Author Topic: U.S. Spy Net on Israel Snares Congress  (Read 3333 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
U.S. Spy Net on Israel Snares Congress
« on: December 30, 2015, 01:01:08 am »
I wonder if this is why many in Congress seem to give the administration a blank check. They have the threat of treason accusations hanging as a noose above their heads. I'm not saying it is treason, but an administration with a willing media could easily turn it this way and become the biggest scandal since the Pentagon Papers.

National Security Agency’s targeting of Israeli leaders also swept up the content of private conversations with U.S. lawmakers

President Barack Obama announced two years ago he would curtail eavesdropping on friendly heads of state after the world learned the reach of long-secret U.S. surveillance programs.

But behind the scenes, the White House decided to keep certain allies under close watch, current and former U.S. officials said. Topping the list was Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

The U.S., pursuing a nuclear arms agreement with Iran at the time, captured communications between Mr. Netanyahu and his aides that inflamed mistrust between the two countries and planted a political minefield at home when Mr. Netanyahu later took his campaign against the deal to Capitol Hill....

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-spy-net-on-israel-snares-congress-1451425210

Offline mountaineer

Re: U.S. Spy Net on Israel Snares Congress
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 12:35:14 pm »
Mark Knoller of CBS News tweets:
Mark Knoller ‏@markknoller 12h12 hours ago

WH/NSC neither confirms nor denies @wsj report of NSA eavesdropping on PM Netanyahu and other allied leaders over last 2 years.
We'll take that as a "yes, we did it" from Obammy.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 02:01:11 pm »
http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-spy-net-on-israel-snares-congress-1451425210

National Security Agency’s targeting of Israeli leaders also swept up the content of private conversations with U.S. lawmakers

By Adam Entous and
Danny Yadron
Dec. 29, 2015 4:40 p.m. ET

President Barack Obama announced two years ago he would curtail eavesdropping on friendly heads of state after the world learned the reach of long-secret U.S. surveillance programs.

But behind the scenes, the White House decided to keep certain allies under close watch, current and former U.S. officials said. Topping the list was Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

The U.S., pursuing a nuclear arms agreement with Iran at the time, captured communications between Mr. Netanyahu and his aides that inflamed mistrust between the two countries and planted a political minefield at home when Mr. Netanyahu later took his campaign against the deal to Capitol Hill.

The National Security Agency’s targeting of Israeli leaders and officials also swept up the contents of some of their private conversations with U.S. lawmakers and American-Jewish groups. That raised fears—an “Oh-s— moment,” one senior U.S. official said—that the executive branch would be accused of spying on Congress.

White House officials believed the intercepted information could be valuable to counter Mr. Netanyahu’s campaign. They also recognized that asking for it was politically risky. So, wary of a paper trail stemming from a request, the White House let the NSA decide what to share and what to withhold, officials said. “We didn’t say, ‘Do it,’ ” a senior U.S. official said. “We didn’t say, ‘Don’t do it.’ ”

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 07:57:55 pm »
I am telling ya before he leaves he will order some kind of attack against Israel or to shoot down one of its jets.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 08:07:06 pm »
The target of the spying was Netanyahu and his aides, not Congress.  And that's no surprise, even to the Israelis.  The rare honest quid-pro-quo between the US and Israel has always been spying.

According to all reports, the Congressional names were redacted prior to turning over the report along with "trash talking" about the administration during the conversations.  But there is a part of me that wants more information on the conversations involving elected members of the US Congress.  But then again there's the side of me that rejects this course of action.    :shrug:

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 08:11:47 pm »
I am telling ya before he leaves he will order some kind of attack against Israel or to shoot down one of its jets.

Why?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 08:13:15 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 08:27:27 pm »
Why?
What if Israel tries to protect itself from Iran?  Team obama will order attack of some sort, it is in the Iran deal. We help them protect nuke sites. Or if Israel protects itself from attacks from Palis and kills off a bunch, team obama wouldn't hesitate. IMO. \he will show his true self the next 300 days.

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 08:44:24 pm »
What if Israel tries to protect itself from Iran?  Team obama will order attack of some sort, it is in the Iran deal. We help them protect nuke sites. Or if Israel protects itself from attacks from Palis and kills off a bunch, team obama wouldn't hesitate. IMO. \he will show his true self the next 300 days. 

I think the door has closed on such scenarios---2016 is an election year.  All that's left for Obama is to abstain from a UN vote and then spend his post-presidential years going around the world dissing Israel.

Israel can take both. 

Offline ABX

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 08:58:33 pm »
The target of the spying was Netanyahu and his aides, not Congress.  And that's no surprise, even to the Israelis.  The rare honest quid-pro-quo between the US and Israel has always been spying.

According to all reports, the Congressional names were redacted prior to turning over the report along with "trash talking" about the administration during the conversations.  But there is a part of me that wants more information on the conversations involving elected members of the US Congress.  But then again there's the side of me that rejects this course of action.    :shrug:

That does bring up another little factor though. Yes, Netanyahu is the head of state of a foreign government, but he is also a US citizen (he has dual citizenship). So this will be tantamount admission to eavesdropping on a citizen. It could be taken many different ways.

Offline ABX

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 09:00:21 pm »
House intel committee looks into eavesdropping on Congress

A House panel on Wednesday announced it is seeking information from the Obama administration on U.S. intelligence collection that may have swept up members of Congress.

The House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence’s announcement comes after a Wall Street Journal report that the U.S. collected information on private exchanges between Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and members of Congress during ongoing negotiations for a nuclear deal with Iran.

