Author Topic: Coulter: Cruz is not a natural born citizen  (Read 28796 times)

Offline flowers

Coulter: Cruz is not a natural born citizen
« on: January 06, 2016, 06:05:03 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/264930-coulter-cruz-is-not-a-natural-born-citizen

Conservative commentator Ann Coulter, who has been boosting Donald Trump for president, took to Twitter on Wednesday to declare that Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) is not a natural born citizen.

Same lawyers who said anchor babies are in the Constitution now tell us being born outside U.S to 1 American parent = natural born citizen.
    — Ann Coulter (@AnnCoulter) January 6, 2016

NYT: Cruz was born outside the U.S. to 1 American parent: "Under the Constitution this makes him a 'natural born citizen.'” Absolutely false
    — Ann Coulter (@AnnCoulter) January 6, 2016

Coulter joins Trump in questioning whether Cruz can legally be president.

“Republicans are going to have to ask themselves the question: ‘Do we want a candidate who could be tied up in court for two years?’ That’d be a big problem,” Trump told The Washington Post on Tuesday.

The U.S. Constitution states that to be eligible for the White House, one must be a “natural born citizen.” That’s generally interpreted as including those born to U.S. citizens, even if their birth took place on foreign soil.

Cruz was born in Canada to an American mother and Cuban father. For years he held duel U.S.-Canada citizenships. The Texas Republican renounced his Canadian citizenship after he became a U.S. senator.

Cruz has laughed off the suggestion he’s not eligible for the White House, taking to Twitter on Tuesday to post a link from the television show “Happy Days” that shows Fonzie jumping a shark.

I have read some of her books. Sad to see she has been on the dark's side team all along.

Offline aligncare

Re: Coulter: Cruz is not a natural born citizen
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 06:14:57 pm »

The problem is Coulter may be right.

I'm just not smart enough to know if she is or isn't.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 06:56:42 pm »
Cruz: Coulter is not a natural born blonde.  :whistle:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 06:57:35 pm »
Haven't we already fallen off this bridge?
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 06:58:19 pm »

Looking a little further into this, it appears that the anti Cruz people are hanging their hat on the fact that only one parent, Cruz's mom, held dual Canadian and U.S. citizenship when Ted Cruz was born. Cruz's dad had only a U.S. green card, which has some stipulations for it to remain valid, when he applied for Canadian citizenship.

The other historical examples, George Romney and John McCain, had two American citizen parents at the time of their birth. Some folks are saying that's the difference here.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 07:01:19 pm »
Haven't we already fallen off this bridge?

I'm afraid so! 

Ted Cruz is much more a citizen than Obama is!  That's for sure!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 07:22:49 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/264930-coulter-cruz-is-not-a-natural-born-citizen

I have read some of her books. Sad to see she has been on the dark's side team all along.

The only people on Coulter's "team" are her publicists and financial advisers.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 07:37:50 pm »
Coulter and Trump........... quite a team.

Go CRUZ! 

(Who, incidentally, had the Constitution memorized at age 13, and with whom neither Coulter nor Trump should ever argue).
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 07:42:57 pm »

Go CRUZ! 

(Who, incidentally, had the Constitution memorized at age 13, and with whom neither Coulter nor Trump should ever argue).

Ann seems to have changed her tune.  She must have another book coming out that requires her to attract attention.

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/302130365487804417?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Ann Coulter ✔ @AnnCoulter
TED CRUZ CAN RUN FOR PRESIDENT!  I worried on @seanhannity @ his Calgary birth, But his mother was a US citizen, so he was born a citizen.
1:01 PM - 14 Feb 2013
  86 86 Retweets   34 34 likes

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 07:46:32 pm »

Go CRUZ! 

Exactly.   :beer:   :patriot:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 08:29:36 pm »
Ben Shapiro at Daily Wire:
Yes, Ted Cruz Is Eligible For The Presidency
Ben Shapiro
January 6, 2016

Years ago, Donald Trump forced Barack Obama to produce his birth certificate by elevating questions of his birthplace to front-page news. Now he’s turned his guns on leading challenger Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX), suggesting that his birth in Canada makes him ineligible for the presidency. In an interview, Trump said that Cruz’s birth was a “very precarious” problem: “Republicans are going to have to ask themselves the question: ‘Do we want a candidate who could be tied up in court for two years?’ That’d be a big problem.”   ...

This is clearly a desperate play by Trump to rip back support from Cruz. Back in September, when Cruz was but a glimmer in Trump’s polling data, Trump dismissed birther questions on ABC News: “I hear it was checked out by every attorney and every which way and I understand Ted is in fine shape.” That was months after declaring Cruz’s birthplace “a stumbling block.”

So Trump flip-flops on this issue, too.

But for those wondering, he’s likely wrong on the legal side.

Here are the facts.

The provision of the Constitution in question is Article II, Section 1, Clause 5:      No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

Cruz’s mother was born in Delaware, his father in Cuba. Cruz was born in 1970 in Calgary, Canada.

So, what does it mean to be a “natural born citizen”?

The goal of the “natural born citizen” clause was to prevent “all chances for ambitious foreigners, who might otherwise be intriguing for the office,” according to Justice Story. So, what did the clause mean practically?

Under British law preceding American law, “natural born” meant both jus soli and jus sanguinis. Jus soli means that you are a citizen if born within the territory of the country. Jus sanguinis means that you are a citizen if one of your parents is a citizen. In its 1790 naturalization statute, the United States re-enshrined this principle, stating, “the children of citizens of the United States, that may be born beyond the sea, or out of the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural born citizens.” But whether the Constitution embraces the same language remains a semi-open question upon which the Supreme Court has not openly ruled.

The only way Cruz’s eligibility would arise is if Trump actually sued to keep Cruz off the ballot, or if a state did so. Neither seems likely. ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 08:56:56 pm »

Why do I suddenly find myself humming "South of the Border"....?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 09:33:51 pm »
Pretty much every expert agrees it should be based to the origin intent when written, that is born a citizen versus naturalized. Bloggers and those with political motives keep adding requirements to that but the original intent was simple and clear.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 09:34:57 pm »

I wonder about other things she (sic) was naturally born as.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 09:44:34 pm »
I wonder about other things she (sic) was naturally born as.

Breath easy, my friend. She is DEFINITELY a naturally born vindictive shrew.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Longiron

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 10:07:08 pm »
The CRUZ supporters should be THANKING Trump for saying what he did and not doing the Hater thing and trash him.  THINK ABOUT IT! In a couple of weeks if not sooner the CRUVE ball will break and TRUMP has hit it out of the Park, AGAIN.  Now the new headlines are OBAMA and TRUMP going after CRUZ. Does anyone still think Barry wants Hillary as the next POTUS and the CLINTIONS back in control of the RINOGOPe and DEM parties? CRUZ supporters, do not expect any help from the RINOGOPe on this? They are delighted at this and giving each other high fives. The "Party of Stupid" has no reason as to why TRUMP come out with this statement.   :patriot:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 10:12:57 pm by Longiron »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 10:23:38 pm »
Yes, Ted Cruz Is Eligible For The Presidency
AP Photo/John Locher [AP Photo/John Locher]
By:
Ben Shapiro
January 6, 2016
24 Comments

Years ago, Donald Trump forced Barack Obama to produce his birth certificate by elevating questions of his birthplace to front-page news. Now he’s turned his guns on leading challenger Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX), suggesting that his birth in Canada makes him ineligible for the presidency. In an interview, Trump said that Cruz’s birth was a “very precarious” problem: “Republicans are going to have to ask themselves the question: ‘Do we want a candidate who could be tied up in court for two years?’ That’d be a big problem.”

Trump supporter Ann Coulter agrees:

This is clearly a desperate play by Trump to rip back support from Cruz. Back in September, when Cruz was but a glimmer in Trump’s polling data, Trump dismissed birther questions on ABC News: “I hear it was checked out by every attorney and every which way and I understand Ted is in fine shape.” That was months after declaring Cruz’s birthplace “a stumbling block.”

So Trump flip-flops on this issue, too....

http://www.dailywire.com/news/2392/yes-ted-cruz-eligible-presidency-ben-shapiro

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 10:52:10 pm »
Ann seems to have changed her tune.  She must have another book coming out that requires her to attract attention.

