Author Topic: Obituaries for 2016  (Read 143653 times)

Offline Lando Lincoln

Re: Obituaries for 2016
« Reply #875 on: December 24, 2016, 12:13:18 am »
My great grandmother passed away 20 years ago at 96, her daughter (my grandmother) passed away at 94 in January, and my mother on September 2nd at 69.

I knew you had suffered a loss this past year but I wasn't aware of the details.  My condolences. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #876 on: December 24, 2016, 12:28:21 am »
I knew you had suffered a loss this past year but I wasn't aware of the details.  My condolences.

Sounds very similar to the way my mother went.

I walked over to her house about 10 pm before I went to bed as I usually did. I was sitting on the couch talking to her as she was filling her coffee maker for the next morning when she collapsed. I was pretty aware that I was just going through the motions as I did CPR waiting for the paramedics. The paramedics spent another 10 or so minutes with her before taking her to the hospital.

They pronounced her deceased at the hospital but the doc said she effectively passed at home. I guess that's the way to go, unsuspecting like a light switch.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #877 on: December 24, 2016, 01:02:11 am »
Women don't do well with heart attacks.

My mother was only 69.

So sorry for your loss.  I was told that women usually don't have the same symptoms as men, or they are more likely to ignore the symptoms or think the symptoms are for something else .  My arrest came following a severe bout of nausea and vomiting.  Went to the emergency room, was told I must have a bad case of stomach flu, but was admitted because I was so severely dehydrated.  Lying in the hospital bed, I dozed off.  When I woke up, I was surrounded by 15 medical staffers, one of whom was pounding on my chest and another holding two paddles.  That's when I was told I had actually arrested twice and the paddles were used a toral of 7 times.  I had none of the well known symptoms -- crushing pain in the chest, for example -- and the digestive upset was dismissed as the flu even by medical professionals. 

Anyway, that's why women often don't survive.  So easy to miss the symptoms. 

Online DB

« Reply #878 on: December 24, 2016, 02:14:46 am »
So sorry for your loss.  I was told that women usually don't have the same symptoms as men, or they are more likely to ignore the symptoms or think the symptoms are for something else .  My arrest came following a severe bout of nausea and vomiting.  Went to the emergency room, was told I must have a bad case of stomach flu, but was admitted because I was so severely dehydrated.  Lying in the hospital bed, I dozed off.  When I woke up, I was surrounded by 15 medical staffers, one of whom was pounding on my chest and another holding two paddles.  That's when I was told I had actually arrested twice and the paddles were used a toral of 7 times.  I had none of the well known symptoms -- crushing pain in the chest, for example -- and the digestive upset was dismissed as the flu even by medical professionals. 

Anyway, that's why women often don't survive.  So easy to miss the symptoms.

Wow!

I had this strange pain in my left arm pit area that didn't lessen no matter how I positioned myself. It was the second time it had happened. When my left arm deep inside started aching the light bulb went off in my head and I took myself to the emergency room and told them I think I'm having a heart attack... For about 8 hours all my tests came back negative. Nitro tablets didn't help with the pain. Then the last blood test looking for dying heart muscle enzyme came up positive and I was still in pain... They immediately put me in an ambulance for another hospital that specializes in cardiac care. They told me I was going to the other hospital for "some tests"... They rolled me straight into the surgical room at about midnight...

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #879 on: December 24, 2016, 02:31:21 am »
I was just on the phone with a friend and he speculated that Ms. Fisher's health might have been ruined by all her ECT treatments.

@Cripplecreek I'm sorry for your losses.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #880 on: December 24, 2016, 02:32:38 am »
I was just on the phone with a friend and he speculated that Ms. Fisher's health might have been ruined by all her ECT treatments.

@Cripplecreek I'm sorry for your losses.

Apparently she's going to make it. Her brother says she's in stable condition.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #881 on: December 24, 2016, 02:43:22 am »
Apparently she's going to make it. Her brother says she's in stable condition.

The Force is with her?

I'm glad she's going to make it.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #882 on: December 24, 2016, 02:44:29 am »
That's good to hear.  :)

Yes it is. I hope she stars in more star wars movies.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #883 on: December 24, 2016, 02:58:53 am »

Yes it is. I hope she stars in more star wars movies.

She's in critical condition and in the ICU.  Her brother is denying earlier reports of her being stable.

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/carrie-fisher-heart-attack-star-wars-1201947925/

« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 03:00:10 am by Just_Victor »
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #884 on: December 24, 2016, 02:44:07 pm »
Too soon to know whether Miss Fisher will survive.  Confinement in a coronary  ICU for at least a few days is routine following a cardiac event.  She will probably be  on monitors and nurses will constantly be checking her vitals.  She might be stable now, but it's going to be touch and go.  She might also be on a  ventilator, which is routine following a cardiac arrest. 

