Author Topic: Chaffetz to endorse Rubio  (Read 3717 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Chaffetz to endorse Rubio
« on: January 06, 2016, 03:32:10 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/264902-chaffetz-to-endorse-rubio

January 06, 2016, 09:38 am
Chaffetz to endorse Rubio

By Ben Kamisar

House Oversight Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz will endorse Marco Rubio for president.

"Marco Rubio is a conservative leader who understands the challenges facing American families in the 21st century," Chaffetz (R-Utah) said in a statement.
"I'm looking forward to hitting the campaign trail with Marco to talk about the future of our country and the importance of electing a next-generation conservative in 2016."

Politico first reported the impending endorsement.

Chaffetz will hit the trail with Rubio on Friday as he holds a town hall event in Manchester, N.H. Rubio sits in second in the state, far behind Donald Trump and slightly ahead of fellow Sen. Ted Cruz (Texas), according to the RealClearPolitics average of recent polling.

The Utah lawmaker, who is Mormon, could also serve as an important ambassador to the Mormon community in Nevada, another early nominating state.

Chaffetz is just the latest well-known Republican lawmaker to back Rubio.

Last week, House Benghazi Committee Chairman Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) campaigned with Rubio, who on Wednesday was joined in New Hampshire by former Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.).
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: Chaffetz to endorse Rubio
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 03:39:01 pm »
The Utah lawmaker, who is Mormon, could also serve as an important ambassador to the Mormon community in Nevada, another early nominating state.
Harry Reid also is Mormon, so I'm not sure this means much for Rubio.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 04:45:20 pm »
Interesting...Chffetz has some "DEM" ties ... not surprising that he would endorse Rubio.  Chaffetz in college was a DEM and his half-brother is John Dukakis (Michael Dukakis). Chaffetz turned GOP after meeting Reagan and won a four-way race to become the chairman of the House Oversight & Government Reform Committee. Chaffetz has reportedly built a strong relationship with his Democratic counterpart on the committee, Ranking Member Elijah Cummings.

He also was was a candidate to replace Boehner.  Chaffetz has also been criticized for politicizing the Benghazi incident, acknowledging in an interview with CNN anchor Soledad O'Brien that he had "voted to cut the funding for embassy security" and that House Republicans had consciously voted to reduce the funds allocated to the State Department for embassy security since winning the majority in 2010. "Absolutely," he said. "Look, we have to make priorities and choices in this country."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Chaffetz
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 04:46:58 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 04:53:45 pm »
Rubio has to continue to show that he is the leader our country needs on his own using his positive and articulate fashion of laying out his vision (sorry, you all know I like Rubio).
What this endorsement does do is lend another conservative vote of confidence in Rubio and I do believe it will also help with some of the Mormon population in Nevada, albeit on a small scale. I have always believed endorsements help to a small degree but are not the major factor in the voting booth.

This endorsement sure doesn't hurt and I am glad he got it. Chaffetz is high profile name for many conservatives although certainly not all. :beer:

I love you cuky. Just a gentle reminder. Never apologize for your belief.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 04:57:06 pm »
I love you cuky. Just a gentle reminder. Never apologize for your belief.

:beer: Exactly, you are entitled to your beliefs and no need to apologize.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 05:11:45 pm »

Mormons are among the most reliable Republican voters, period. They do NOT consider the likes of Reid to be somebody to follow.

Rubio was involved with Mormonism when young. Chaffetz effectively reminds Mormon voters in Utah, Arizona, Nevada, Wyoming etc. about that.

Overall it is a positive for Rubio.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 05:28:54 pm »

An aside: one thing I've learned living in Vegas is that Mormon political class is surprisingly left-leaning...almost shockingly so.  (This is not relative to Chaffetz or his endorsement here in any way).
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 05:55:27 pm »
I don't know about in Vegas, but in Utah 90% of Mormons voted for Romney:

2. Today, Mormons are the most Republican of any faith

Forget evangelicals — when it comes to religion & politics, no religious group is more solidly Republican than Mormons.

In 1960s, only about a third of Mormons identified themselves as Republican. Recent polls have the percentage around sixty percent. A 2014 survey by Pew has the figure at 70 percent. And many of those who don’t see themselves as being Republican still vote for the GOP on Election Day. For example, in recent elections Mormons in Utah have voted Republican 30 points higher than the national average. In 2012, nearly 90 percent of Mormon voters in Utah voted for Mitt Romney.

