Author Topic: Trey Gowdy to Endorse, Campaign With Marco Rubio  (Read 8427 times)

Offline Relic

Re: Trey Gowdy to Endorse, Campaign With Marco Rubio
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2015, 03:19:26 am »
The other part is simply a lack of viable options. If a Congressman had to go through a yes-or-no vote on whether they keep their job, it'd be much tougher to keep their seat. But as it stands, we have to vote directly for somebody, and that other person has to be better than the option we're given. That almost never happens. So, if you're presented with two bad options, it doesn't really matter if you vote or not; an entrenched incumbent or a power-hungry nut will be going to represent "you" in Congress against your will.

With a few exceptions, conservatives, as I've pointed out before, are grossly outnumbered. Even the Freedom Caucus, which backed down from the Speaker fight but is still more conservative than most Republicans, only makes up less than 9% or so of the House of Representatives. Simply put, as good as the conservative platform is for the long-term health of the republic, the positions are ones that people don't like and are hard to sell to a populace used to free bennies and their own special pet causes.

As you point out, it's a complex situation, with very little in terms of bright spots for conservatives. The problem the GOP has is that they stand for nothing. If someone asks you what you'll get by electing Republicans, what do you tell them? I have a good friend who is very slightly center-left. He used to vote Republican when he felt the economy needed a little freedom, a little less regulation. He tries to stay informed, and he can't find a compelling reason to vote for a Republican. And I can't think of any persuasive reasons. All I can tell him is Hillary is evil, which he knows. But, like me, he doesn't trust Trump. Which takes us back to lousy choices.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2015, 03:29:24 am »
The other part is simply a lack of viable options. If a Congressman had to go through a yes-or-no vote on whether they keep their job, it'd be much tougher to keep their seat. But as it stands, we have to vote directly for somebody, and that other person has to be better than the option we're given. That almost never happens. So, if you're presented with two bad options, it doesn't really matter if you vote or not; an entrenched incumbent or a power-hungry nut will be going to represent "you" in Congress against your will.

Not exactly how I would phrase it, but an excellent point.  Our political choices are sometimes picking the lesser of 2 evils from 2 weak humans.  However sometimes people don't bother to vote because they will be satisfied with either choice.  Lots of low information non-voters wouldn't vote even if they knew the issues, because they don't see a danger in voting for either side.   In fact my vote in the general election is often more out of fear of what the rat candidate will do to me, and less what the GOP candidate will do for me.

With a few exceptions, conservatives, as I've pointed out before, are grossly outnumbered. Even the Freedom Caucus, which backed down from the Speaker fight but is still more conservative than most Republicans, only makes up less than 9% or so of the House of Representatives. Simply put, as good as the conservative platform is for the long-term health of the republic, the positions are ones that people don't like and are hard to sell to a populace used to free bennies and their own special pet causes.

Agreed.

« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2015, 03:32:51 am »
As you point out, it's a complex situation, with very little in terms of bright spots for conservatives. The problem the GOP has is that they stand for nothing. If someone asks you what you'll get by electing Republicans, what do you tell them? I have a good friend who is very slightly center-left. He used to vote Republican when he felt the economy needed a little freedom, a little less regulation. He tries to stay informed, and he can't find a compelling reason to vote for a Republican. And I can't think of any persuasive reasons. All I can tell him is Hillary is evil, which he knows. But, like me, he doesn't trust Trump. Which takes us back to lousy choices.
On the 3 issues that matter most to me, I see a substantial difference.

1 Taxes
2 A strong military
3 Abortion.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2015, 04:30:00 am »
Most of us here agree more than we disagree. The problem is, many of us see what we thought was "our side" governing as if they were the other side. So, to support those who betray us at every turn gets us almost nothing. I would grant you that the GOP won't govern like the current Marxist government, but the difference is small. When the GOP has the majority they govern as if they are the minority. It's frustrating.

I don't trust Trump, but he is the flashpoint, the lightning rod. Trump channels that frustration, for both sides, it appears.
With less than veto proof majorities in Congress, "our side" doesn't govern anything.

The agencies are headed by Obama appointees, under the Executive branch. Congressional committees are oversight, not management.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Relic

« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2015, 04:54:57 am »
With less than veto proof majorities in Congress, "our side" doesn't govern anything.

The agencies are headed by Obama appointees, under the Executive branch. Congressional committees are oversight, not management.

