Author Topic: Obama to hold public meeting on gun control  (Read 852 times)

rangerrebew

Obama to hold public meeting on gun control
« on: January 03, 2016, 08:30:33 pm »
Obama to hold public meeting on gun control
By AFP     4 hours ago in World

President Barack Obama will take part Thursday in a town hall-style meeting to discuss new efforts to stem what he has called an epidemic of gun violence across America.

Obama, who recently singled out gun violence as one of the most urgent pieces of "unfinished business" facing him, will take questions from the audience during the event, to be aired on CNN at 8 p.m. (2300 GMT).

The program is to be held at George Mason University in Fairfax, in northern Virginia.

The president has frequently expressed frustration at Congress's failure to pass tougher gun-control measures, even after some of the worst mass shootings in the nation's history.

Beginning his final year in office, he is set to meet Monday with Attorney General Loretta Lynch to discuss possible new actions he can take.

According to CNN and The New York Times, Obama is expected to announce executive action to expand background checks on gun sales before his State of the Union address on January 12.

Guns claim more than 30,000 lives in America each year, over half of them suicides.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/world/obama-to-hold-public-meeting-on-gun-control/article/453778#ixzz3wDPZ8fmv

rangerrebew

Re: Obama to hold public meeting on gun control
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 08:32:13 pm »
I'm sure an honest person like Obama  :3: is above doing something snarkey like loading the whole crowd with gun hating, left wing activists. :peeonobama:

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 08:53:20 pm »
Guns claim more than 30,000 lives in America each year, over half of them suicides.

Does anyone research stuff anymore or do they just make this stuff up?

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8

Weapons 2007   2008 2009 2010 2011
Total 14,916   14,224   13,752   
Total firearms: 10,129   
9,528 9,199 8,874 8,583
Handguns 7,398 6,800 6,501 6,115 6,220
Rifles 453 380 351 367 323
Shotguns 457 442 423 366 356
Other guns 116 81 96 93 97
Firearms, type not stated 1,705 1,825 1,828 1,933 1,587

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 09:02:24 pm »
Does anyone research stuff anymore or do they just make this stuff up?

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8

If 20008-2111 are added together, the 30,000 is a realistic figure. :whistle:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 09:24:08 pm »
I've been around guns all my life! Lots of them in fact and I have yet to see a gun do anything!  If you lay it on a table it will just lie there forever until someone picks it up and moves it.

GUNS don't do anything! Never have and never will!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 10:07:58 pm »
I've been around guns all my life! Lots of them in fact and I have yet to see a gun do anything!  If you lay it on a table it will just lie there forever until someone picks it up and moves it.

:amen:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 12:30:46 am »
Hmmmm......

Looking at the chart EdinVA posted in reply #2, it looks like gun deaths have declined in every category from 2007-2011, with the one exception of "other guns".

And I wouldn't be surprised if -- within the same 2007-2011 time frame, that the NUMBER of privately-owned guns hasn't surged. Probably up by 50%, or more.

This would tend to substantiate John Lott's claim of "more guns, less crime".

Perhaps I've missed something...

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 12:41:32 am »
Hmmmm......

Looking at the chart EdinVA posted in reply #2, it looks like gun deaths have declined in every category from 2007-2011, with the one exception of "other guns".

And I wouldn't be surprised if -- within the same 2007-2011 time frame, that the NUMBER of privately-owned guns hasn't surged. Probably up by 50%, or more.

This would tend to substantiate John Lott's claim of "more guns, less crime".

Perhaps I've missed something...

And that chart is from obama's own FBI website.
I have no idea why it is not more current.
Maybe intentional?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 12:42:40 am by EdinVA »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 01:00:00 am »

Guns are the liberal version of reefer madness.
The Republic is lost.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 01:28:39 am »
I'm sure an honest person like Obama is above doing something snarkey like loading the whole crowd with gun hating, left wing activists.

I'd bet he salts the crowd with a few 'uninformed right-wing crazies' just to show how extreme their viewpoints are...

It will obviously be a 'program' with 'programming' to achieve a desired result...

Libs will eat it up like candy...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 02:15:59 am »
And that chart is from obama's own FBI website.
I have no idea why it is not more current.
Maybe intentional?

I've wondered that same thing.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 02:32:35 am »
I've wondered that same thing.

If you listen to the organizations that try to get a handle on refugee resettlement and immigration statistics, they have been complaining that all of the standard federal gubmint reporting is at least 3 or 4 years "late" for the past several years.  So, I'd vote for intentional as well.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 04:44:30 am »
Barry,

F*CK YOU and your Town Hall. You're an irrelevancy!
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 12:57:07 pm »
Barry,

F*CK YOU and your Town Hall. You're an irrelevancy!

I think that sums things up quite nicely.  Exactly why we have the 2nd Amendment.    :patriot:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.