Author Topic: Coulter: Cruz is not a natural born citizen  (Read 28756 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: McCain questions Cruz’s eligibility for president
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2016, 04:04:43 pm »
It sure seems like a legitimate question, after the hassle raised with Obama.

The question itself is legitimate.

The matter of who raised the question - the reporter or McCain - is also of interest, especially when the headline, which is the only thing most people read and remember, implies the exact opposite of what actually happened.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2016, 04:07:28 pm »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/01/07/john-mccains-cold-blooded-revenge-on-ted-cruz/

John McCain’s cold-blooded revenge on Ted Cruz
By Chris Cillizza January 7 at 9:07 AM

A great man once said: The arc of the moral universe is long, and it bends toward revenge.

John McCain proved the power of revenge on Wednesday night when asked about his longtime nemesis Ted Cruz's eligibility to be president, despite being born in Canada.

“I don’t know the answer to that,” McCain said on the "Chris Merrill Show" on Wednesday. “I know it came up in my race because I was born in Panama, but I was born in the Canal Zone, which is a territory. Barry Goldwater was born in Arizona when it was a territory when he ran in 1964."

Boom goes the dynamite.

It's no secret that Cruz is hated by McCain and lots and lots of the Washington establishment. McCain famously/infamously called Cruz (and a few other tea party types) "wacko birds" — he later apologized — and has repeatedly clashed with the Texas senator over what he believes to be the latter's tendency to grandstand. (McCain detractors will roll their eyes at the idea of him being apoplectic over other people grandstanding.)

What has been less clear is how the GOP establishment's white-hot hatred for Cruz could manifest itself in the Republican presidential primary. This is how.

By McCain giving a "you know, that's a good question" response to the question of whether Cruz is eligible to be president, he keeps the story — not a good one for the Texas senator — very much alive.

Now, the media narrative becomes that it's not just Donald Trump saying things because (a) he's Donald Trump and (b) it's in Trump's political interest to attack Cruz since he trails him in Iowa. It's the 2008 Republican presidential nominee who, oh by the way, went through a very real back and forth over his own eligibility to run back then.

McCain shivving Cruz won't drastically damage the Texas senator's strength in the race. For some, it will affirm that Cruz is the anti-establishment force they love. But, McCain's comment shows how the establishment can influence the race — by using the platform senators (and others) have to kill or boost stories.

Expect more of this. And the establishment will relish every minute of it.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Longiron

Re: Coulter: Cruz is not a natural born citizen
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2016, 04:07:41 pm »
???? Not following you on this one at all.  I see this as Trump knowing that Cruz is on his coattails in both Iowa and New Hampshire and needing to attack him for something.  And I should be thankful for Trump for what now?
The FUN starts when you have DONARS. :poohappen:

http://conservativeread.com/cruz-donors-accused-of-money-laundering-helping-tax-cheats-pro-amnesty-revisionist-history/

Offline flowers

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2016, 04:51:49 pm »
Because that train has long since left the station! 

Obama's alleged father was a British subject at the time of Obama's birth and thus Obama cannot possibly be a "Natural Born Citizen of the United States" regardless of his place of birth!  Wouldn't matter if he had been born in Washington DC!
Where was his mom born? Obamas. If in USA isn't that the same thing as Cruz? Just curious.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2016, 04:54:37 pm »
Where was his mom born? Obamas. If in USA isn't that the same thing as Cruz? Just curious.
Obama's mother was born in the USA, but the issue (if, indeed, it is an issue) was her age at the time of The Won's birth. I don't know whether that comes up in the Cruz case.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline flowers

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2016, 05:00:07 pm »
Yes.  But my point is what if he had not been born in Hawaii?  That scenario lines up precisely to the Cruz situation.
I asked Bigun I ask you too. where was obamas mom born? If in USA then it is the same as Cruz.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2016, 05:00:57 pm »
Point well made.  :beer:  The rumor that there is the possibility that Trump is merely a siphon for the DEMS is becoming more of a reality. We shall soon see.  Trump has undoubtedly spent much more time attacking his opponents than Hillary or Bernie.

Just heard Trump say that Cruz stole his idea about building a wall.... that no one had ever suggested it before HE brought it up.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but the guy is nuts!  He really thinks HE came up with the idea of building a wall on the Mexican border.

Scary........
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2016, 05:03:43 pm »
The FUN starts when you have DONARS. :poohappen:

http://conservativeread.com/cruz-donors-accused-of-money-laundering-helping-tax-cheats-pro-amnesty-revisionist-history/

Lol. You may want to read that one again. The charge is because the donations came through Credit Suisse bank, one of the largest in the world. That's like saying a candidate helps tax cheats because he got donations through Chase bank and a tax cheat once used Chase. That article's is by 'Coach' Collins who has the Coach is Right blog which is way out there in nutter freeper territory. 

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2016, 05:03:52 pm »
The question itself is legitimate.

The matter of who raised the question - the reporter or McCain - is also of interest, especially when the headline, which is the only thing most people read and remember, implies the exact opposite of what actually happened.

It seems to be the media's MO anymore.  When a headline says Trump keeps pushing on Cruz's eligibility - when you read the article, you will find that Trump is answering a question posed by the reporter.  He isn't constantly bringing it up - the media is.  People that comment on articles without reading them - only going by the headline - aren't commenting on reality.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2016, 05:06:48 pm »
My understanding is that the law at the time of Obama's hatching, er, birth, the citizen-parent in that scenario (born outside of the US) had to be of legal age, then 21, to impart her US citizenship on the baby. Hussein's mother reportedly was 18.

