Author Topic: Obituaries for 2016  (Read 143629 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Obituaries for 2016
« Reply #850 on: December 19, 2016, 10:22:02 pm »
How tragic, Jean Shepard died a few months back. Now her granddaughter was brutally stabbed and her ex-boyfriend or husband was shot, the grandfather injured, one has to read it for onself. The ex-boyfriend started these tragic events? That's what it sounds like to me.

http://www.syracuse.com/celebrity-news/index.ssf/2016/12/jean_shepard_granddaughter_killed_husband_stabbed.html  <--- Better reporting.

Too much news.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4048976/Country-star-Jean-Shepard-s-granddaughter-18-murdered-husband-stabbed-weekend-slaughter-left-two-dead.html <--- More photos.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 10:35:12 pm by TomSea »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #851 on: December 21, 2016, 02:13:39 am »
Director Gordon Hunt, RIP (1929 - 2016)

Director Gordon Hunt has died at the age of 87.

Gordon Edwynn Hunt (April 26, 1929 -- December 17, 2016) was an American director, actor, producer and writer.

He directed such animated productions as The Jetsons, Scooby-Doo, Super Friends, The Pirates of Dark Water, Droopy, Master Detective, Pound Puppies, The Richie Rich Show, The Smurfs and many more...

He is the father of [Emmy, Oscar, Golden Globe, and SAG Award winner] Helen Hunt from his marriage to photographer Jane Elizabeth Novis; they later divorced. Since 1995, he has been married to [actress, voice actress and singer] B.J. Ward [of "Stand-Up Opera" fame]...
From Wikipedia

IMDb page

Tribute

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #852 on: December 21, 2016, 05:50:23 pm »
Marion Pritchard, a Dutch social work student who was credited with saving dozens of Jews during the Holocaust, spiriting some to safe houses, hiding others under floorboards, and, in one case, executing a Nazi before he could arrest a family of four, died Dec. 11 in Washington. She was 96.
The cause was cerebral arteriosclerosis, according to her family.

Pritchard was recognized in 1981 by Yad Vashem, the Holocaust memorial in Jerusalem, as one of the "righteous among the nations" - those gentiles who, seeking no reward, risked their lives to rescue Jews from the Nazi dragnet that claimed 6 million lives during World War II.

She was said to have fed, clothed, hidden or otherwise aided as many as 150 people, many of them children. She insisted that she could not have done her work without the assistance, overt or implied, of neighbors, friends and other members of the resistance. She observed, her son Arnold Pritchard recalled, that only rarely if ever during the Holocaust could one person single-handedly save the life of another.

Pritchard - then van Binsbergen - was 19 when Germany invaded the Netherlands in May 1940. She credited her father, a Dutch judge who abhorred the Nazi ideology, and her mother, an Englishwoman who raised her daughter in the Anglican faith, with instilling in her a sense of justice and moral resolve.

The "crucial moment" for her came in 1942, she said, when she was riding her bicycle to her university in Amsterdam and witnessed the liquidation of a home for Jewish children. Deportation of Jews from the Netherlands began that year and would continue into 1944. Of 107,000 Jews taken away, all but 5,200 would perish. Less than 25 percent of Dutch Jewry survived the Holocaust, according to the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum.

"It was a beautiful spring morning, and it was a street I had known since I had been born, and all of a sudden you see little kids picked up by their pigtails or by a leg and thrown over the side of a truck," Pritchard said in an interview published in the volume "Voices From the Holocaust" by Harry James Cargas. "You stop but you can't believe it."

She watched two women attempt to stop the soldiers, only to be put in the truck with the children. At that moment, she said, she committed herself to fighting Nazi persecution in whatever way possible.

Along with about 10 friends, she helped obtain false identity documents and hiding places to help Jews evade arrest. Despite severe food shortages, they scrounged up extra ration cards and provisions. She put her social work training to use by finding host families to take in Jewish children and prepare the families for the perils they faced.

At times, she performed what was known as the "mission of disgrace," falsely declaring herself to be the unwed mother of a baby to conceal the child's Jewish identity. A toddler spent several months with her before she found a safer home outside Amsterdam.

