Author Topic: Pelosi: Cruz, McCain births are different matters  (Read 372 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Pelosi: Cruz, McCain births are different matters
« on: January 07, 2016, 06:31:07 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/265081-pelosi-cruz-mccain-births-are-different-matters

By Mike Lillis - 01/07/16 01:20 PM EST

Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) suggested Thursday that, when it comes to questions of U.S. citizenship, not all foreign births are the same.

The House minority leader cited "a distinction" between Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who was born on a U.S. military base in Panama, and Ted Cruz (R-Texas), who was born in Canada to a U.S.- citizen mother.

“I do think there is a distinction between John McCain being born to a family and serving our country in Panama than someone born in another country,” Pelosi told reporters in the Capitol. “But, again, this is a constitutional issue that will either be decided or not.

“My opinion means nothing here.”

The issue of Cruz's citizenship status has become an issue on the presidential trail after Donald Trump, the GOP front-runner, began questioning Cruz's eligibility for the White House.

On Wednesday, Trump said he's pressing the question to eliminate the potential threat to the Republicans' White House chances should Cruz win the GOP nod.

“I’m doing this for the good of Ted,” Trump told CNN.

McCain, who faced some of the same questions when he was the GOP nominee in 2008, is also carving a distinction between his situation and that of Cruz.

“It was a U.S. military base,” McCain said Wednesday on “The Chris Merrill Show,” a local Arizona radio program. “That’s different from being born on foreign soil, so I think there is a question. I am not a Constitutional scholar on that, but I think it’s worth looking into.”

Cruz, for his part, has pushed back hard. He's emphasized that he never had a Canadian passport, dismissing the story as a “non-issue” being drummed up by the media.

“The media, with all due respect, love to engage in silly sideshows. We need to focus on what matters,” he told CNN Wednesday.

“The Constitution and the laws of the United States are straightforward,” he added. “The very first Congress defined the child of a U.S. citizen born abroad as a natural-born citizen.”

Pelosi made clear that she's not really interested in the internal GOP primary debate, characterizing the Cruz controversy as “inside baseball” that's “up to them to decide.”

“I didn't pay any attention to it,” she said. “I'm more concerned about the fact that Republicans in Congress think that trying to stop gun violence in our country is a distraction; that their first legislative act is to defund Planned Parenthood.

“That's really what my focus is, not where Ted Cruz was born."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Pelosi: Cruz, McCain births are different matters
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 06:50:44 pm »
There will be no containment. Cruz cannot act as his own Constitutional scholar or lawyer.

And since center-right political operatives went after Obama so strongly, payback is coming, like it or not.

Politicos plan this stuff, right down to who makes the statement. Pelosi was selected to do this.

A counter move would be for Paul Ryan to publicly state the legal case, but that just gives the controversy more energy.

The way I learned NBC growing up would be: Only a person born to diplomats qualifies for NBC, if born outside the states, approximately McCain's situation.

When George Romney ran, it started a controversy but ended, when he dropped out. He was born in Mexico to citizen parents. An opinion was read into the congressional record that he did NOT qualify.

None of this is settled law, regardless of what people claim. Trump's "help" was politically very "artful." For the record here, I do NOT think most of Trump's speaking is off-the cuff. I think most is planned.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 07:37:13 pm »
How sweet Pelosi not tossing McCain under that bus. Gee true pals they are. ***spit***  As I have said before....this will not go away for Cruz. To many snowflakes listen to this on a daily basis and believe it is true. The establishment must take our Cruz and Trump to have Rubio or Jeb as nominee.  :smokin:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 10:46:17 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/265127-cruz-brings-rubio-into-citizenship-debate

January 07, 2016, 04:59 pm
Cruz fires back on citizenship, says McCain is trying to help Rubio

By Jesse Byrnes

Sen. Ted Cruz (Texas) is firing back at Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) for suggesting there are questions about Cruz's eligibility to run for president.

Cruz brushed off McCain's suggestion that it was "worth looking into" the issue, saying the 2008 GOP nominee is simply trying to help Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) win the Republican nomination.

"I think it is no surprise to anybody that John McCain is going to be supporting Marco Rubio in this election," Cruz told Bloomberg's Mark Halperin on "With All Due Respect."

"It's no surprise at all that he's trying to do what he can to help the candidate that he's favoring who he thinks shares policy positions with him," Cruz added.

McCain, who faced similar eligibility questions during his 2008 bid, argued during a local radio program in Arizona on Wednesday that there is a difference between him and Cruz.

Cruz was born in Canada to an American mother. McCain was born on a U.S. military base in Panama.

"So I think there is a question. I am not a Constitutional scholar on that, but I think it’s worth looking into. I don’t think it’s illegitimate to look into it," McCain said.

Cruz has argued that he is eligible for the presidency and a "natural born citizen" as stipulated by the Constitution after rival Donald Trump questioned his eligibility on Tuesday.

McCain had endorsed Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) for president, but Graham dropped out of the race last month after failing to gain traction in the polls.

Cruz and McCain have clashed frequently in the Senate, with McCain once calling Cruz and Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) "wacko birds."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34