Author Topic: What Working At McDonald's Taught Me About Privilege  (Read 858 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
What Working At McDonald's Taught Me About Privilege
« on: January 05, 2016, 08:46:31 pm »
This deserves to be read in it's entirety. Don't worry. It's only six paragraphs long.

Olivia Legaspi
The Odyssey
December 28, 2015

During Customs week, in PAF sessions, and in everyday discourse here at Haverford, we are taught to ask for help when we feel we need it, speak up when we feel uncomfortable, and prioritize our own well being over most other things. At McDonald's, acting in this way could have cost me my job, a job I needed to afford college...

I'm grateful to have worked at McDonald's: It taught me how better to handle my anxiety and how to put myself last in the name of efficiency and a common goal. McDonald's strengthened my character, my work ethic, and expanded my capacity for resilience, valuable lessons which could not be learned in the "safe spaces" of Haverford's campus. We must remember that putting oneself first is the essence of privilege, and that, in order to grow, we must leave this selfish mindset behind.
Full article

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: What Working At McDonald's Taught Me About Privilege
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 03:45:48 am »
Seconded - it is a wonderful read.

And I'm with one of the commenters - "Sometimes when I think there is no hope, young folks like you come along and I know it will be all right."
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink