Author Topic: What colleges would fit me?  (Read 933 times)

PaleoConPrep

What colleges would fit me?
« on: December 30, 2015, 09:44:21 pm »
Here's what I'm looking for in a college.
1. Small- 3000 students or less
2. Small Classes- Around 15 students per class.
3. PREPPY- I'm looking for a PREPPY, WASPY college. One with mostly upper middle class/rich students who wear polos with popped collars.
4. Conservative- I'm a staunch Paleoconservative( think Pat Buchanan) I'd prefer a conservative college, but moderate is fine.
5. Strong Academics- My goal is to be either a lawyer or a banker, and ultimately run for Congress. I want a school with strong programs in Politics and Economics. A school that gets people into top law schools and Wall Street banks is preferable.
6. Campus- I want a suburban or rural campus. NO urban/city schools.
7. Location- I am looking at schools in the South, Mid-Atlantic, and New England. NO West Coast schools.
That's what I'm looking for. Any suggestions? So far, here are the schools I'll be applying to
1. Patrick Henry College( visited)
2. Hillsdale College
3. Hampden-Sydney College( visited)
4. Trinity College(CT)
5. New St. Andrews College
If any of you guys know anything about these schools, please let me know. Is Trinity still preppy? I really want some more New England suggestions. The big issue with a lot of schools in the Northeast( and most colleges today) is that they are addicted to affirmative action. All the schools that used to be preppy are losing that feel. I wish there were a preppy, conservative, all-male college in New England. That would be awesome.
Thanks!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: What colleges would fit me?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 10:07:42 pm »
I would consider your major first as that could change/narrow down your list or choices quickly. There are a lot of private universities that fit your description, especially religious based universities, however, the availability of specific majors will make the difference.  Of course, your own budget will also be a factor as what you are describing generally are pricier schools.

HonestJohn

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 10:23:53 pm »
The purpose of a college degree is to obtain the best skills needed for whatever career you wish to pursue.  It's also to cover yourself with the reputation of that college/university so that your resume can stand out from all the rest.

You should think about what you want to do for the rest of your life.  Then find the college/universities that are most renowned for that learning.  Figure out how much you/your family can afford...

...and then go to whichever one meets that criteria.

All the rest is fluff.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 10:28:56 pm »
Take a look at Messiah College in Pennsylvania.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 10:45:08 pm »
Agree with the others that say "course first."

Then - for the fields you are interested in - look at alum listings and frats. Both the fields you are looking at are VERY much "Who you know" as well as "What you know" so it makes sense to start the networking right now.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink