Author Topic: Bill Cosby charged with sexual assault  (Read 1507 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Bill Cosby charged with sexual assault
« on: December 30, 2015, 06:52:19 pm »

AP, NORRISTOWN, Pa. 12-30-2015

Bill Cosby was charged Wednesday with sexually assaulting a woman at his home 12 years ago — the first criminal charges brought against the comedian out of the torrent of allegations that destroyed his good-guy image as America's Dad.

The case sets the stage for perhaps the biggest Hollywood celebrity trial of the mobile-all-the-time era and could send the 78-year-old Cosby to prison in the twilight of his life and barrier-breaking career.

In bringing the case, Montgomery County District Attorney Risa Vetri Ferman overruled her predecessor, who declined to charge Cosby in 2005 when Temple University employee Andrea Constand first told police that the comic drugged her and violated her by putting his hands down her pants at his mansion in suburban Philadelphia.

Cosby was charged with aggravated indecent assault and was to be arraigned in the afternoon.

The TV star acknowledged under oath a decade ago that he had sexual contact with Constand but said it was consensual.

The charges were announced just days before the 12-year statute of limitations for bringing charges was set to run out.

Prosecutors reopened the case over the summer as damaging testimony was unsealed in Constand's related civil lawsuit against Cosby and as dozens of other women came forward with similar accusations that made a mockery of his image as the wise and understanding Dr. Cliff Huxtable from TV's "The Cosby Show."

Many of those alleged assaults date back decades, and the statute of limitations for bringing charges has expired in nearly every case.

Constand, who is now 42 and works as a massage therapist in her native Canada, is ready to face Cosby in court, her attorney, Dolores Troiani, said this fall.

"She's a very strong lady," Troiani said. "She'll do whatever they request of her."

The charges add to the towering list of legal problems facing the actor, including defamation and sex-abuse lawsuits filed in Boston, Los Angeles and Pennsylvania.

Cosby in 1965 became the first black actor to land a leading role in a network drama, "I Spy," and he went on to earn three straight Emmys. Over the next three decades, the Philadelphia-born comic created TV's animated "Fat Albert" and the top-rated "Cosby Show," the 1980s sitcom celebrated as groundbreaking television for its depiction of a warm and loving family headed by two black professionals — one a lawyer, the other a doctor.

He was a fatherly figure off camera as well, serving as a public moralist and public scold, urging young people to pull up their saggy pants and start acting responsibly.

Constand, who worked for the women's basketball team at Temple, where Cosby was a trustee and proud alumnus, said she was assaulted after going to his home in January 2004 for some career advice.

Then-District Attorney Bruce Castor declined to charge Cosby, saying at the time that both the TV star and his accuser could be portrayed in "a less than flattering light." This year, Castor said the allegations in Constand's lawsuit were more serious than the account she gave police, and if that information had been known at the time, "we might have been able to make a case."

Castor tried to make a comeback as district attorney in the November election but lost to Ferman's top deputy.

After the criminal case went nowhere, Constand settled her lawsuit against Cosby in 2006 on confidential terms.

Her allegations and similar ones from other women in the years that followed did not receive wide attention but exploded into view in late 2014, first online, then in the wider media, after comedian Hannibal Buress mocked Cosby as a hypocrite and called him a rapist during a standup routine. That opened the floodgates on even more allegations.

Women mostly from the world of modeling, acting or other entertainment fields came forward and described being offered a drink by Cosby and waking up to find they had apparently been sexually assaulted. Cosby, through his representatives, accused some of the women of trying to extract money from him or get ahead in show business.

Earlier this year, The Associated Press persuaded a judge to unseal documents from the Constand lawsuit, and they showed the long-married Cosby acknowledging a string of affairs and sexual encounters.

Cosby testified that he obtained quaaludes in the 1970s to give to women he wanted to have sex with. He denied giving women drugs without their knowledge and said he had used the now-banned sedative "the same as a person would say, 'Have a drink.'"

In the deposition, Cosby said he put his hands down Constand's pants that night and fondled her, taking her silence as a green light. Constand maintains she was semi-conscious after he gave her pills he said would relax her.

"I don't hear her say anything. And I don't feel her say anything. And so I continue and I go into the area that is somewhere between permission and rejection. I am not stopped," Cosby testified.

He said Constand was not upset when she left that night. She went to police a year later.

