Author Topic: Obituaries for 2016  (Read 143461 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Obituaries for 2016
« Reply #525 on: September 06, 2016, 12:03:55 am »
Sympathies to the family.  I didn't know she was ailing.
What, her Trump endorsement wasn't a huge honking hint?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #526 on: September 06, 2016, 12:15:37 am »
I won't say what I think about any of that until at least after the funeral.  I hear you though.
Just to be clear, I don't mean to speak ill of her—the left-wingers and the alphabet soup lobbyists are certainly doing that enough. She challenged the feminist view of how a woman was supposed to think, and for that she deserves a tremendous amount of respect.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #527 on: September 06, 2016, 12:20:44 am »
Variety reports:
Hugh O’Brian, Star of TV’s ‘The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp,’ Dies at 91
Carmel Dagan
Staff Writer
September 5, 2016 | 11:18AM PT

Hugh O’Brian, who starred in the long-running series “The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp,” died Monday. He was 91.

The actor died peacefully in his Beverly Hills home, according to a statement from Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership.

ABC Western “The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp,” in which the exceedingly handsome, muscular O’Brian starred as the title character, ran for 221 episodes from 1955-61. At the time he was one of television’s great male sex symbols.

In 1957 he was nominated for an Emmy for best continuing performance by an actor in a dramatic series for his work on “The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp.”

So popular and so much a part of popular culture was O’Brian that he showed up as Earp, uncredited, in the 1959 Bob Hope Western comedy “Alias Jesse James,” as well as in the 1960 TV movie “The Secret World of Eddie Hodges”; when the actor guested on “Make Room for Daddy” in 1956, the episode was entitled “Wyatt Earp Visits the Williamses.”

The actor had appeared in many feature Westerns by the time ABC cast him in its series as Wyatt Earp, a lawman who was one of the legends of the Old West.

Later he appeared in features including the 1963 comedy “Come Fly With Me”; in 1965, he starred in the feature “Agatha Christie’s Ten Little Indians” along with Shirley Eaton and Fabian and had an uncredited role in Otto Preminger’s World War II drama “In Harm’s Way,” starring John Wayne, Patricia Neal and Kirk Douglas.

In 1972-73 he starred with Doug McClure, Anthony Franciosa and Burgess Meredith in the NBC series “Search.”

O’Brian had a small role in John Wayne’s last film, Don Siegel’s “The Shootist” (1976), as the last character ever killed by Wayne on screen — O’Brian, a good friend of Wayne’s, considered it a great honor.

The actor reprised the role of Wyatt Earp for two episodes of the CBS series “Guns of Paradise” in 1989, and in the TV movies “The Gambler Returns: The Luck of the Draw” (1991), starring Kenny Rogers, and CBS’ “Wyatt Earp: Return to Tombstone” (1994).

O’Brian did plenty of work outside the Western genre, appearing in the Arnold Schwarzenegger-Danny DeVito comedy “Twins” (1988) as one of several men who donated DNA that produced the “twins” and guesting on “Charlie’s Angels,” “Fantasy Island,” “Murder, She Wrote” and “L.A. Law.” He appeared in an Animal Planet adaptation of Jack London’s “Call of the Wild” in 2000.

Hugh Charles Krampe was born in Rochester, New York. Hugh lettered in a variety of sports.

He spent a semester at the University of Cincinnati but during World War II he dropped out to enlist in the Marine Corps — where his father had been an officer. At 17 he became the youngest Marine drill instructor, according to the TCM website.   ...

O’Brian dedicated a great deal of his life to a charitable effort he created himself in 1958, the Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership Foundation, a nonprofit youth leadership development program for high schoolers. The organization sponsors 10,000 high school sophomores annually through leadership programs in all 50 states and 20 countries.

The concept for the program was inspired by the nine days O’Brian spent visiting with humanitarian Dr. Albert Schweitzer in Africa in 1958.  ...
More at link.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #528 on: September 06, 2016, 12:28:59 am »
Sympathies to the family.  I didn't know she was ailing.
Maybe she wasn't ailing, maybe at 92 she was just plum wore out.

Offline flowers

« Reply #529 on: September 06, 2016, 12:48:14 am »
Conservative Icon.......................................

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #530 on: September 06, 2016, 12:49:01 am »
True. 

My grandmother is 99.  She's amazing.  So I guess I figure 92 is still pretty young.  She seemed to be in great physical shape.