“The House Intelligence Committee is looking into allegations in the Wall Street Journal regarding possible Intelligence Community (IC) collection of communications between Israeli government officials and members of Congress,” Chairman Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) said in a statement. “The Committee has requested additional information from the IC to determine which, if any, of these allegations are true, and whether the IC followed all applicable laws, rules, and procedures.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/house-intel-probe-wsj-217228#ixzz3vq92uiKT

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 09:07:48 pm »
That does bring up another little factor though. Yes, Netanyahu is the head of state of a foreign government, but he is also a US citizen (he has dual citizenship).

I've heard this about dual-citizenship for years, yet I've not been able to find a link showing he applied for and was granted US citizenship.  If you have one, please forward.   (Everything  I can find shows Netanyahu lived in the US for years beginning in his mid-teens as an Israeli expat.)  Thanks.   

Offline flowers

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 09:12:27 pm »

I ask you and others on this thread. Who here didn't think this was going on?  Why release this now? What political gain is the admin going for here?

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 09:13:04 pm »

The last thing, IMHO, that the Israelis would want is a public Congressional investigation which would serve to further erode bipartisan support for the State of Israel.

Republicans in Congress should check with Netanyahu on how best to proceed.

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 09:15:30 pm »
I ask you and others on this thread. Who here didn't think this was going on?  Why release this now? What political gain is the admin going for here? 

Great question.  (Wish I had an answer)

Offline flowers

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 09:24:55 pm »
n which would serve to further erode bipartisan support for the State of Israel.

Well there is my answer to why now.

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 09:30:55 pm »
Well there is my answer to why now. 

Could well be I stumbled onto something.   :pondering:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 09:33:14 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline ABX

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 09:32:50 pm »

I've heard this about dual-citizenship for years, yet I've not been able to find a link showing he applied for and was granted US citizenship.  If you have one, please forward.   (Everything  I can find shows Netanyahu lived in the US for years beginning in his mid-teens as an Israeli expat.)  Thanks.

He became a US Citizen while attending MIT but he grew up here as well. It is hard to weed through the sources because of all the Israeli conspiracy ones that dominate results. Just one from the left complaining about it.
http://hpub.org/list-of-us-politicians-who-hold-israeli-citizenship-netanyahu-himself-is-a-u-s-citizen/

Opposing groups in Israel even tried to use it against him to prevent him from running in the Knesset.
http://www.wrmea.org/1996-october/spook-terrorist-or-criminal-america-s-mysterious-files-on-netanyahu.html

He even testified before Congress in 2002 under oath as a private citizen.
http://dspace.ucalgary.ca/bitstream/1880/47373/11/Treaty_List_Volume_05.pdf

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 09:33:54 pm »
Why release this now? What political gain is the admin going for here?

You know the old story, sometimes attributed to Mark Twain, sometimes to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle? They sent telegrams to some of their friends saying "All is discovered, flee at once." Every recipient left town without hesitation.

The Worm's administration has just sent a similar telegram. "Shut up, or all will be revealed." Most of the snouts in the public trough will get the message.
As to why now - you, like every other person, are making the assumption that the Worm is now a lame duck President. Hell, it's right there in the headline of a story about his travel plans today!
A person who rules by executive fiat has no lame duck period. He simply doesn't care.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline ABX

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 09:35:21 pm »

Like I mentioned above, I think the administration is trying to blackmail officials under the guise of a noose of treason hanging above their heads. They will spin it and release it as they were going behind the administration's back to undermine our treaties and laws. They did make these claims before but I think for the final year, they are about to unleash hell on Obama's opponents and destroy as many as they can to retain/give power for fellow travelers. I think this noose has been used over legislators for a while which is why they have gone along with the unthinkable.

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 09:39:51 pm »
He became a US Citizen while attending MIT but he grew up here as well. It is hard to weed through the sources because of all the Israeli conspiracy ones that dominate results. Just one from the left complaining about it.
http://hpub.org/list-of-us-politicians-who-hold-israeli-citizenship-netanyahu-himself-is-a-u-s-citizen/

Opposing groups in Israel even tried to use it against him to prevent him from running in the Knesset.
http://www.wrmea.org/1996-october/spook-terrorist-or-criminal-america-s-mysterious-files-on-netanyahu.html 

Yes, I know about this.  What I was hoping for is documentation from the US Government.

But, thanks.   :beer:

Offline flowers

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 09:47:58 pm »
you, like every other person, are making the assumption that the Worm is now a lame duck
Naw......I never have made that assumption. He will be ruthless this final year. He will take no prisoners. He will not let the WH go or this country go back to the way she was.

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2015, 09:48:19 pm »
The Worm's administration has just sent a similar telegram. "Shut up, or all will be revealed." Most of the snouts in the public trough will get the message.
As to why now - you, like every other person, are making the assumption that the Worm is now a lame duck President. Hell, it's right there in the headline of a story about his travel plans today!  A person who rules by executive fiat has no lame duck period. He simply doesn't care. 

I think it's a safe assumption that the tape recordings are more damaging to Republicans and Israel than to Obama for spying.

Offline flowers

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2015, 09:49:45 pm »
Like I mentioned above, I think the administration is trying to blackmail officials under the guise of a noose of treason hanging above their heads. They will spin it and release it as they were going behind the administration's back to undermine our treaties and laws. They did make these claims before but I think for the final year, they are about to unleash hell on Obama's opponents and destroy as many as they can to retain/give power for fellow travelers. I think this noose has been used over legislators for a while which is why they have gone along with the unthinkable.
Search, seek and destroy will be the daily theme with the regime this final year.

Offline ABX

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2015, 09:56:48 pm »
Yes, I know about this.  What I was hoping for is documentation from the US Government.

But, thanks.   :beer:

I don't think FOIA naturalization records are available that recent yet without direct consent, so it is still private info. https://foia.state.gov/Request/Guide.aspx   
It is something he doesn't talk about or advertise much, just third party mentions.