Author Topic: High school basketball players charged with raping teammate (Tennessee)  (Read 1615 times)

Offline mountaineer

High school basketball players charged with raping teammate
Associated Press via NY Post
Dec. 29, 2015
Three high school basketball players in Tennessee have been charged with raping and assaulting a teammate in an apparent hazing incident, officials said.

Gatlinburg Police said in a statement that the players were charged Monday in the incident, which occurred last week at a rental cabin.

The statement said staff at LeConte Medical Center called officers Dec. 23 after a young man who had been assaulted was brought there by his basketball coach.

The victim was sent to University of Tennessee Medical Center in Knoxville, where he underwent surgery due to his extensive injuries, the statement said.

Police say the boy was in Gatlinburg for a tournament with teammates from Ooltewah High School in Hamilton County.

Ooltewah High School Athletic Director Jesse Nayadley told the Chattanooga Times Free Press that the three older players involved in the apparent hazing incident have been dismissed from the team.

“We can’t give names because they’re under 18 years of age, and since we’re out of school for the holidays we haven’t met yet to determine how they will be punished at school. But as far as athletically, those three young men are no longer a part of the Ooltewah basketball team,” he said.

Police said the teammates have been charged as juveniles. Their names weren’t released.
Good Lord.  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Re: High school basketball players charged with raping teammate (Tennessee)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 01:00:40 pm »
3 Ooltewah High Basketball Players Charged With Aggravated Rape, Assault in Hazing Incident Of Teammate
Tuesday, December 29, 2015
Chattanoogan
Three Ooltewah High School basketball team members have been charged with aggravated rape and assault in the hazing of a 15-year-old freshman teammate.

The three are juveniles and are being held in a juvenile facility in Gatlinburg, where the alleged incident took place.

Ooltewah High has kicked the three boys off the basketball team.

The team was playing in a tournament in Gatlinburg, and the boys were staying at a rental cabin.

A family member said the 15-year-old "was tortured by three of his teammates." She said he initially was taken to LeConte Medical Center in Sevierville  by his coach, Andre Montgomery.  However, he was treated and released.

The family member said, "He was not given a proper exam and collapsed the following day.  Once he collapsed, he was taken by ambulance to the University of Tennessee Medical Center in Knoxville.  He had to undergo emergency surgery, as his colon and bladder were ruptured.  He is still in the hospital recovering at this time."

The family member said it was initially unclear as to how he sustained such injuries.  However, she said "it was later found that he was beaten and sodomized by fellow teammates." She said they used a wooden pool stick to sodomize him.

She said he "is expected to recover within 2-3 months.  However, he is having nightmares.  He has stated that he thought that he was going to die as a result of the assault.  In addition, once he is finally discharged he has to wear a catheter and colostomy bag for at least two weeks or longer."

She said the victim's mother "is a single parent.  She has been working on her job for less than a year.  Therefore, she is on an unpaid leave."

The family member said the oldest boy charged is 17.
Animals.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 08:56:29 pm »
UPDATE: Ooltewah basketball players charged in rape case won't return to school
Posted: Dec 25, 2015 8:28 AM EST
Updated: Dec 31, 2015 2:36 PM EST
By David Carroll, Anchor
WRCB
UPDATE: Three juveniles who are facing aggravated rape and aggravated assault charges will not be returning to Ooltewah High School, according to Hamilton County Superintendent Rick Smith.

The juveniles were members of the Ooltewah High School basketball team. Police say the victim is a freshman player.

The incident reportedly happened during the Smoky Mountain Classic Basketball Tournament. The three are being held in the Sevier County Juvenile Facility.

Family members tell Channel 3, the victim was treated and released from UT Medical Center in Knoxville, after an eight-day stay. Sources say two other players were also injured by teammates, although their injuries were not as severe.

The three basketball players, now dismissed from the team are accused of assaulting their teammate with a pool cue over Christmas break according to our partners at the Times Free Press. Police say the incident happened at a cabin in Gatlinburg, where the team was staying for a game. The victim needed surgery for his injuries. 

"I'm just heartbroken, I'm so sorry this happened," said Rhonda Thurman, Hamilton County School Board member. "I just don't know what to say. I'm just sorry."

Thurman is outraged, that although the accused boys were immediately kicked off the team, it is taking several days for a central office decision on punishment.

"I'm furious because the board hasn't been told the details, and what we don't know is maddening to me," said Thurman. She says the entire team should have come home from Gatlinburg immediately after the incident.

"If this is what it's come to, then we need to reconsider why we have sports in school," said Thurman. "We need to send a clear message that if there is any hazing of any kind going on in any sport, your season is terminated immediately."

Thurman wants an emergency meeting to discuss the school district's policy. Superintendent Rick Smith describes it as a "tragic situation" and says the three accused will not be back in school anytime soon. Smith says meetings and decisions will need to wait until everyone returns from break on Monday.

"I wasn't elected to guard the cat litter box, to cover up crap, that is not why I'm here," said Thurman. " I'm here to represent taxpayers and they want this dealt with swiftly. He could have died. It's a miracle he did not die."

Superintendent Smith says the charges most definitely warrant a long-term suspension. The offense does fall under the school's zero tolerance policy which could mean a full year of suspension at the very least. Meanwhile the Ooltewah team has continued to play its regular schedule, coached by Andre "Tank" Montgomery. The team has played in 3 games since the alleged assault. Their next scheduled game is at home against Hixson Monday January 4th at 7:30 p.m.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 08:58:54 pm »
Raping a kid with a pool cue is considered a 'hazing??'

This world is in such a MESS.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 09:05:00 pm »

My God.  My God.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 09:07:18 pm »
Last year's team:

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 09:08:31 pm »
I read somewhere that the perpetrators were among the, er, "majority" on the team. I don't know whether the victim was in the minority group.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 09:10:27 pm »
I read somewhere that the perpetrators were among the, er, "majority" on the team. I don't know whether the victim was in the minority group.

Do you think we'll ever know??

Do you think this might have been a hate crime?  Oh.............. can't be a hate crime if the colors aren't the right way..........  **nononono*

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 09:26:35 pm »
Do you think we'll ever know??

Do you think this might have been a hate crime?  Oh.............. can't be a hate crime if the colors aren't the right way..........  **nononono*
I figure the majority members could feel emboldened. Who's going to stop them?

Offline Puss-N-Boots

• God. Family. Seahawks!
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 09:40:44 pm »
That's not hazing.  Hazing is making him wear panties on his head and sing while standing on one foot for an hour.
The Constitution is not a suggestion.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 09:41:02 pm »
I figure the majority members could feel emboldened. Who's going to stop them?

Certainly not a PC administration, or the poor white kid in the front row.........

Offline flowers

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 10:04:12 pm »

Good gwad.....this is the next generation.   **nononono*

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 10:42:18 pm »
Negroes, again, and again, and again.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 11:16:14 pm »
Hope he sues.