My mom was only 68. Her mother (my grandmother) who passed away in January was 92

Offline Applewood

« Reply #531 on: September 06, 2016, 01:03:23 am »
Rest in peace, Hugh O'Brian.  I remember the Wyatt Earp series well from childhood.  Good actor.   The Shootist is my favorite John Wayne movie.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #532 on: September 06, 2016, 01:08:50 am »
Sad news. I got a chance to meet him in High School. His youth leadership development program was top notch (HOBY alumni 1991)

Hugh O’Brian, who rose to fame on television as the quick-drawing Wyatt Earp in the 1950s — but who later devoted extensive time to a foundation he created that trains young people to be leaders — died on Monday at his home in Beverly Hills, Calif. He was 91.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/06/arts/television/hugh-obrian-dies-dashing-tv-star-of-wyatt-earp-was-91.html?ribbon-ad-idx=5&rref=obituaries

Offline musiclady

« Reply #533 on: September 06, 2016, 01:28:23 am »
She did some great things with her life but unfortunately her support for Trump in this election is all that will be remembered.

I'll forget it and remember the good stuff.....
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #534 on: September 06, 2016, 01:29:09 am »
Rest in peace, Hugh O'Brian.  I remember the Wyatt Earp series well from childhood.  Good actor.   The Shootist is my favorite John Wayne movie.

I can still sing the Wyatt Earp theme song.   Good show.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #535 on: September 06, 2016, 01:34:56 am »
I just ate the last meal my mom ever cooked.

It was horrible.

Mom was not a cook.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #536 on: September 06, 2016, 01:36:24 am »
True. 

My grandmother is 99.  She's amazing.  So I guess I figure 92 is still pretty young.  She seemed to be in great physical shape.
We are all different, my mom is 85 and she is wore out from pain all day every day. She says she's not looking for the end but is ready whenever God is.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #537 on: September 06, 2016, 01:41:47 am »
Are you a voice teacher, piano, something else....what?  If I asked you before, forgive me.  I don't remember.

That, and more...... adjunct prof/ music appreciation / music education / piano, voice...... stuff like that.  I've taught pre-K through 12, high school choirs, church choirs, private piano and voice.

Jack of all trades, you might say.   ^-^

But my strong suit is remembering old songs.  I can name that tune in 3 notes......

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #538 on: September 06, 2016, 01:45:38 am »
LOL!  I come from a whole family of bad cooks.  There are a couple of so-so cooks in there.  They think they are marvelous, but it is really just the contrast that makes them seem good.  You go to family gatherings for the company, not the food.

My grandmother was a terrible cook too. For cooking you had to go to my great grandmother. My sister and my niece are good cooks though. I've been told that I'm an OK cook.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #539 on: September 06, 2016, 01:47:52 am »
Wow.  That is very cool.

I enjoy my life!  ^-^

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #540 on: September 06, 2016, 01:48:46 am »
Sixty-eight is young these days.  But you said it was unexpected.  I guess God has his own timing.  My husband died at 54.   8888crybaby  I am now just older than he was.   8888crybaby  It makes me think about it more.  I know he is in good hands though.  His grandmother lived to be 102 and his mother was I think 90 or 92.  His dad 75.  He has a brother in his 70s.  My husband took very good care of himself, better than they did, yet he's the one who died young.   My mother was 74 and she abused her body her whole adult life.  You never know.

My mom was a teen mother who was only 16 years older than me so my family is all over me to break my habit of not seeing doctors like my mom.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #541 on: September 06, 2016, 01:54:06 am »
I always like music people.  Yet I'm not musical at all.  Go figure.  It's a personality thing I guess.

Music reaches the whole of your being.  You don't have to be "musical" to be enriched by it.

That's why I teach it.  Sort of like a music missionary.....   :0006:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #542 on: September 06, 2016, 02:00:47 am »
I just ate the last meal my mom ever cooked.

It was horrible.

Mom was not a cook.

Belated condolences on your mother's passing.

I have the opposite situation.  Mom and her mother were wonderful cooks.  Two Italians. Plus because Mom married an Austrian, she could cook German too.  Actually, Mom wasn't afraid to try any cuisine and she was usually successful. 