For nearly three years, Pritchard cared for a Jewish man, Fred Polak, and his two young sons and infant daughter, taking up residence in the country home of an acquaintance where they were hidden. In case of a Nazi roundup, they perfected a routine by which the father and his children could slip beneath the floorboards within 17 seconds. They gave the baby sleeping pills to prevent her from crying.

One day, three Germans and a Dutch policeman came to search the house and left, having failed to detect the hideaway. Shortly thereafter, the Dutchman, who nonetheless suspected that something was awry, returned and discovered the hideout. Before he could make an arrest, Pritchard grabbed a small revolver that she had kept for such an emergency and fatally shot him.

"I would do it again, under the same circumstances," she told an interviewer years later, "but it still bothers me."

She credited a local undertaker with helping dispose of the corpse by burying it with another body in a coffin. "I just hope that the family would have approved," she said.

Marion Philippina van Binsbergen was born in Amsterdam on Nov. 7, 1920. She grew up mainly in the Netherlands but traveled frequently to England, where she attended boarding school.

When the war broke out, she was studying social work at the University of Amsterdam. She was arrested in 1941 and imprisoned for seven months after being caught at a meeting where students were transcribing Allied radio broadcasts for dissemination. Until then, "I always thought I had my mother's ability to ignore fear," she remarked, according to the International Raoul Wallenberg Foundation.

She said it was perhaps easier for her than for others to face the dangers of rescue work, her son recalled, because she was not married at the time and did not have children of her own: She was risking no life but her own.

Among the most famous Jews who sought refuge in the Netherlands were the German-born diarist Anne Frank and her sister Margot. Pritchard told the Los Angeles Times that she met them by chance at a birthday party before they went into hiding and were ultimately discovered, deported and murdered.

After the war, Pritchard became a United Nations social worker in displaced-persons camps. Through those assignments, she met her husband, Anton Pritchard, a former U.S. Army officer. In 1947, they were married in one of the camps.

The Pritchards settled in Waccabuc, N.Y., and later in Vershire, Vt. Pritchard continued her social service work in the United States, helping refugee families. She graduated from what is now the Boston Graduate School of Psychoanalysis and ran a psychoanalysis practice for several decades. In 2006, she moved to Washington.
Her husband died in 1991. Survivors include three sons, Arnold Pritchard of New Haven, Conn., Brian Pritchard of Los Angeles and Ivor Pritchard of Washington; eight grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Pritchard's wartime story was chronicled in books including "Conscience and Courage: Rescuers of Jews During the Holocaust" by Eva Fogelman and the documentary "The Courage to Care" (1985).

"Most of us were brought up to tell [the] truth, to obey the secular law and the Ten Commandments," she said in a 1996 lecture. "By 1945, I had stolen, cheated, deceived, and even killed."

She attributed her morals to her parents, who she said had treated her with "respect and consideration from the time" she was born. "As a result," she observed, "I grew up treating other people the same way."

Erica Polak, a Dutch psychologist, was the infant girl who survived the war in the countryside shelter with her father and brothers, thanks to Pritchard's efforts.

"My whole family is so grateful to her," she wrote in an email after her rescuer died, "no words will ever be enough to describe that deep gratitude we feel.”

http://jewishworldreview.com/1216/pritchard_obit.php3
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #853 on: December 21, 2016, 06:31:11 pm »
Michèle Morgan, lustrous French actress of ‘Port of Shadows,’ dies at 96

Michèle Morgan, a French movie actress who starred in the moody masterpiece “Port of Shadows” and who, during a brief Hollywood sojourn, helped introduce Frank Sinatra to film audiences in his first big role, died Dec. 20. She was 96.

French President François Hollande announced the death, calling her “an elegance, a grace, a legend that left a mark on many generations. . . . The greatest directors called upon her, and she was part of masterpieces that still live in everyone’s memories.” No other details were provided.

In a career spanning seven decades, Ms. Morgan was best known as the ethereal femme fatale in “Port of Shadows” (1938), a film at the core of the poetic realism movement in French cinema. As visually sumptuous as they were bleak, the movies often involved working-class characters and social outcasts whose destinies are beyond their control — in essence, a precursor to the cynical and sinister world of American film noir.
More

Wikipedia

IMDb

« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 06:32:09 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #854 on: December 21, 2016, 07:18:07 pm »
Marion Pritchard, a Dutch social work student who was credited with saving dozens of Jews during the Holocaust, spiriting some to safe houses, hiding others under floorboards, and, in one case, executing a Nazi before he could arrest a family of four, died Dec. 11 in Washington. She was 96.
The cause was cerebral arteriosclerosis, according to her family.

http://jewishworldreview.com/1216/pritchard_obit.php3

They don't make them like that any more.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #855 on: December 21, 2016, 07:24:17 pm »
They don't make them like that any more.

No they don't. What an inspiration.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #856 on: December 23, 2016, 01:38:32 am »
Raconteur Gordie Tapp dies at 94

Canadian country musician, comic and storyteller Gordon R. Tapp was an early personality for the Canadian Broadcasting Company in the 1950s. He is best known as a cast member and writer for the long-running variety show Hee Haw and, at the peak of his fame, was once dubbed "the world's funniest storyteller" in a meeting with U.S. President Gerald Ford.

A more-or-less lifelong resident of southern Ontario, Tapp was still performing until shortly before his death from old age.

Obituary from the CBC

Wikipedia
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 01:39:37 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #857 on: December 23, 2016, 02:27:36 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJZY__j0Tyk

So long, Mr. Tapp, and thanks for the laughs....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 06:14:21 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #861 on: December 23, 2016, 10:05:24 pm »
And, she's only 60?

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #862 on: December 23, 2016, 10:06:36 pm »
And, she's only 60?

She was a heavy drug user for many many years. Not saying that's what caused this...

Offline skeeter

« Reply #863 on: December 23, 2016, 10:07:30 pm »
And, she's only 60?

Her mom's still kicking at 84.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #864 on: December 23, 2016, 10:07:48 pm »

She was a heavy drug user for many many years. Not saying that's what caused this...

Probably didn't help.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #865 on: December 23, 2016, 10:08:14 pm »
Other sites are reporting that Ms. Fisher had a heart attack.  While a heart attack can result in a cardiac arrest, the two terms are not interchangeable.     

I pray she comes through this ok.  Only about 5% to 7% of cardiac arrest patients survive, and of those who do survive, there is often brain damage, anywhere from mild to severe. 

(Pretending I'm an expert since I'm one of the survivors)

Offline Applewood

« Reply #866 on: December 23, 2016, 10:10:16 pm »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #867 on: December 23, 2016, 10:37:42 pm »
Definitely will pray about this.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #868 on: December 23, 2016, 10:59:23 pm »

Read an interview with her in which she said that she barely remembers filming Star Wars. She said it was just a haze of alcohol, drugs, and sex.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online DB

« Reply #869 on: December 23, 2016, 11:37:33 pm »
Had mine at 56.

52... A month later a kidney stone and then two years later kidney cancer...

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #870 on: December 23, 2016, 11:39:31 pm »
Women don't do well with heart attacks.

My mother was only 69.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #871 on: December 23, 2016, 11:43:56 pm »
Had mine at 56.

I'm still working on mine.

Online DB

« Reply #872 on: December 24, 2016, 12:00:24 am »
I'm still working on mine.

Well you obviously aren't working hard enough.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #873 on: December 24, 2016, 12:08:51 am »
Had mine at 56.

Wow.  Glad it turned out right.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #874 on: December 24, 2016, 12:09:28 am »
My great-grandmother passed from one at the age of 60.  I was five at the time and was devastated to lose her.  She smoked, but didn't drink or do drugs.  Was a little overweight, but not by much.  Worked hard out in the fields as she was a farmer's wife.

My great grandmother passed away 20 years ago at 96, her daughter (my grandmother) passed away at 94 in January, and my mother on September 2nd at 69.