But the House has the power of the purse strings. Trump has shown if you take an unapologetic stand, Americans will respond to that. Even if the result isn't a win, at least fight. Make it known what it is that is unacceptable.

When Congress flipped to D during W's presidency, we were told he couldn't get things done because the Democrats held Congress.

If you show will, if you show resolve, people will respond. If you simply poor mouth that you need more power and roll over, people respond to that too... and that creates Donald Trump.

« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2015, 05:20:21 am »

Logic and rationality.  Very admirable traits to me, but somehow I doubt reality will mitigate the anger drummed up by TALKe.  "Trump Voters Are Not Just Angry - They Want Revenge" http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,189827.0.html

Revenge is a strong emotion.  It will take loss and suffering to turn that emotion into something useful.

The Trump supporters can't be reasoned with, because they don't want reason.  They know Trump's record of policy flip flops, business failure, rat contributions, and grammatically retarded speeches.  None of it matters, because today they matter.  and that doesn't happen very often.  They felt powerless in 2008 when they failed to knock out McCain, and in 2012 when they failed to knock out Romney.  Often times they only feel their power when rats win.  They thought they showed their strength in 2010 when the TP revolution happened, but that was Obama buyers remorse, and they were reminded of how impotent they were, when they failed to stop even one incumbent Senator in the 2014 primaries.

Today they have sided with skinheads and LIVs...now they feel powerful for the first time in many years.  Logic is not a tool that will work for these misguided souls.  I fear only the aftermath of a Trump Presidency or a Goldwateresque shellacking by Hitlery will bring wisdom.

That being said, I thank you for trying to inject common sense into this kooky situation.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2015, 05:30:32 am »
But the House has the power of the purse strings. Trump has shown if you take an unapologetic stand, Americans will respond to that. Even if the result isn't a win, at least fight. Make it known what it is that is unacceptable.

When Congress flipped to D during W's presidency, we were told he couldn't get things done because the Democrats held Congress.

If you show will, if you show resolve, people will respond. If you simply poor mouth that you need more power and roll over, people respond to that too... and that creates Donald Trump.

That's exactly how I see it as well!  :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2015, 05:53:35 am »
That's exactly how I see it as well!  :beer:
Bigun, If you are going to believe the polls today then you should rationally recognize the polls from 2013.  In Oct 2013 Cruz showed that Congressional power of the purse is unpopular and hurts the GOP.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2015, 09:29:09 am »
Bigun, If you are going to believe the polls today then you should rationally recognize the polls from 2013.  In Oct 2013 Cruz showed that Congressional power of the purse is unpopular and hurts the GOP.

And yet we control Congress and a significant number of states. There's no correlation between govt shutdowns and a negative effect on the party.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Relic

« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2015, 01:54:12 pm »

And yet we control Congress and a significant number of states. There's no correlation between govt shutdowns and a negative effect on the party.

In the "logical and rational" world of the GOPe, polls matter more than actual voting, it seems. Taking that into account, to a GOPe'er, there was real damage in the polls, and the fact that the actual voting went decidedly in the GOP's favor doesn't mitigate the perceived damage in the polls.

Logical and rational, indeed.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2015, 02:12:14 pm »

Actually if one looks at the big picture he can conclude just the opposite!  When will you stop allowing the media to tell you what to think?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2015, 02:15:24 pm »
In the "logical and rational" world of the GOPe, polls matter more than actual voting, it seems. Taking that into account, to a GOPe'er, there was real damage in the polls, and the fact that the actual voting went decidedly in the GOP's favor doesn't mitigate the perceived damage in the polls.

Logical and rational, indeed.

:beer:
The Republic is lost.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2015, 03:46:14 pm »
Most of us here agree more than we disagree. The problem is, many of us see what we thought was "our side" governing as if they were the other side. So, to support those who betray us at every turn gets us almost nothing. I would grant you that the GOP won't govern like the current Marxist government, but the difference is small. When the GOP has the majority they govern as if they are the minority. It's frustrating.

I don't trust Trump, but he is the flashpoint, the lightning rod. Trump channels that frustration, for both sides, it appears.

You might find this Interesting?
 Roger Stone does his homework before he does anything.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/12/30/gop-establishment-has-no-problem-with-hillary-win-wont-address-the-clintons-war-on-women/