Her lawyer has said Constand is gay and was dating a woman around the time she met Cosby in the early 2000s.

The AP generally does not identify people who say they have been sexually assaulted unless they agree to have their names published, as Constand has done.

Laurie Levenson, a criminal law professor at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles, said Cosby no longer enjoys the celebrity appeal that might sway a jury.

"His reputation has already been tarnished, so I doubt that jurors would be inclined to believe him just because of his prior image," she said in September. She said the judge in the case will have to decide whether to allow other accusers to testify or whether that would be too prejudicial.

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/Law-Enforcement/2015/12/30/Bill-Cosby-charged-with-sexual-assault
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

Re: Bill Cosby charged with sexual assault
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 07:02:28 pm »
This story continues to bring sorrow.  Cosby was an icon. And now he is no more than a perverted criminal.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 07:27:58 pm »
This story continues to bring sorrow.  Cosby was an icon. And now he is no more than a perverted criminal.
He is 78. He will likely spend his remaining days, and a lot of his money, defending himself over these crimes.

It used to be that a guy would have to worry about brothers, father and friends of a woman he mistreated.

In general across our society, I am surprised there is not more "taking care of business" so to speak.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 07:46:08 pm »
He is 78. He will likely spend his remaining days, and a lot of his money, defending himself over these crimes.

It used to be that a guy would have to worry about brothers, father and friends of a woman he mistreated.

In general across our society, I am surprised there is not more "taking care of business" so to speak.

Families don't take care of each other like they used to.

It's a sorry sign of the "progress" we've made in the last few decades.....

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 08:03:24 pm »
Interesting all these women came out now. Not 10 years ago or at any other time just now.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 08:10:41 pm »
Interesting all these women came out now. Not 10 years ago or at any other time just now.

I've not really been following this...so why is it interesting?

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 08:46:05 pm »
I've not really been following this...so why is it interesting?
Why haven't they come out before? I know Gloria Alred (lawyer out of L.A) is heading this now, yet why haven't many of them complained before?

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 08:48:22 pm »
Why haven't they come out before? I know Gloria Alred (lawyer out of L.A) is heading this now, yet why haven't many of them complained before? 

Don't know.  Does it matter?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 08:57:42 pm »

Fear. Cosby is still pretty powerful, 10-15 years ago he was untouchable.

The climate has changed, a little now at least, and allegations of rape are not met with "Yeah right" or "She was asking for it" quite as often.

Some did complain years ago - they were ignored, shushed, or in at least one case, paid off to make the scandal go away.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 08:58:40 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 08:58:42 pm »
Don't know.  Does it matter?
In the grand scheme of things.....not really.  :laugh:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 09:15:59 pm »
Fear. Cosby is still pretty powerful, 10-15 years ago he was untouchable.

The climate has changed, a little now at least, and allegations of rape are not met with "Yeah right" or "She was asking for it" quite as often.

Some did complain years ago - they were ignored, shushed, or in at least one case, paid off to make the scandal go away.

Good points.

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 09:17:45 pm »
In the grand scheme of things.....not really.  :laugh:

LOL!   :beer:

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 09:51:13 pm »
I am just saddened by this.  Even if he is guilty, especially if he is guilty, I hate what this does to the culture of the country.  Here in Pennsylvania, there were two men who were golden in the eyes of the public: Joe Peterno and Bill Cosby.  Now both will have been brought down as very old men.  Had they died a little younger their legacies would have stayed intact.

Offline flowers

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 09:56:36 pm »
I am just saddened by this.  Even if he is guilty, especially if he is guilty, I hate what this does to the culture of the country.  Here in Pennsylvania, there were two men who were golden in the eyes of the public: Joe Peterno and Bill Cosby.  Now both will have been brought down as very old men.  Had they died a little younger their legacies would have stayed intact.
yes.....part of the plan.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 10:09:50 pm »

Are you saying their offenses are better off being overlooked, buried? Paterno and Cosby are different cases.

I say Paterno died before all the facts were revealed. Had they been revealed, I believe he would have been guilty of willful negligence. But he committed no overt act himself.

Cosby is another case, for he committed wilful acts. I can see no way that his old age mitigates his acts, or argues against a full fact finding.

Clearly to me, Cosby developed an MO that worked: drug them, rape them, and wait to see if they make anything of it. If they do make something, deny, deny, lawyer up, pay if necessary.

