Author Topic: Cargill Fires Nearly 200 Muslim Workers Over Prayer Dispute  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Paladin

Cargill Fires Nearly 200 Muslim Workers Over Prayer Dispute
« on: January 02, 2016, 08:01:34 am »
My, my. I wonder how long it will be before the Obama DOJ or Labor Dept gets itself into the middle of this little dustup since it involves both religion and immigration.

"In an attempt to pressure Cargill Meat Solutions in Fort Morgan, Colorado, to accommodate their prayer demands, over 200 Muslim workers walked off their jobs twelve days ago. But the strike backfired badly because the meatpacking plant fired approximately 190 of the workers, most of them immigrants from Somalia.

Via the Denver Post:

Some workers later returned, but the majority stayed away as representatives of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) negotiated on their behalf.

On Tuesday Cargill, through its attorneys, fired the workers who were holding out, said Jaylani Hussein, a spokesman and executive director of CAIR.

Some of the fired employees have been working at the plant for up to 10 years, Hussein said.

The dispute stemmed from the company's policies regarding a prayer room they have provided for Muslims at the plant.

Hussein claimed that the Muslim workers had previously been allowed to pray at "different times of the day, typically in about five-to-10 minute blocks."

Mike Martin, director of communications for Cargill, told The Greeley Tribune that "employees of all faiths are allowed to use a reflection area, but that because employees work on an assembly line only one or two at a time can use the area to avoid slowing production."

According to Hussein, the workers were told, "If you want to pray, go home."

The workers decided to walk off the job in an attempt to pressure plant managers to give in to their prayer demands while Hussein and Jenifer Wicks, also of CAIR, negotiated with Cargill:

On Tuesday, they were told of the mass firing.

Hussein said company officials told him the mass dismissal was over a "no call, no show, walk out."

"It's disappointing," Hussein said.

CAIR is now asking Cargill to rehire the workers, even though the company has a policy stating that "any workers who are terminated can not reapply for a position for 6 months."

Meanwhile, "the workers continue to express their desire to be allowed a prayer break," Hussein said.

Cargill told 9NEWS that their attendance and religious accommodation policy had not changed.

"In the Fort Morgan plant, a reflection area for use by all employees to pray was established in April 2009, and is available during work shifts based on our ability to adequately staff a given work area," the Cargill statement to 9NEWS reads. "While reasonable efforts are made to accommodate employees, accommodation is not guaranteed every day and is dependent on a number of factors that can, and do, change from day to day. This has been clearly communicated to all employees. Cargill makes every reasonable attempt to provide religious accommodation to all employees based on our ability to do so without disruption to our beef processing business at Fort Morgan."

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2016/1/1/cargill-fires-nearly-200-muslim-workers-over-prayer-dispute
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

HAPPY2BME

Re: Cargill Fires Nearly 200 Muslim Workers Over Prayer Dispute
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 08:31:05 am »
How much 'pork' is being processed at this Cargill meat processing plant?

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 02:41:11 pm »
Here's a practice that needs to catch on--business needs first.   

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 09:30:18 pm »
Here's a practice that needs to catch on--business needs first.   

=========================================

Muslims can't dictate 'infidel' business owner's work standards.

They are a 'double-jeapordy' risk in that they demand prayer time (in addition to their normal break and lunch periods) and CAN'T TOUCH PORK.

What meat processor in their right mind would hire such a liability?  Not to mention the 'other' on the job employment 'safety' risks.

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 10:49:26 pm »
How much 'pork' is being processed at this Cargill meat processing plant?
None after DOJ and AClU and Cair have their way.  :smokin:

rangerrebew

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 11:25:23 pm »
Whoa!  Just a dern minute here!  200 muzzies on the job?  I thought Mejicanos were supposed to take the jobs Americans didn't want.  Isn't that reason liberals gave for THEIR invasion? :pondering:  On the other hand, slaughtering, beheading, and  dismembering  seem perfect for the muzzies.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 11:28:11 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 11:45:43 pm »
I lived in Fort Morgan in the 1950s long enough for my two younger brothers to be born there (1952, 1953).

Visited a few years ago, and noticed two major changes.

1. Formerly a sugar beet growing region, it is now government subsidized corn. As an aside, corn is a more attractive crop visually.

2. There were black people, living in apartment blocks near the city center.

I doubt the locals like their new neighbors. Being largely agricultural, there is a long term established Hispanic population. They were there when I was a kid, and in my recent visit. I stopped and talked with one family on the street where my Dad built our house.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 11:53:19 pm »
This is my stand on this. I will try to be a gentle as I can.
What I think is this.

F**K Allah.
F**K Muhammed.
F**K their stupid assh*le prayers.
F**K the Muslims.

If they don't like it here, they are more than welcome to leave.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 01:58:24 am »
Whoa!  Just a dern minute here!  200 muzzies on the job?  I thought Mejicanos were supposed to take the jobs Americans didn't want.  Isn't that reason liberals gave for THEIR invasion? :pondering:  On the other hand, slaughtering, beheading, and  dismembering  seem perfect for the muzzies.

==================================================

This is quite the abnormality.