My memory may be faulty on that point - like Hillary, I once suffered a concussion.  :laugh:
I ask all now.....What was obamas mom scenerio about his birth? I could do the bing, yet I ask you all.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2016, 05:07:52 pm »
Obama and the state of Hawaii claim he was born in Hawaii.

I don't care if he was born on the White house lawn his father was a British subject at the time of his birth and thus Obama cannot possibly be a "Natural Born citizen of the United States"
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2016, 05:09:33 pm »
I asked Bigun I ask you too. where was obamas mom born? If in USA then it is the same as Cruz.

It doesn't matter as his alleged father was a British subject at the time of his birth!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2016, 05:10:17 pm »
I don't care if he was born on the White house lawn his father was a British subject at the time of his birth and thus Obama cannot possibly be a "Natural Born citizen of the United States"
How about if he was born in Alberta province, Canada and his father is a Cuban subject at the time of his birth?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2016, 05:13:25 pm »
How about if he was born in Alberta province, Canada and his father is a Cuban subject at the time of his birth?

You already know my answer to that but, as I said earlier, the train has long ago left the station!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2016, 05:13:31 pm »
The media creates these circuses to fill the daily news cycle.  What is happening here is exactly what the media wanted to happen - create a little wave that will carry a story a few days.  All they have to do is get someone prominent to answer a question and they have their headline - they know a public, political figure will give a non-committal answer to a question they have no information whatsoever on, something they've never thought about before.  The non-committal answer is then used as support for asking the question in the first place.  It is all reporter-driven B.S.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2016, 05:14:26 pm »

It depends on what the law was when Obama and Cruz were born.  I don't know about Cruz, but Obama's mother wasn't old enough to confer her citizenship at the time because she was only 19, and you had to be 21 at that time to do that.  I have no idea where the law is now on that and what the law was when Cruz was born.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2016, 05:14:57 pm »
Lol. You may want to read that one again. The charge is because the donations came through (sic)Credit Suisse bank, one of the largest in the world. That's like saying a candidate helps tax cheats because he got donations through Chase bank and a tax cheat once used Chase. That article's is by 'Coach' Collins who has the Coach is Right blog which is way out there in nutter freeper territory.

You may want to read it again yourself.

Credit Suisse Group gave Cruz $33,442.

You can find the $33K from Credit Suisse Group listed here: https://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/contrib.php?cid=N00033085&cycle=2014

This table lists the top donors to this candidate in 2011-2014. The organizations themselves did not donate, rather the money came from the organizations' PACs, their individual members or employees or owners, and those individuals' immediate families. Organization totals include subsidiaries and affiliates.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2016, 05:17:09 pm »
All of the debate in this thread is exactly why we need an official ruling on precisely what "natural born citizen" means.
Everyone has a different view.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2016, 05:19:53 pm »
Ann Coulter has to be very happy.  She can vomit mentally on Twitter and get days and days of coverage and spin-off stories.  Better yet, get Trump and McCain to answer a question out of the blue and it becomes a firestorm!  How to create a buzz 101.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2016, 05:22:50 pm »
It depends on what the law was when Obama and Cruz were born.  I don't know about Cruz, but Obama's mother wasn't old enough to confer her citizenship at the time because she was only 19, and you had to be 21 at that time to do that.  I have no idea where the law is now on that and what the law was when Cruz was born.

I think we are getting a little confused here so I'm going to clear it up a little if I may.

There is no question about whether or not Ted Cruz is a Citizen of the United States.  The question is whether or not he is a 'Natural born Citizen" of the United States.

In the case of Obama there is REAL question as to whether or not Obama is even a citizen much less a "Natural born" citizen.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2016, 05:23:35 pm »
All of the debate in this thread is exactly why we need an official ruling on precisely what "natural born citizen" means.
Everyone has a different view.

I think this is what Trump is getting at here with Cruz.  Cruz needs to clear this issue up as much as possible right now, before it becomes a distracting issue for Cruz.  You know the left is just sitting on this until they can use it to their advantage.  I don't know what Cruz can do, I'm sure he knows he is OK - but it needs to be confirmed somehow that he is eligible to run for president before the issue becomes the screaming 24/7 headlines that the left will make it be once Cruz wins in Iowa or wherever. 

In that way, Trump is not hurting Cruz - he knows this is coming - it's something that needs to be cleared up now.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2016, 05:28:04 pm »
You already know my answer to that but, as I said earlier, the train has long ago left the station!

Yes, you and I agree (but with differing analogies, "that ship has sailed" and "the train has long ago left the station!").

But for the record, to me, the question comes down to birthright citizenship (i.e., by virtue of the Constitution itself, without any aid of legislation) versus citizenship by statute. 

I think that most people agree that "natural born citizenship" (regardless of which historical construct on which it is based) has always been viewed as that which is conferred by birthright.  Citizenship via statute (no matter which statute ones wishes to lean upon) is a horse of a different color!

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2016, 05:29:06 pm »
I think we are getting a little confused here so I'm going to clear it up a little if I may.

There is no question about whether or not Ted Cruz is a Citizen of the United States.  The question is whether or not he is a 'Natural born Citizen" of the United States.

In the case of Obama there is REAL question as to whether or not Obama is even a citizen much less a "Natural born" citizen.

Precisely!   :patriot:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2016, 05:32:19 pm »
Where does it say anything, about mother's age in our Constitution?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline flowers

« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2016, 05:34:00 pm »
Thank you for info. I have said this from the get-go. This will haunt Cruz. The left will never let it go.