Author Topic: Biden regrets not running for president 'every day'  (Read 941 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Biden regrets not running for president 'every day'
« on: January 07, 2016, 12:15:30 am »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/265011-biden-regrets-not-running-but-calls-it-right-decision

January 06, 2016, 07:01 pm
Biden regrets not running for president 'every day'

By Jordan Fabian

Vice President Biden said Wednesday he regrets not running for president in 2016, but stressed it was ultimately the right call.

“I regret it every day but it was the right decision for my family and for me and I plan on staying deeply involved,” he said in an interview with Hartford, Conn., NBC affiliate WVIT.

It’s one of the first times Biden has publicly conveyed remorse about not jumping into the race to succeed President Obama.

Biden agonized over the decision for months during the late summer and early fall following the death of his son, Beau, from brain cancer.

But after road testing his campaign message and holding dozens of meetings with advisers and family members, he chose not to run, saying it was too late to mount a viable campaign.

In a December interview with Bloomberg, the vice president said it “was the right decision,” saying he was still trying to cope with the death of his son, who passed away at 46 years of age.

“I believed I could win, but that's not enough. I know myself. And I know it takes time,” he said.

Biden has yet to endorse a candidate in the Democratic presidential primary, which pits former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton against Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders (I) and former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley (D).

The vice president said the tenor of the debate on the Democratic side has been much more civil than the Republican primary fight.

“On the Democratic side it’s what I expected, there is real robust debate between Hillary and Bernie as there would have been if I had gotten in the race,” Biden said. “There have been no personal attacks … of any consequence. It’s not a bunch of serendipity out there.”

Biden didn’t indicate he was close to backing a candidate. “We’ve got two good candidates,” he said, apparently omitting O’Malley.

The vice president did a round of local TV interviews to plug Obama’s executive actions on gun control. The Connecticut station is in the same market as Sandy Hook Elementary School, the site of a 2012 mass shooting that claimed the lives of 20 children and six adults.

Biden, who lost his one-year-old daughter and first wife in a 1972 car crash, said he can empathize with the victims’ families.

"It's something that haunts you," the vice president said about the shooting. "It's the idea of those beautiful little babies in those classrooms — like dolls, discarded. If you focus on it, it’s hard not to be moved by it. It seems like yesterday."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Biden regrets not running for president 'every day'
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 12:40:10 am »
It's not too late, get in the race, Joe!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 12:43:47 am »
I would love to see Uncle Joe jump in; nothing would infuriate Hillary more.   :silly:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 12:49:45 am »
Go Joe Go!
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 12:54:39 am »
I would love to see Uncle Joe jump in; nothing would infuriate Hillary more.   :silly:

Agree.   :laugh:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 02:00:13 am »
So, he regrets it, but at the same time says it was the right call (in other words, ultimately he doesn't regret it, because regret inherently means you made a mistake).

What a politician!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 08:59:25 am »
So, he regrets it, but at the same time says it was the right call (in other words, ultimately he doesn't regret it, because regret inherently means you made a mistake).

What a politician!

No, my friend. It is perfectly possible to regret deeply doing the right thing.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 01:43:45 pm »
With current speculation about Hillary's health, two months till an indictment supposedly looming over her head, Schultz facing having to step down over Clinton's contributions, etc., perhaps Uncle Joe will seize the opportunity.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 02:26:59 pm »
With current speculation about Hillary's health, two months till an indictment supposedly looming over her head, Schultz facing having to step down over Clinton's contributions, etc., perhaps Uncle Joe will seize the opportunity.
Of course, there should be the same concerns about Joe's brain health, given his history.  (What was it, aneurysms?)
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline flowers

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 04:39:42 pm »
Hmmpt. since this bunch does nothing that isn't for political gain........why this?