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #885 on: December 24, 2016, 04:32:17 pm »
Status Quo's Guitarist Rick Parfitt passes away.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38427459

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wI3tbBk1PA

I believe they never achieved great success in the US but much in the UK and Europe.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #886 on: December 24, 2016, 04:41:52 pm »
Status Quo's Guitarist Rick Parfitt passes away.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38427459

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wI3tbBk1PA

I believe they never achieved great success in the US but much in the UK and Europe.

They were an opening act when I saw them in the mid 70's.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #887 on: December 24, 2016, 04:47:41 pm »

Who were they opening for?

------

Some time ago, I watched them do some "oldies" types of songs on youtube clips. It was pretty good.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #888 on: December 24, 2016, 04:50:51 pm »
Who were they opening for?

------

Some time ago, I watched them do some "oldies" types of songs on youtube clips. It was pretty good.

Peter Frampton & Gary Wright at the Oakland Coliseum. In hindsite they pioneers of the 80s style hair band.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #889 on: December 24, 2016, 07:27:39 pm »

They had only one big hit in the United States, several years before they switched to almost generic boogie rock
(strangely enough, it was released on a Chess subsidiary label, at the time company scion Marshall Chess was
trying to find his way at the company and came up with such hilarious missteps as psychedelicising Muddy
Waters with two terrible albums, Electric Mud and After the Rain):

Status Quo, "Pictures of Matchstick Men"

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #890 on: December 24, 2016, 07:41:42 pm »
They had only one big hit in the United States, several years before they switched to almost generic boogie rock
(strangely enough, it was released on a Chess subsidiary label, at the time company scion Marshall Chess was
trying to find his way at the company and came up with such hilarious missteps as psychedelicising Muddy

I'm sorry, but I can't picture a psychedelic Muddy Waters.  My brain's wiring just won't permit it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #891 on: December 24, 2016, 07:43:45 pm »

Oh, that song!  I knew the song, never knew who did it.
Let it burn.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #892 on: December 24, 2016, 09:11:25 pm »
I'm sorry, but I can't picture a psychedelic Muddy Waters.  My brain's wiring just won't permit it.

I don't think anyone else could have, either, when those albums came out. Between the two
Electric Mud was really the worst, forcing him into a psych thing that didn't really suit
him no matter how much the more psychedelicised blues rockers of that period (circa 1968)
admired him. He was far better suited to working with younger musicians willing to work on
his turf---the Fathers and Sons album (which included three younger players who learned
directly from him in Chicago before striking on their own in the original Butterfield Blues Band:
Paul Butterfield, Mike Bloomfield, and Sam Lay) was a perfect example.

The Electric Mud experiment was with the best of intentions, Chess scion Marshall Chess
trying a bid to get Muddy Waters (and Howlin' Wolf, via This is Howlin' Wolf's New Album. He
Doesn't Like It. He Didn't Like His Electric Guitar At First, Either.
) modernised for the rock
crowds whose heroes admired Muddy.

The younger Chess had also started the Cadet Concept label on which he planned to put more
experimental musicians in soul, blues, and rock. The Status Quo was one such group when
he went to England looking for talent and landed the U.S. rights to distribute "Pictures of Matchstick
Men." The best known of the Cadet Concept finds was a kind of psychedelic soul group called
Rotary Connection, a racially integrated band (as the Butterfield Blues Band was) who yielded
up the gifted but ill-fated singer Minnie Riperton.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #893 on: December 25, 2016, 12:20:52 am »
Joey Boots from Howard Stern show dies at 49

Joey Boots, who helped introduce America to the expression "Baba Booey" on The Howard Stern Show, has died at 49.

The radio personality, whose real surname is Bassolino, was found unresponsive in his Bronx apartment Friday, report TMZ and  CNN.

The NYPD later confirmed his death to the Hollywood Reporter.

Bassolino, who was part of the rogue's gallery known as the Wack Pack, grabbed attention by shouting "Baba Booey" on Stern's show and during live TV reports. He even managed to successfully defend his right to do so in a New York court.

His friends learned of his death after they began Friday's taping of his podcast, The Joey Boots Show.

Fellow Wack Packer Erik "High Pitch" Bleaman told CNN that he had gone to check on his friend when he failed to show for taping. He entered Bassolino's apartment with the help of a building manager.

Bleaman then called into the show and asked them to stop recording so he could deliver the bad news, but they kept rolling tape, which was obtained by TMZ.

