt-of-the-earth, work hard, entrepreneurs conservatives hold in high esteem. If he makes it to the general election I still think his loss will be on a scale rarely seen because of his persona and his well documented, past. Too many videos of over-the-top statements made by Trump will come back to haunt him.
http://news.yahoo.com/will-trump-s-use-of-eminent-domain-come-back-to-haunt-him-125822274.html;_ylt=AwrXnCIfx5JW2B4A4E3QtDMD;_ylu=X3oDMTByb2lvbXVuBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--

Trump's supporters don't care what he says at this point.  They are oblivious to what a Trump presidency may actually be like.  His over the top statements and his flamboyancy is what people are drawn to.  He knows how to push the disgruntled electorate's buttons in order to get them to believe that he is a conservative and will lead this country in a different direction.  He is a businessman and he will be out for Trump rather than for the average Joe.  I fear he would be much like Hussein with phone and pen in hand.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 01:40:10 am »
Trump's supporters don't care what he says at this point.  They are oblivious to what a Trump presidency may actually be like.  His over the top statements and his flamboyancy is what people are drawn to.  He knows how to push the disgruntled electorate's buttons in order to get them to believe that he is a conservative and will lead this country in a different direction.  He is a businessman and he will be out for Trump rather than for the average Joe.  I fear he would be much like Hussein with phone and pen in hand.

How do you know all those accusations from what people are drawn to and how he would be as a POTUS? Because he is a successful businessman he will be out for himself. So every successful person is a brick and just out for themselves ? Including doctors, dentists, engineers anyone that is successful. Everyone's is a business person if you work  for anyone including yourself because you need a customer to pay for goods or services of some kind.! AMAZING the rationale the haters have for the only non  politican in a race that has been screwed up this country by all POLITICANS all owned by DONARS.  :chairbang:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 01:43:21 am by Longiron »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 02:50:47 am »

There is nothing rational to make anyone believe otherwise.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 03:09:50 am »
How do you know all those accusations from what people are drawn to and how he would be as a POTUS? Because he is a successful businessman he will be out for himself. So every successful person is a brick and just out for themselves ? Including doctors, dentists, engineers anyone that is successful. Everyone's is a business person if you work  for anyone including yourself because you need a customer to pay for goods or services of some kind.! AMAZING the rationale the haters have for the only non  politican in a race that has been screwed up this country by all POLITICANS all owned by DONARS.  :chairbang:

I have never stated that I hate Trump.  Sorry to make accusations and assumptions; rather I should have stated I was giving my opinion.  As time continues on, I am becoming more and more skeptical of Trump.  I am definitely not ridiculing Trump's success. He is indeed a successful businessman.  However, running a business is not the same as running a government; particularly our Republic. I am basing my judgement of Trump by his personality, what he says, how he says it, and the reaction of people. What else do we have to judge him by?  He has no voting record.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 03:10:20 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.