Author Topic: Obituaries for 2016  (Read 143484 times)

rangerrebew

Re: Obituaries for 2016
« Reply #550 on: September 06, 2016, 11:43:41 am »
September 05, 2016, 07:17 pm
Phyllis Schlafly dead at 92

By The Hill staff

Getty Images
Longtime conservative activist and Eagle Forum founder Phyllis Schlafly died Monday. She was 92.

“Today, Phyllis Schlafly passed away in the presence of her family at her home in St. Louis, Missouri,” the Eagle Forum posted in a statement on its website.

The group called its founder, who it said spent 70 years in public service, “an indomitable pro-family grassroots advocate and organizer.”

“Her focus from her earliest days until her final ones was protecting the family, which she understood as the building block of life. ... From military superiority and defense to immigration and trade; from unborn life to the nuclear family and parenthood, Phyllis Schlafly was a courageous and articulate voice for common sense and traditional values.”

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...fly-dead-at-92

Offline Applewood

« Reply #551 on: September 06, 2016, 12:26:31 pm »
They still run "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp" on Cozi TV, anyone remember "Search"? Is it wrong that the channels I prefer all play programs from the 50's, 60's? But then in those programs men were MEN, and women were WOMEN and never a transgender word was heard, the values were strong, the morals were clear and queer meant something odd (okay so too many of us it still does) families consisted of one dad that lived in the home, one mom and reasonably normal children. A time when comedians could make you laugh without being filthy except in an adult venue.

I'm with you.  I can't even tell you what the current TV station lineup is these days.  Haven't seen any of them. 

I did try at one point to watch Modern Family its first season because everyone I knew was into it.  I made it through maybe the first 3 minutes and turned it off.  As far as I could tell, what made the show "cutting edge" was the gay "couple."  But having gay guys on a comedy show doesn't make it funny anymore than a comedian in a comedy club spewing a stream of profanities makes him funny.  I'm not a prude, but is it too much to ask for a comedy show to have some genuinely funny lines and antics without the "hook" of controversy?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #552 on: September 06, 2016, 12:31:55 pm »
I'm with you.  I can't even tell you what the current TV station lineup is these days.  Haven't seen any of them. 

I did try at one point to watch Modern Family its first season because everyone I knew was into it.  I made it through maybe the first 3 minutes and turned it off.  As far as I could tell, what made the show "cutting edge" was the gay "couple."  But having gay guys on a comedy show doesn't make it funny anymore than a comedian in a comedy club spewing a stream of profanities makes him funny.  I'm not a prude, but is it too much to ask for a comedy show to have some genuinely funny lines and antics without the "hook" of controversy?
Last thing I saw that actually had me laughing was Jeff Dunham's ventriloquist act. Too much 'comedy' relies on 'edgy' nervousness for a laugh, and that doesn't work with me. At my age, I have heard most dirty jokes, in one variation or another, so it mostly just comes off as gratuitous profanity.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

rangerrebew

« Reply #553 on: September 06, 2016, 12:44:11 pm »
Twitter Users Mock Phyllis Schlafly, Celebrate Her Death
Photo of Blake Neff
Blake Neff
Reporter
8:41 PM 09/05/2016

WASHINGTON - OCTOBER 19: Phyllis Schlafly, president of the Eagle Forum, listens to applause during the Family Research Council   WASHINGTON - OCTOBER 19: Phyllis Schlafly, president of the Eagle Forum, listens to applause during the Family Research Council's 2007 Washington briefing October 19, 2007 in Washington, DC. The legislative action arm of the Family Research Council held the yearly event at which 2008 U.S. presidential hopefuls spoke, including Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-CO), former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and others. (Photo by Brendan Smialowski/Getty Images) ∧

Phyllis Schlafly died Monday at the age of 92, and Twitter users couldn’t even wait for her body to grow cold before celebrating her death in enthusiastic fashion.

Author and journalist Mark Harris summed up Schlafly’s life by saying she made the world worse off, and then jetted off to the movies.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/09/05/twitter-users-mock-phyllis-schlafly-celebrate-her-death/#ixzz4JTlEzOCU

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #554 on: September 06, 2016, 01:37:38 pm »
Another childhood hero has passed. :(

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBIT_HUGH_OBRIAN?SITE=MYPSP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-09-05-16-51-46

Never missed an episode!  Even made my dad take me to the Houston Fat Stock Show and Rodeo to see him in person once!  He was one of my heroes for sure! 