- See more at: http://tobingrant.religionnews.com/2015/04/27/five-things-know-mormon-politics/#sthash.PwnlHJrE.dpuf

The Mormon political class - those well connected in politics - is very small.  I suspect that upwards of 80% in Vegas (which has one of the largest Mormon communities in the nation) also vote Republican.  It is the well-connected Mormons that I speak of...those involved in politics and not necessarily those elected to positions.  The kind who wield influence as staff or from the private world with money.  Reid is NOT an anomaly as a leftist politico Mormon - there are a surprising number of them.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 05:56:02 pm by Scottftlc »
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 06:32:06 pm »
Apparently the memo has gone out within the GOPe to abandon Jeb Bush.  He is really thevonly one harmed by these high profile endorsements.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 07:49:52 pm »
Apparently the memo has gone out within the GOPe to abandon Jeb Bush.  He is really thevonly one harmed by these high profile endorsements.

Hey Mass.  Hope all is well this New Year.

Do you consider Jason Chaffetz and Trey Gowdy to be GOPe?   Both have endorsed Rubio.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:51:00 pm by ArneFufkin »

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 08:21:14 pm »
Hey Mass.  Hope all is well this New Year.

Do you consider Jason Chaffetz and Trey Gowdy to be GOPe?   Both have endorsed Rubio.

Right back to you.  It has been a while.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 08:34:53 pm »
I don't know about in Vegas, but in Utah 90% of Mormons voted for Romney:

2. Today, Mormons are the most Republican of any faith

Forget evangelicals — when it comes to religion & politics, no religious group is more solidly Republican than Mormons.
I always thought so, but can't quite figure out why Salt Lake City keeps getting such lefty mayors. All Democrats since 1976.   :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 09:05:13 pm »
I always thought so, but can't quite figure out why Salt Lake City keeps getting such lefty mayors. All Democrats since 1976.   :shrug:
Because SLC is the LEAST Mormon area in the state.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 09:31:39 pm »
Another crony capitalist "Conservative" comes out of the woodwork for Rubio. 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 12:58:24 am »
I don't know about in Vegas, but in Utah 90% of Mormons voted for Romney:-

So where is the gain  for Rubio?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 01:13:18 am »
Personally, I am hoping it will help Rubio win more delegates with the primary caucuses March 22 in Utah and sooner Feb 23 in Nevada. I am sure that Rubio is thinking the same.

Long shot.  But, good luck!   :beer:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 01:28:28 am »

Trump (34%) is leading Rubio (17%) in Florida. Put another way, the senator from Florida (4-years into his first term) is losing to a businessman from New York City by 17 points.

That's all I need to know about Rubio's chances for taking the nomination.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/fl/florida_republican_presidential_primary-3555.html

Offline aligncare

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 02:15:15 am »
I have felt the very same about previous candidates I have backed like Rudy Giuliani and look where he ended up.  8888crybaby  He was a strong front runner. Then I have also backed the likes of
Gingrich.  :chairbang: Shoot, I even remember going to a Pat Robinson rally  :shrug: (although that was short lived).  What does this all say?  Front runners at this time are no guaranteed winners and I have a very poor record of picking winners. :pondering:

We will all find out soon where the chips will fall.  Then we can unite together. :beer:

No matter what we personally feel towards a candidate, looking at the numbers is always instructive and bracing.

Politics can burst anyone's bubble. I've been let down by candidates so many times I can't count'em all.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 03:41:11 am »
Trump (34%) is leading Rubio (17%) in Florida. Put another way, the senator from Florida (4-years into his first term) is losing to a businessman from New York City by 17 points.

That's all I need to know about Rubio's chances for taking the nomination.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/fl/florida_republican_presidential_primary-3555.html

The way I see it, If Rubio doesn't take his home state of Florida he's done.  Trump has a huge lead over him right now and if Bush doesn't drop out before him; he will take some votes away from Rubio as well, giving Trump Florida.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 06:15:00 am »
Seriously, Aligncare I really don't see the GOP nominating Trump and I think he will fade as the GOP gather behind someone else whether it is Cruz or Rubio. But, his staying power to this point I would not have believed possible either. So, maybe I don't know jack sh@t.
Whether you know jack or not, you're one of the most polite and grounded posters I've seen on this board, and it is delightful to read your unassuming and logical posts.