Author Topic: Medals policy overhaul includes new 'C' device for combat  (Read 2229 times)

rangerrebew

Medals policy overhaul includes new 'C' device for combat
« on: January 09, 2016, 01:05:12 pm »
Medals policy overhaul includes new 'C' device for combat

Officials have confirmed that a U.S. service member was killed during a counterterrorism operation in southern Afghanistan. Two more were injured.
By Andrew Tilghman, Staff writer 8:43 a.m. EST January 8, 2016
Bronze Star

The Pentagon is fundamentally changing the way it recognizes service in a combat zone by tightening the criteria for awarding the Bronze Star and creating a new “C” device that can be pinned to other traditionally noncombat awards.

The changes stem from a two-year internal Pentagon review aimed at modernizing the military medals and awards system; the final report includes 37 recommended changes made public Wednesday.

“Recognizing valor should be the pre-eminent thing that we do in the Department of Defense … and we weren’t doing that,” said one defense official familiar with the review who spoke on condition of anonymity.

MILITARYTIMES

Pentagon may upgrade hundreds of troops to possible Medals of Honor

The Defense Department will create a “C” device to denote an award was earned in a combat setting. It will be the same size and design of the current “V” device denoting valor and may be affixed to noncombat performance awards such as commendation or achievement medals.

Under the new rules, all "V" devices will be recognition for a specific act of valor in a specific situation, while the "C" will denote that other awards were received for high performance over time in a combat environment.

The Pentagon also will create a forcewide definition of “meritorious service in combat,” which will apply to both the “C” device for combat distinction and also affect the criteria for a Bronze Star, which by definition is a combat medal.

“We’re ensuring that the Bronze Star goes out to those who are incurring the risk of combat or actually have a significant risk of hostile action,” the defense official said.

Medal policy on the Bronze Star has been criticized for years as ambiguous. In some cases, the medal is affixed with a “V” for valor and reflects courageous and potentially life-saving acts of bravery under fire. Yet in other cases, it is awarded for “meritorious service” that could be, essentially, a desk job in a deployed setting.

In the 1990s, some service members with peripheral duties related to operations in Kosovo received Bronze Stars without ever leaving the U.S.

The policy change announced this week requires that all future Bronze Stars meet the new and tighter definition of combat. The final wording on the policy has not been finalized, and when it is, its interpretation will remain up to the individual services.

“If people were complaining that Bronze Stars are given out for things that aren’t necessarily worthy of it because they’re not in combat, I think we are addressing that by applying a decision that says the Bronze Star will only be awarded under combat conditions,” the defense official said.

For example, meritorious service in a deployed environment  that might have previously warranted a Bronze Star might instead earn a Meritorious Service Medal if commanders determine that the individual faced few risks of actual combat, an official said.

The standard for combat will be the same for Bronze Stars as well as for the “C” combat distinguishing device, which means there will be no circumstances under which a service member would receive a Bronze Star with a “C.”

Exceptional valor will continue to be recognized by the existing “V” device, the criteria for which also will be clarified under the new policy.

For years, the services have had slightly different definitions for the Bronze Star and the “V” device.

“In the Army, the 'V' meant valor — so the 'V' device was only conferred if a person had done something valorous in combat,” the defense official said. “And the perception when someone looks at that is that the member did something valorous in combat, but that was not always the case for the Department of the Navy.”

In the Navy and Marine Corps, the “V” was defined as a combat distinguishing device, so in addition to being awarded for valorous acts, it also could be conferred for meritorious service considered above and beyond in direct combat, but not necessarily of a "valorous" nature.

The official said that has led to the ambiguity in the Navy-Marine Corps definition of what that “V” stood for.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/pentagon/2016/01/07/medals-overhaul-includes-new-c-device-combat/78405334/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 01:06:20 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Re: Medals policy overhaul includes new 'C' device for combat
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 01:07:42 pm »
Sexist pigs!  Aren't they going to have a LGBTQ medal? :tongue2:  How about a W on all medals women earn to indicate a woman earned it? :tongue2:  I think a PC medal for all who are courageous enough to be totally pc is appropriate. :tongue2:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 01:12:06 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 01:47:40 pm »
How about a W on all medals women earn to indicate a woman earned it? :tongue2:

I know you are joking, but a soldier is a soldier, my friend. Sex only comes into it in the bragging sessions  :tongue2:

Seriously though - I have NEVER understood US medal policy. I've worked with E3's with a bigger board than me!   :tongue2:

Ours is simple:

If you are active duty in a theatre of war for over 30 days (or less if you are invalided out or killed during those 30 days), you are entitled to that theatre medal (Named UN operations also count in this). If you are part of a named operation (example Teliq in Afghanistan), you get a bar on your medal or a rosette on your ribbon. Rosette on your ribbon can also mean "Queens Thanks" - used to be "Mentioned in Dispatches." It's changed to an oak leaf cluster on the actual medal, in that case.
Barracks medals - there are currently 6. General Service medal for duty in less formal operational theatres or undeclared war zones (mine has the Northern Ireland bar and counts as a theatre medal in that case - service in Germany or Gibraltar counts as a barrack medal but takes priority over all other barrack medals); Long Service, Good Conduct; Accumulated Service; and the three Jubilee medals.

That's it, other than the real biggies - nearly all of which you need to die or be crippled for life to be even considered for.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 02:32:11 pm »
That is true. The American services give out an extraordinary amount of medals. In fact, after you have been in for a while you have to pick and choose which ones you are going to wear. Of course, it will be the most important ones.