RIP Wyatt!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #555 on: September 06, 2016, 01:47:33 pm »
I watched an interview of Gene Wilder on youtube the other day.  He said the reason he hasn't acted in 20+ years was all of the profanity, filth, etc.  He said he hated Hollywood.  Was kind of refreshing to hear.  Of course I do seem to remember a scene with him in bed with a sheep....hmmmm......LOLOLOLOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbMa7BpPsNc
I actually saw that movie in a theater...(Woody Allen's Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex...) Woolite..I had forgotten about that, but that was pretty edgy, then. too much so to be anything but parody. Nowadays...?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 01:51:59 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #556 on: September 06, 2016, 02:31:45 pm »
Nowadays...?

It's one of the 375 gender choices on Facebook.
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #557 on: September 06, 2016, 03:26:01 pm »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline hiram1950

« Reply #558 on: September 06, 2016, 09:26:48 pm »
The United States produced giants in the 20th Century...more per capita than other countries...who knows? Phyllis Schlafly was one of them, an awesome giant worthy of silent respect wherever she went, as in, "Look, that's Phyllis Schlafly," spoken in whispering admiration.

It's fitting that her detractors would mount a campaign of criticism on twitter. Such people would have to climb to the top of the highest mountain they could find to measure up to peers everyone knows to be twits. At that altitude they would need  the Palomar Telescope pointed straight up to find the bottom of Phyllis Schlafly's shoes.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #559 on: September 07, 2016, 07:29:35 pm »
Nice post, hiram. Please check out the thread I posted in the editorials forum re: letter to my daughter about Phyllis Schlafly.

I started at Washington U. School of Law the year Mrs. Schlafly graduated. As you might expect of an ultra-liberal institution, she was reviled, as was her one compatriot on the faculty, a constitutional law professor named Jules Girard (I never had him for class; I got stuck with the lefties who, thankfully, didn't seem to push any particular agenda). I did see her in the building a few times after she graduated, as I understand she stopped in to see Prof. Girard.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #560 on: September 08, 2016, 12:46:15 am »
Bobby Chacon, former two-division boxing champion from Sylmar, dies at 64

Bobby Chacon, a San Fernando Valley boxer who won world titles in two weight classes, died Wednesday at age 64.

Chacon, who had long suffered from the effects of brain damage, fell and struck his head in a Hemet care facility early Wednesday morning and succumbed to his injuries, said Ricky Farris, president of the West Coast Boxing Hall of Fame.

“One of the most exciting fighters in the history of the West Coast, an amazing blood-and-guts brawler who took on the best fighters in three divisions,” Farris said of Chacon, who will be inducted into the West Coast Boxing Hall of Fame on Sept. 25.

Chacon was born Nov. 28, 1951, in Sylmar and trained in Pacoima. A San Fernando High graduate and onetime liberal-arts student at Cal State Northridge, Chacon was nicknamed “Schoolboy” by veteran boxing publicist Bill Caplan.
More

Wikipedia

BoxRec

California Ping

Please click here to be added to or removed from the California Ping List.  ^-^

@American Patriot
@bootless
@flowers
@Ginger Republic
@GtHawk
@Half Vast Conspiracy
@Machiavelli
@Meshuge Mikey
@Mr McBeevee
@pogo101
@skeeter
@SZonian
@The Jackal
@truth_seeker

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 12:52:05 am by Machiavelli »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #561 on: September 09, 2016, 01:25:53 am »
Lady Chablis, transgender actress from 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil', dies at 59

The Lady Chablis, the transgender performer who became an unlikely celebrity for her role in the 1994 best-seller "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil," died Thursday in Savannah. She was 59.

Chablis' sister, Cynthia Ponder, confirmed she died at Candler Hospital. A close friend, Cale Hall, said Chablis died from pneumonia and had been in the hospital for the past month.

A modern, nonfiction take on Southern Gothic storytelling, author John Berendt's "Midnight" thrust Savannah into the pop-culture spotlight. And the sassy, blunt-spoken Chablis rode the book's popularity to a level of fame that was rare for transgender performers at the time.
More

Wikipedia

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #562 on: September 09, 2016, 01:43:49 am »
Had the memorial for my mom today. She was a great conservative who passed far too young.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #563 on: September 09, 2016, 03:48:45 am »
Had the memorial for my mom today. She was a great conservative who passed far too young.