Walk into 95% of ALL meat processing plants and the majority of MANAGEMENT (not just the workers) are working on GREEN CARDS.

This one is quite curious, surely not making many green card holders from Mexico very happy.

rangerrebew

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 09:13:25 pm »
This is my stand on this. I will try to be a gentle as I can.
What I think is this.

F**K Allah.
F**K Muhammed.
F**K their stupid assh*le prayers.
F**K the Muslims.

If they don't like it here, they are more than welcome to leave.

I'm not certain I understand the point you're making. :mauslaff:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 09:14:55 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Cargill changes hiring policy following dispute involving Muslim workers
Ex-employees can reapply for work sooner now after the dispute in Colorado.
By Mike Hughlett Star Tribune
January 8, 2016 — 8:04pm

Cargill will change its hiring policy — allowing employees to be potentially rehired 30 days after termination, not 180 days — in response to a walkout by Somali workers in Colorado.

After a dispute over Muslim prayer time, about 150 employees at Cargill's sprawling Fort Morgan, Colo., plant didn't show up for work for three days — grounds for termination. They were fired. Some of those workers claimed they weren't allowed to take prayer breaks, while Cargill claimed that it was still following its policy allowing the breaks.

Minnetonka-based Cargill said in a statement Friday that it will change the hiring policy at all of its North American beef plants, allowing former employees terminated for "attendance violation or job abandonment" to be considered for rehiring 30 days after being fired. The workers would have to reapply for their jobs.

"We believe the change in our beef business policy related to how quickly a former employee may be eligible to reapply for positions at our beef plants is a reasonable update to something that's been in place for quite a few years," Cargill Beef President John Keating said in a statement.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), which has been representing many terminated Somali workers, said it welcomed Cargill's change in hiring policy, though it criticized Cargill's prayer break policy as ambiguous.

Praying five times a day is a fundamental tenet of the Muslim faith. The Fort Morgan plant, which employs 2,100, has long had two "reflection rooms," where Muslim workers can take short, usually 5-minute, prayer breaks.

On Dec. 18, some Somali workers didn't get the chance to take prayer breaks, which CAIR says was the culmination of long-standing tensions over prayer breaks at the plant.

Cargill said that on that day, 11 Somali workers in one part of the plant all wanted to pray at once during the second shift. Normally, the company allows only one to three to go at a time during a shift so as not to interfere with meat production.

Cargill initially said 10 Somali workers resigned at the end of the shift after the dispute and that 180 didn't call in or show up for the first three days of the following workweek, and were thus terminated. On Friday, Cargill spokesman Mike Martin said the number of workers actually terminated was 150, not 180, and that 30 workers had called in sick or were on leave or vacation, giving them valid reasons for not being at work.

"The terminations at Fort Morgan appear to be based on a misunderstanding, or misinformation, about a perceived change in our religious accommodation policy that did not occur," Keating said. "Allegations that we were not going to allow prayer any longer are false."

CAIR, a Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, said it had discussions with Cargill's attorneys last week. "While we welcome the changes to the termination rehire process, because our clients want to return to work and support their families, this does not resolve the prayer accommodation denial and the ambiguity of the current policy on prayer," Jenifer Wicks, CAIR's litigation director in Washington.

Jaylani Hussein, CAIR's Minnesota executive director, said in a statement that there has been a "pattern of hostility" to prayer accommodation requests at Fort Morgan.

Cargill refuted that, saying in a statement that "the vast majority of religious accommodation requests are routinely granted during each of the plant's two weekday work shifts." The breaks, which are granted based on production line staffing, are not guaranteed and are not part of the meal and break periods outlined in Cargill's contract with Teamsters Local 455, the company said. Teamsters representatives have not returned requests for comment.

Cargill, the largest U.S. private company, is one of North America's largest beef producers, operating eight major plants, including six in the United States, which together employ 18,000 workers. The Fort Morgan plant slaughters cattle and produces boxed beef.

Since the Somali workers were terminated, it's been "challenging" to run the Fort Morgan plant at full speed, Martin said. "We're operating at significantly reduced capacity on the second shift."

While Cargill has hired some people since the walkout, the labor pool isn't large in Fort Morgan, a town of about 12,000 people.

Over the past few decades, U.S. meatpacking plants — including in Minnesota — have increasingly relied on immigrant communities for labor. About one-third of Cargill's workers at Fort Morgan are immigrants, or come from immigrant families from Africa, and are predominantly Muslim. Much of the rest of the workforce there is of Hispanic descent.

http://www.startribune.com/cargill-changes-rehiring-policy-following-dispute-involving-muslim-workers/364656531/
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 05:32:02 pm by rangerrebew »

HAPPY2BME

Cargill will change its hiring policy — allowing employees to be potentially rehired 30 days after termination, not 180 days — in response to a walkout by Somali workers in Colorado.

========================================

Since Americans no longer work in these meat processing plant, Cargill's better option is to just hire Mexican green card holders to do the job, over the Muslims.

The Mexicans won't threaten to cut the heads off of the owners (and other workers) or burn the place down, and the Mexicans will do the job without extra prayer breaks.