If you tried to wear them all, along with your pins, they would reach all the way to your belt. It would look like a breast plate of some kind, and comes across as kind of silly. So you pick the top 4 or 5 bars and just wear those. Although some soldiers wear more than that. It just depends.

I have seen officers in full dress uniform with so many medals, pins, braids, and sashes, that they looked like a Christmas tree. And I mean that in the literal sense. If you took everything they were wearing off of them, you could actually decorate a small Christmas tree with it. It can get a little ridiculous.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 03:05:46 pm »
In a way, I like the American system. Getting "at a glance" acknowledgement for specific service or qualifications or wounded in the line of duty is a neat idea as far as morale goes. But it does go overboard somewhat.

I do want to say one thing about Americans in general though, as a side - I doubt there is a population more supportive of their military ANYWHERE on the planet (the Worm's cohorts aside). It's something I actually found slightly frightening, the couple of times I was seconded to or transiting the USA in uniform. Having random people coming up and saying thank you is, to put it mildly, unusual!

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 03:27:17 pm »
Yes. I know exactly what you mean. I've had women come up to me and ask if I knew there son and if he was Ok. I'm sure he is fine is all I could say since I had no idea who they were talking about.

I have had civilians ask me in very specific detail what I had done while in. The basic question was have you killed anyone and how many, but they would never come out and say it that way. I would never answer that question even if they did ask me directly.

But that enthusiastic, 'Thank You for your service', always followed by a handshake was always a little embarrassing for me. I walked in a Veterans Day parade a couple of years ago, and all the people were clapping and cheering. It was a humbling experience.

I served for over 10 years in multiple branches, and worked for several years overseas as a civilian in the government, in support of the war efforts, and still, I never felt that I did anything special. I mean from my point of view, I never felt that I deserved all the adulation. I was just doing my job. It does get to be overwhelming at times. And I have lied in the reverse at times, saying that I was never in, just to avoid all the hubbub and questions and handshakes.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 03:58:42 pm »
Gods, that bloody question! Not everyone, thankfully, but enough ask or imply that it gets as annoying as shit. Had one colleague who was asked it outright by an elderly lady at some mess function. He gave her The Look and said "Not today, Ma'am." She was changing colour so fast she looked like a damned traffic light!  :laugh:

:beer:

Still, yep, it's uncomfortable. Why don't they go down the local sewage works and thank the workers there? Those guys are doing more for their safety and security than my lazy ass ever will!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 04:03:17 pm »
Yes. I know exactly what you mean. I've had women come up to me and ask if I knew there son and if he was Ok. I'm sure he is fine is all I could say since I had no idea who they were talking about.

I have had civilians ask me in very specific detail what I had done while in. The basic question was have you killed anyone and how many, but they would never come out and say it that way. I would never answer that question even if they did ask me directly.

But that enthusiastic, 'Thank You for your service', always followed by a handshake was always a little embarrassing for me. I walked in a Veterans Day parade a couple of years ago, and all the people were clapping and cheering. It was a humbling experience.

I served for over 10 years in multiple branches, and worked for several years overseas as a civilian in the government, in support of the war efforts, and still, I never felt that I did anything special. I mean from my point of view, I never felt that I deserved all the adulation. I was just doing my job. It does get to be overwhelming at times. And I have lied in the reverse at times, saying that I was never in, just to avoid all the hubbub and questions and handshakes.

I have never met a single person who actually earned any combat metal who thought he was anything special.  I'm sure there are some out there but I have yet to meet one.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

rangerrebew

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 08:39:12 pm »
I have never met a single person who actually earned any combat metal who thought he was anything special.  I'm sure there are some out there but I have yet to meet one.

How about that Viet Nam War hero, Lurch Kerry? *hmmmm*

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 08:48:52 pm »
Bigun did say earned ....  :tongue2:

rangerrebew

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 09:06:17 pm »
Bigun did say earned ....  :tongue2:

EC, he is a genuine hero earning 3 purple hearts which he nominated himself for.  He was so tough he only missed about a day and half with those grievous injuries.  In fact, the N Vietnamese put him in their Hall of the Viet Nam Heroes for his courage and bravery yet you suggest he didn't really EARN them? :silly:

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 11:23:55 pm »
In fact, the N Vietnamese put him in their Hall of the Viet Nam Heroes for his courage and bravery
They did do that, but only because he fought so hard against America for the Viet Cong after he finished his tour.

The same way that Barack Obama and Valerie Jarrett are in the Iranian Hall of Heroes.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 11:41:47 pm »
Gods, that bloody question! Not everyone, thankfully, but enough ask or imply that it gets as annoying as shit. Had one colleague who was asked it outright by an elderly lady at some mess function. He gave her The Look and said "Not today, Ma'am." She was changing colour so fast she looked like a damned traffic light!  :laugh:

:beer:

Still, yep, it's uncomfortable. Why don't they go down the local sewage works and thank the workers there? Those guys are doing more for their safety and security than my lazy ass ever will!

Well EC, the military serves the nation and the nation has an obligation to support their sacrifice and it is time that the citizens understand that.
Chances are it is not their kids doing the sacrificing, their kids are probably sitting on their ass in the basement playing video games or chasing skirts on some campus.
I used to carry Grateful American Coins (http://gratefulamericancoin.org/) around with me and anytime I found some active duty folks, I would give them a coin and shake their hand and express my gratitude.
Having gone thru the Vietnam crap it may be awkward, but it is very important, at least to me.