So very sorry for your loss.  I can't imagine how painful this must be for you.  I wish I had some eloquent words to sooth the pain but I can only offer my empathy.  Prayers sent.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #564 on: September 09, 2016, 04:05:48 am »

She must have been a wonderful woman, or you would not have turned out quite so well, friend. I am sorry for your loss and continue to remember you in my prayers.

C S Lewis

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #565 on: September 10, 2016, 04:28:18 pm »
Lord Littlebrook dies at 87

Lord Littlebrook, easily one of the most famous midget wrestlers in history, has died after a long battle with a variety of health ailments. He was 87 years old.

Born Eric Tovey on January 3, 1929 in England, he came of age as the Second World War was on, and ran away from home at age 14 to join the circus. While on a tour of the United States, the circus closed down. On a friend's suggestion, he took up wrestling. After a few months of training, he made his debut against Irish Jackie -- and lost.

He was Lord Littlebrook right from the start. It was a promoter's idea, stemming, Littlebrook guesses, from the American perception that all Englishmen are nobles.
More

Wikipedia

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #566 on: September 10, 2016, 04:30:43 pm »

She looks like one heck of a great lady. My deepest sympathies.
The Republic is lost.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #567 on: September 10, 2016, 04:33:51 pm »

I'm sorry for your loss, @Cripplecreek .  Losing your Mom is tough........ even when you're a "grown-up."

I'll be praying for you and your family.  May God comfort you..
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #568 on: September 10, 2016, 10:02:56 pm »
Woman in iconic WWII Times Square kiss photograph dies at 92

NEW YORK (AP) — The woman kissed by an ecstatic sailor in Times Square celebrating the end of World War II
has died.

Greta Zimmer Friedman’s son says his mother died Thursday at a Richmond, Virginia, hospital of what he called
complications from old age. She was 92.

Friedman was a 21-year-old dental assistant in a nurse’s uniform on Aug. 14, 1945. She went to Times Square amid
reports that the war had ended. That’s when she was kissed by George Mendonsa celebrating Japan’s surrender.

Life magazine photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt captured the moment. It became one of the most famous photographs
of the 20th century.

Joshua Friedman says his mother recalled it all happening in an instant.

She will be buried in Arlington National Cemetery, next to her late husband, Dr. Misha Friedman.

RIP Ms. Friedman.

(The kiss apparently happened because George Mendonsa---on a date with the woman who became his wife---
saw Ms. Friedman in Times Square and was overcome by his feelings about having seen what the military
nurses had done for the men in uniform while he was deployed in the Pacific. Since she wore a nurses'
uniform he had no idea she was really a dental assistant, apparently!)

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:03:54 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #569 on: September 10, 2016, 10:08:59 pm »
Oh, wow!  The most famous woman ever made famous just because she was kissed!

RIP, Greta!

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #570 on: September 10, 2016, 10:13:33 pm »
Oh, wow!  The most famous woman ever made famous just because she was kissed!

RIP, Greta!

Far as I can tell, George Mendonsa---arguably the most famous man ever made famous just
because he kissed someone---is still alive, well, and married to the gal he was with when the
kiss just happened spontaneously.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #571 on: September 10, 2016, 10:55:37 pm »
Far as I can tell, George Mendonsa---arguably the most famous man ever made famous just
because he kissed someone---is still alive, well, and married to the gal he was with when the
kiss just happened spontaneously.

Didn't know that!  You are a veritable font of information, EasyAce!   :beer:

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #572 on: September 11, 2016, 11:26:53 pm »
'Crazy Eddie,' electronics chain kingpin with 'insaaane' prices, dead at 68

He was known as Crazy Eddie.

Eddie Antar, the electronics kingpin who once presided over a retail empire spanning four states, died Saturday, according to a family member. Antar's company was known for its  frenetic television advertising of a seemingly crazed pitchman—before it all collapsed like a house of cards in a multi-million-dollar securities fraud.

He was 68. Funeral services are scheduled today in New Jersey.

Antar, who first went into business with his father out of a storefront on Kings Highway in Brooklyn, turned Crazy Eddie into the largest electronics chain in the New York metropolitan area.
More

Wikipedia

Offline verga

« Reply #573 on: September 14, 2016, 04:39:42 pm »

Our condolences.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #574 on: September 15, 2016, 02:50:29 pm »

@Cripplecreek

Please accept my deepest condolences. Even if you live to be 100, losing your parents is painful beyond description. My heart hurts for you.

Lovely lady, BTW.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.