I on the other hand am a terrible cook.  I make a good salad though.       :)

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #543 on: September 06, 2016, 02:02:17 am »
Yeah.  We have a lot in common.  We are also not big doctor seeking people in my family.  Of course my sister and my husband paid a price for that.  But I don't know.  When my time is up then it is up.  I'm not going to waste time fretting over it.  Last time I went to the doctor other than eye doctor was 30 years ago.  I feel fine.  If I'm not fine then I'll know soon enough.

Anyone over 50 who doesn't get a colonoscopy every ten years is crazy.  Colon cancer is so easily preventable.  Hell, there's even a "virtual" colonoscopy now, so you don't have to drink the nasty prep the night before.  But even the real colonoscopy is so easy and gives you a great deal of peace of mind. 

Like a mammogram for women.

And, if you have colon cancer in the family, every 5 years. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline hiram1950

« Reply #544 on: September 06, 2016, 02:30:32 am »
I guess we are all headed there. Nevertheless, she was one of the conservative giants of the 20th Century. She is both mourned and missed.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #545 on: September 06, 2016, 02:31:24 am »

WYATT EARP THEME SONG:

CHORUS:

Wyatt Earp, Wyatt Earp,
Brave courageous and bold.
Long live his fame and long life his glory
and long may his story be told.

Full Version:

I'll tell you a story a real true life story
A tale of the Western frontier.
The West, it was lawless,
but one man was flawless
and his is the story you'll hear.

[Chorus:]
Wyatt Earp, Wyatt Earp,
Brave courageous and bold.
Long live his fame and long life his glory
and long may his story be told.

When he came to Kansas, to settle in Kansas,
He dreamed of a peaceable life,
Some goods and some chattel,
A few head of cattle,
A home and a sweet, loving wife.

(Chorus)

Now he wasn't partial to being a marshall,
but fate went and dealt him his hand,
While outlaws were looting, and killing and shooting,
he knew that he must take a stand.

(Chorus)

Well he cleaned up the country
The old wild west country
He made law and order prevail.
And none can deny it
The legend of Wyatt
Forever will live on the trail.

(Chorus)

Offline mrclose

« Reply #546 on: September 06, 2016, 04:30:31 am »
Another childhood hero has passed. :(

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Hugh O'Brian, who shot to fame as Sheriff Wyatt Earp in what was hailed as television's first adult Western, has died. He was 91.

A representative from HOBY, a philanthropic organization O'Brian founded, says he died at home Monday morning in Beverly Hills.

Until "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp" debuted in September 1955, most TV Westerns - "The Lone Ranger," ''Hopalong Cassidy," the singing cowboys' series - were aimed at adolescent boys.

"Wyatt Earp," on the other hand, was based on a real-life Western hero, and some of its stories were authentic. (The real Earp, who lived from 1848 to 1929, is most famous for his participation in the 1881 "Shootout at the O.K. Corral" in Tombstone, Arizona.)

Critics quickly praised it, and it made O'Brian a star.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBIT_HUGH_OBRIAN?SITE=MYPSP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-09-05-16-51-46
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #547 on: September 06, 2016, 05:57:40 am »

O'Brien served in the Marine Corps, serving as a Drill Instructors at age 17. He was a Republican.

They just don't make very many like that, anymore. (my father enlisted in the Marine Corps, earned a Purple Heart for a serious injury on Okinawa)

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #548 on: September 06, 2016, 06:13:05 am »
Another childhood hero has passed. :(

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBIT_HUGH_OBRIAN?SITE=MYPSP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-09-05-16-51-46
They still run "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp" on Cozi TV, anyone remember "Search"? Is it wrong that the channels I prefer all play programs from the 50's, 60's? But then in those programs men were MEN, and women were WOMEN and never a transgender word was heard, the values were strong, the morals were clear and queer meant something odd (okay so too many of us it still does) families consisted of one dad that lived in the home, one mom and reasonably normal children. A time when comedians could make you laugh without being filthy except in an adult venue.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #549 on: September 06, 2016, 07:50:37 am »
They still run "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp" on Cozi TV, anyone remember "Search"? Is it wrong that the channels I prefer all play programs from the 50's, 60's? But then in those programs men were MEN, and women were WOMEN and never a transgender word was heard, the values were strong, the morals were clear and queer meant something odd (okay so too many of us it still does) families consisted of one dad that lived in the home, one mom and reasonably normal children. A time when comedians could make you laugh without being filthy except in an adult venue.

A GREAT post ... well worth repeating! :patriot:
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self