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/302130365487804417?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Ann Coulter ✔ @AnnCoulter
TED CRUZ CAN RUN FOR PRESIDENT!  I worried on @seanhannity @ his Calgary birth, But his mother was a US citizen, so he was born a citizen.
1:01 PM - 14 Feb 2013
  86 86 Retweets   34 34 likes

Ann always blows a lot of hot air when she's got a book coming out.

She craves attention, poor soul...........   **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 11:47:09 pm »
The CRUZ supporters should be THANKING Trump for saying what he did and not doing the Hater thing and trash him.  THINK ABOUT IT! In a couple of weeks if not sooner the CRUVE ball will break and TRUMP has hit it out of the Park, AGAIN.  Now the new headlines are OBAMA and TRUMP going after CRUZ. Does anyone still think Barry wants Hillary as the next POTUS and the CLINTIONS back in control of the RINOGOPe and DEM parties? CRUZ supporters, do not expect any help from the RINOGOPe on this? They are delighted at this and giving each other high fives. The "Party of Stupid" has no reason as to why TRUMP come out with this statement.   :patriot:

???? Not following you on this one at all.  I see this as Trump knowing that Cruz is on his coattails in both Iowa and New Hampshire and needing to attack him for something.  And I should be thankful for Trump for what now?

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 12:53:09 am »
The problem is Coulter may be right.

I'm just not smart enough to know if she is or isn't. 

Cruz needs to clear this up--without being clever or defensive. And he can't let talking heads or the Internet debate this endlessly.

If he wants this behind him, Cruz needs a legal judgment on his specific set of circumstances.   

Offline libertybele

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 01:04:19 am »
Cruz needs to clear this up--without being clever or defensive. And he can't let talking heads or the Internet debate this endlessly.

If he wants this behind him, Cruz needs a legal judgment on his specific set of circumstances.

He has responded.  I have seen him questioned on the local nightly news.  All Trump wants to do is slow him down, cast the only shadow he can possibly cast on Cruz and take away time and money better spent elsewhere than dealing with this crap. Further, Trump went after Hussein on this and got nowhere.

Ted Cruz: The law is clear that I’m a natural-born citizen

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/01/06/ted-cruz-the-law-is-clear-that-im-a-natural-born-citizen/

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 01:10:05 am »
Ted Cruz: The law is clear that I’m a natural-born citizen 

If the law was truly clear, there would not be a question or a debate.  A written legal opinion from the Judiciary explaining and supporting that someone born on foreign soil, to a foreign father and a mother with foreign citizenship at the time of his birth is, indeed, a natural born citizen eligible for the Presidency of the United States.

Easy peazy.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:10:36 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 01:11:59 am »

Yes.   A REAL, open legal judgement because you know the liberals are going to beat him up with it.
May be why Trump brought it up.... get on top of it now.

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2016, 01:14:38 am »
Yes.   A REAL, open legal judgement because you know the liberals are going to beat him up with it.
May be why Trump brought it up.... get on top of it now.

Trump has said he "doing Cruz a favor".  I think he's right. 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2016, 01:46:13 am »
Fishrrman's credo:
Reality is what it is. It is not what we believe it to be.

I like Ted Cruz.

But Ann Coulter may be right about this.
Or she may be wrong.

The "reality" is that unless and until there is a definitive ruling from the United States Supreme Court that clarifies and defines (at least from The Court) the definition of "natural born citizen" insofar as the Constitution is concerned, this term remains open to argument and interpretation.

I realize I'm going against the grain in this forum, but I'm on Coulter's side.
I do not believe anyone (and this includes YOU) should be considered a "natural born citizen" unless he/she is born on United States soil with both parents being citizens.
I can safely say that I do meet that qualification.

I believe that was the intent of the Founders, and it's why they went so far as to create the linguistic phrase of "natural born citizen" vis-a-vis any other "citizen".

But again, this is something that's open to interpretation and is going to remain unresolved until the Supreme Court issues a ruling to settle it.

I've said this before, and I'm going to repeat it, and mark my words:
If Cruz becomes the nominee, expect relentless and screaming attacks on him from the left regarding this issue.
And as someone mentioned above, expect a fight to prevent him from taking the oath of office if he wins.

Just sayin' ...