Author Topic: Mr. Rubio accused Chris Christie of having a record similar to President Obama's on issues like education, gun control and abortion.  (Read 408 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Seriously, I try to be balanced regarding candidates when I post, but YOU try finding articles about the sub 5% crowd!!  :laugh:

Mr. Rubio, a senator from Florida, and Mr. Christie, the New Jersey governor, are attacking each other with a notable intensity, and in an interview Thursday on Fox Business Network, Mr. Rubio asserted that Mr. Christie “has done a number of things that are very similar to the Obama agenda,” giving several examples. We looked into his claims.

“The fact of the matter is Chris Christie has supported Common Core and in fact has bad-mouthed Republicans that oppose it.”

Mr. Christie was previously a supporter of the Common Core education standards. “This is one of those areas where I’ve agreed more with the president than not,” he said in 2013.

But Mr. Christie had plenty of company: More than 40 states adopted the Common Core standards.

Mr. Christie’s bad-mouthing was also mild, particularly by his standards. He attributed some of the Common Core opposition among congressional Republicans to “that knee-jerk reaction that’s happening in Washington right now that if the president likes something, the Republicans in Congress don’t,” and vice versa.

Mr. Christie has since changed his position on Common Core, which has become an object of scorn among conservatives who view it as an example of government overreach. In May, Mr. Christie said that Common Core was “simply not working.”

“Chris Christie has supported gun control. Chris Christie supported an assault weapons ban. It’s the reason why he got into politics to begin with.”

In 1993, Mr. Christie, then a 30-year-old lawyer, announced that he would try to unseat a Republican state senator.

"The issue which has energized me to get into this race is the recent attempt by certain Republican legislators to repeal New Jersey's ban on assault weapons," Mr. Christie said in a statement, according to an article at the time in The Star-Ledger of Newark. "In today's society, no one needs a semiautomatic assault weapon."

He took a similar stance two years later when he was running for the state’s General Assembly. Even as recently as 2009, when he was running for governor, Mr. Christie supported strict gun laws. “FACT: Chris Christie supports the assault weapons ban and all current gun laws,” his campaign said in a news release.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/us/elections/fact-check.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline musiclady

Chris Christie talks a good game and campaigns well, but his record is atrocious.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline libertybele

Chris Christie talks a good game and campaigns well, but his record is atrocious.

Chris Christie's claim to fame is that he is REP in a very liberal state.  Rubio is correct; Christie has a similar record to Obama's on those issues, but Rubio has a similar record to Obama's on amnesty and immigration.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.