Author Topic: Inhofe endorses Rubio for GOP nomination  (Read 396 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Inhofe endorses Rubio for GOP nomination
« on: January 10, 2016, 02:07:16 am »
http://newsok.com/article/5471642

WASHINGTON _ Sen. Jim Inhofe endorsed Sen. Marco Rubio for the Republican presidential nomination on Saturday, becoming the second Oklahoman in Congress to back the first-term Florida lawmaker.
Inhofe, R-Tulsa, called Rubio “a solid conservative” and said he would be the strongest Republican candidate against Hillary Clinton if the former secretary of state secures the Democratic nomination.
Inhofe, who has been in the Senate since 1994, is perhaps best known as the most vocal skeptic in Congress of man-made global warming. He is also a defense hawk and a booster of federal spending on roads and other public works projects; he is chairman of the Environment and Public Works Committee and a senior member of the Armed Services Committee.
He backed former Texas Gov. Rick Perry for the GOP nomination four years ago.
“Marco and I have shared, similar values, such as working for a smaller federal government and putting an end to wasteful spending,” Inhofe said in a prepared statement.
“At the same time, we both recognize the need for the United States to be a global leader and that it requires a well-supported, world-class military that can safely and effectively answer when called upon.
“As a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Marco consistently demonstrates that he understands what it will take to keep America safe and to rebuild our place of leadership in the world. He is also one of the most informed and most knowledgeable critics of the Obama administration’s failed foreign policy, not only regarding ISIS in the Middle East, but across the globe.
“Marco has demonstrated sound judgment in knowing who our allies are and who they are not.”
Inhofe also endorsed Rubio’s positions on overhauling the Veterans Affairs Department, repealing the Affordable Care Act, reducing federal involvement in public education and rolling back environmental regulations.
Rep. Markwayne Mullin, R-Westville, has also endorsed Rubio, who has the backing of several state lawmakers in Oklahoma.
Rep. Jim Bridenstine, R-Tulsa, has endorsed Sen. Ted Cruz, of Texas, in the GOP race.
The other four members of Oklahoma’s congressional delegation have not endorsed a candidate.
Oklahoma’s presidential primaries are set for March 1, when 10 states are holding Republican and Democratic contests.

Another RINOGOPe hack endorses Rubio

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: Inhofe endorses Rubio for GOP nomination
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 02:40:44 pm »
Do such endorsements translate into voter support? (Serious question)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 03:35:54 pm »
I asked a similar question (it was about pastors endorsing).  :shrug:

Seems to me that if you like/respect the person giving the endorsement, you are at least going to pause and think about where your vote is going. Even LiV's are going to feel that, which is why the left were so damned smart to get a lock on the entertainment biz years before they did on education.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 10:20:56 pm »
Do such endorsements translate into voter support? (Serious question)

They carry no weight with me. Just another person's opinion.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

HonestJohn

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 11:03:48 pm »
Standing national-level politicians are delegates in each party's national convention.  Each endorsement is a delegate vote there.