"Me and the building manager opened Joey's door," he told them. "And Joey was slumped over his chair. He was ice cold."

The team then ended the show and called 911. Emergency responders pronounced Bassolino, who had openly discussed his diabetes, dead at the scene.

A medical examiner will determine his cause of death.

Stern promised via Twitter that the show would honor "the one and only Joey B" with a tribute show in the new year.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2016/12/24/joey-boots-bassolino-from-howard-stern-show-dies-at-49/95829684/
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 12:21:53 am by Freya »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #894 on: December 25, 2016, 12:44:19 am »
Per Status Quo; I guess they played even in December. Maybe he was pushing himself too much?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcAfjEcDuFE

From September, 2016:
Status Quo's Rick Parfitt 'may have played last show'

Status Quo guitarist Rick Parfitt may have played his last show with the band, it has been revealed today. Following Parfitt's near-fatal heart attack while touring Turkey in June, "Rick may well have performed his last show with Quo," according to the band's manager Simon Porter.

More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-to-listen-to/status-quos-rick-parfitt-may-have-played-last-show/

Offline TomSea

« Reply #895 on: December 25, 2016, 12:45:06 am »
Joey Boots from Howard Stern show dies at 49

Joey Boots, who helped introduce America to the expression "Baba Booey" on The Howard Stern Show, has died at 49.

The radio personality, whose real surname is Bassolino, was found unresponsive in his Bronx apartment Friday, report TMZ and  CNN.

The NYPD later confirmed his death to the Hollywood Reporter.

Bassolino, who was part of the rogue's gallery known as the Wack Pack, grabbed attention by shouting "Baba Booey" on Stern's show and during live TV reports. He even managed to successfully defend his right to do so in a New York court.

His friends learned of his death after they began Friday's taping of his podcast, The Joey Boots Show.

Fellow Wack Packer Erik "High Pitch" Bleaman told CNN that he had gone to check on his friend when he failed to show for taping. He entered Bassolino's apartment with the help of a building manager.

Bleaman then called into the show and asked them to stop recording so he could deliver the bad news, but they kept rolling tape, which was obtained by TMZ.

"Me and the building manager opened Joey's door," he told them. "And Joey was slumped over his chair. He was ice cold."

The team then ended the show and called 911. Emergency responders pronounced Bassolino, who had openly discussed his diabetes, dead at the scene.

A medical examiner will determine his cause of death.

Stern promised via Twitter that the show would honor "the one and only Joey B" with a tribute show in the new year.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2016/12/24/joey-boots-bassolino-from-howard-stern-show-dies-at-49/95829684/

Rest In Peace, I heard of this, never listened to Stern much; but this is a bad time of year for this to happen.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #896 on: December 25, 2016, 12:48:17 am »
Rest In Peace, I heard of this, never listened to Stern much; but this is a bad time of year for this to happen.

I don't know where I'm stealing this from, but "I'm staying up until Midnight 12/31 just to watch 2016 DIE."
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 12:48:42 am by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #897 on: December 25, 2016, 11:24:41 pm »
Ex-Wham! singer George Michael dies

George MichaelImage copyright PA
Singer George Michael has died aged 53, his publicist has said.

The star, who launched his career with Wham! in the 1980s and later continued his success as a solo performer, is said to have "passed away peacefully at home".

Thames Valley Police said South Central Ambulance Service attended a property in Goring in Oxfordshire at 13:42 GMT.

Police say there were no suspicious circumstances.

Michael, who was born Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou in north London, sold more than 100m albums throughout a career spanning almost four decades.

He first found fame with his schoolfriend Andrew Ridgeley in duo Wham! before going on to release solo albums, including the multi-million selling Faith and Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1.

Earlier this month it was announced that producer and songwriter Naughty Boy was working with Michael on a new album.

In a statement, the star's publicist said: "It is with great sadness that we can confirm our beloved son, brother and friend George passed away peacefully at home over the Christmas period.

"The family would ask that their privacy be respected at this difficult and emotional time. There will be no further comment at this stage."

In 2011, Michael postponed a series of concerts after being taken to hospital for treatment for pneumonia.

After treatment in a Vienna hospital, he made a tearful appearance outside his London home and said it had been "touch and go" whether he lived.

Doctors were said to have performed a tracheotomy to keep his airways open and he was unconscious for some of his spell in hospital.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38432862
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 11:25:24 pm by Freya »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #898 on: December 25, 2016, 11:27:13 pm »
this year hasn’t been  a good year for musicians.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #899 on: December 25, 2016, 11:48:50 pm »
Total shock, Rest In Peace George Michael.