Sex with a person without their consent is rape. A person cannot grant consent, if drugged beyond memory.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 10:24:03 pm »
Are you saying their offenses are better off being overlooked, buried? Paterno and Cosby are different cases.

I say Paterno died before all the facts were revealed. Had they been revealed, I believe he would have been guilty of willful negligence. But he committed no overt act himself.

Cosby is another case, for he committed wilful acts. I can see no way that his old age mitigates his acts, or argues against a full fact finding.

Clearly to me, Cosby developed an MO that worked: drug them, rape them, and wait to see if they make anything of it. If they do make something, deny, deny, lawyer up, pay if necessary.

Sex with a person without their consent is rape. A person cannot grant consent, if drugged beyond memory.

No.  What I object to is selective enforcement.  Was Bill Clinton ever prosecuted?  Will Hillary be prosecuted for breaching classified information, a far more serious allegation than the charge against Cosby?   How about Obama?  Will he ever be prosecuted for abuse of presidential authority?

We have arrived at a point in time in which those who are symbols of self-reliance are deemed to be a threat, whereas those who are symbols of the caretaker state skate free.

If the law is the law then it ought to be applied to everyone equally. 

So if Cosby is guilty then by all means let us have his head on a platter.  But I would feel a hell of a lot better if EVERYONE who broke the law was prosecuted, including illegals and powerful politicians.  Otherwise the law is nothing more than an instrument for propaganda.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 10:25:15 pm by massadvj »

Offline flowers

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 10:30:01 pm »
Otherwise the law is nothing more than an instrument for propaganda.
That is the way we are heading. At warp speed.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2015, 12:23:03 am »
That is the way we are heading. At warp speed.

I wonder if the prosecutor would have prosecuted a non-famous 78 year old on a 12 year old case? 

Offline aligncare

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 12:45:40 am »
I wonder if the prosecutor would have prosecuted a non-famous 78 year old on a 12 year old case?

No. Legal careers are made on this type of high-profile prosecution.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 02:24:01 pm »
No. Legal careers are made on this type of high-profile prosecution.
Notice that it was Gloria Allred they used on all the news yesterday and she doesn't even represent the victim.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 02:33:24 pm »

While William Jefferson Clinton is still free!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2016, 03:13:21 pm »
New York Post:
Mia Farrow has gone so far as to compare her ex Woody Allen to Bill Cosby.

Farrow and Allen’s son, Ronan Farrow, tweeted of Cosby appearing in a Pennsylvania criminal court this week, “So happy to live in a society where all it takes to get the legal system moving against powerful men is testimony from more than 50 women.”

Mia tweeted, “What’s this about Bill Cosby and Woody Allen?”

She has accused Allen of sexual abuse against an adopted daughter. He’s denied it and was never charged.

In other Cosby-related news:
The former Temple University employee whose sex-abuse accusations led to Bill Cosby’s arrest on Wednesday settled right into a ritzy Toronto condo after coming to terms with the comedian over her 2005 lawsuit against him, The Post has learned.

Andrea Constand, 42, who told authorities Cosby drugged and sexually assaulted her in his Pennsylvania home nearly 12 years ago, got enough money from the funnyman to score a posh apartment in Toronto’s Candy Factory Lofts.

“She bought this place with the settlement money,” a neighbor said of the deal, which included a nondisclosure agreement. Constand moved into the building about 10 years ago. “She told me about it, that she was the only one to get a settlement because she had evidence.”

Pennsylvania prosecutors reopened Constand’s case against Cosby over the summer, and the entertainer once revered as “America’s favorite dad” was charged Wednesday with aggravated indecent assault for the 2004 incident.  ...
Full story

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2016, 03:43:08 pm »

I think a number of them did.

I find it problematic that this particular woman willing took drinks and pills from Cosby and then appears to have been dismayed that they had an effect.  It may not have been the best case to go forward with first.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2016, 04:17:12 pm »
When under influence of powerful sedative drug, an individual can NOT give consent. (Just like a minor can NOT give consent)

That is true, if they are slipped the drug without their knowledge, or if they take it willingly.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2016, 04:50:07 pm »
While William Jefferson Clinton is still free!

He's the white Bill Cosby.

How's that war on women Hillary...I have a defense suggestion for Cosby, come out forcefully in favor of abortion, free birth control, mandatory 1 year full pay maternity leave, free health care and college tuition for women. Then you can do anything you want!
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan