Author Topic: George Will: Beating Hillary Less Important Than Stopping Trump  (Read 1491 times)

Offline flowers

George Will: Beating Hillary Less Important Than Stopping Trump
« on: December 24, 2015, 08:45:23 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/12/24/george-will-beating-hillary-less-important-stopping-trump/

Panic time.

So, here’s the establishment roundup for Christmas week.

If You Support Donald Trump, You Want to Lose. Earlier this week, Bret Stephens of The Wall Street Journal unleashed a petulant column accusing all Trump and Cruz backers of begging for defeat. “Let us now pledge to elect Hillary Clinton as the 45th president of the United States,” he snarked. “Let’s do this because it’s what we want. Maybe secretly, maybe unconsciously, but desperately. We want four—and probably eight—more years of cable-news neuralgia. We want to drive ourselves to work as Mark Levin or Laura Ingraham scratch our ideological itches until they bleed a little. We want the refiner’s fire that is our righteous indignation at a country we claim no longer to recognize—ruled by impostors and overrun by foreigners.” Stephens specifically singled out Cruz for criticism, calling him a flip-flopper “happy to be on any side of an issue so long as he can paint himself as a ‘real Republican.’”

If We Have to Lose to Beat Trump, So Be It. When establishment columnists weren’t painting large swaths of the Republican base as politically suicidal, they were calling for suicide. George Will, iconic columnist, wrote today, “Conservatives’ highest priority now must be to prevent Trump from winning the Republican nomination in this, the GOP’s third epochal intraparty struggle in 104 years.” Never mind that Mitt Romney strayed from conservatism so far that he invented Obamacare; never mind that
Sen. John McCain (R-AZ)
36%
crafted campaign finance reform and amnesty. No, it’s Trump who singularly represents the death of the conservative ideal.

Of course, Will might just be miffed that Trump recently said “I think I have a much higher IQ… You have these guys like George Will. He sits with the little spectacles. If he didn’t have the spectacles, you wouldn’t think he’s smart because he’s wrong so much.”

Hey, Anybody Wanna Start a Third Party? Months ago, establishment Republicans complained that Donald Trump would not vow to forgo a third party run. Now, they’re thinking of a third party themselves. Weekly Standard editor-in-chief Bill Kristol tweeted:

Crowd-sourcing: Name of the new party we’ll have to start if Trump wins the GOP nomination? Suggestions welcome at editor@weeklystandard.com

— Bill Kristol (@BillKristol) December 20, 2015

And as I explained earlier this week:

Politico’s Jeff Greenfield says, “If the operatives I talked with are right, Trump running as a Republican could well face a third-party run – from the Republicans themselves”….Jeb Bush’s aides “began looking into the possibility of making a clear break with Trump – potentially with the candidate stating that, if Trump were the nominee, Bush would not support him.” Last week, MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough said that former Mississippi governor Haley Barbour “and a lot of the Republican leaders would much rather Hillary Clinton be President of the United States than have Donald Trump represent them as a Republican.” And in November, The Hill reported that “GOP establishment donors have confided to The Hill that for the first time in recent memory, they find themselves contemplating not supporting a Republican nominee for president.”

Gawd, Almighty. Jonah Goldberg of National Review sounded the alarm in September when he wrote, “Well, if this is the conservative movement now, I guess you’re going to have to count me out.” That’s been a consistent refrain from some of the columnists over at National Review – many of whom I like, respect, and read regularly. But here’s the problem, again: this is the party of Bob Dole and George H.W. Bush and John McCain and Mitt Romney. Ideological purity, unfortunately, went out the window long ago. And

What a clueless pyle. With hillary we will be worse off than the ghettos of Peru.

Offline sinkspur

Re: George Will: Beating Hillary Less Important Than Stopping Trump
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 08:48:48 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/12/24/george-will-beating-hillary-less-important-stopping-trump/

What a clueless pyle. With hillary we will be worse off than the ghettos of Peru.

Don't bet on it. Donald Trump is so much like Huey Long.......
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 10:46:13 pm »
George Will: Beating Hillary Less Important Than Stopping Trump

Will never said that. Ben Shapiro is a liar. The Cult of Trump gets scarier every day.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 12:26:43 am »
Will never said that. Ben Shapiro is a liar. The Cult of Trump gets scarier every day.
I guess this is what it has now become. It used to be that anyone who opposed Darth Combover must secretly support Jeb. Now, anyone who opposes Darth Combover must support Hillary. They cannot stand on their own candidate's merit, so they use the false dilemma.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 01:16:52 am »

It is the obsessive cry of those who want so much to identify as outsiders, since like Clint Eastwood characters, that is "kool."

Levin, Rush, other stir it daily. It is a tired old worn out recipe. It is no longer interesting in the slightest.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Paladin

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 01:30:04 am »

Really? Because the problem is you "quoted" something Ben never said about Will, "George Will: Beating Hillary Less Important Than Stopping Trump", whether it is the misleading headline of this column or not.

What he did say was, "If We Have to Lose to Beat Trump, So Be It. When establishment columnists weren’t painting large swaths of the Republican base as politically suicidal, they were calling for suicide. George Will, iconic columnist, wrote today, “Conservatives’ highest priority now must be to prevent Trump from winning the Republican nomination in this, the GOP’s third epochal intraparty struggle in 104 years.”; and that actual quote from Will is in a piece which can be read here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/a-conservative-party-jeopardized-by-trump/2015/12/23/3335339c-a8e2-11e5-8058-480b572b4aae_story.html

It seems the anti-Trump forces on here cannot stand on the facts, but must make up things he said and call him names.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 02:30:10 pm »
Really? Because the problem is you "quoted" something Ben never said about Will, "George Will: Beating Hillary Less Important Than Stopping Trump", whether it is the misleading headline of this column or not.

What he did say was, "If We Have to Lose to Beat Trump, So Be It. When establishment columnists weren’t painting large swaths of the Republican base as politically suicidal, they were calling for suicide. George Will, iconic columnist, wrote today, “Conservatives’ highest priority now must be to prevent Trump from winning the Republican nomination in this, the GOP’s third epochal intraparty struggle in 104 years.”; and that actual quote from Will is in a piece which can be read here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/a-conservative-party-jeopardized-by-trump/2015/12/23/3335339c-a8e2-11e5-8058-480b572b4aae_story.html

It seems the anti-Trump forces on here cannot stand on the facts, but must make up things he said and call him names.

"Conservatives highest priority is now preventing, Bla,Bla, This guy still thinks the RINOGOPe is conservative. If not for Conservatives TRUMP would not be in the RACE. And he thinks is has  creditability with people?? :silly: 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 03:43:23 pm »

Sure, WE will be worse off than the ghettos of Peru.  The GOPe political ruling class will go on unaffected. 

Offline mrclose

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 09:37:26 pm »
"Conservatives highest priority is now preventing, Bla,Bla, This guy still thinks the RINOGOPe is conservative. If not for Conservatives TRUMP would not be in the RACE. And he thinks is has  creditability with people?? :silly:

Maybe some of you don't remember or maybe you don't care but other than my not caring about George Will being an atheist, I have a larger reason for not liking the establishment hacks!

Oh and I include Krauthammer, Kristol and other Washington Insiders in my dislike of Faux Conservatives.

Obama And Conservatives Break Bread At George Will's House

Barack Obama took the next big step in his Republican charm offensive on Tuesday night, when he dined with several of the nation's most prominent conservative pundits.

The president-elect arrived at the Chevy Chase, Md., home of syndicated columnist George Will shortly after 6:30 p.m., according to a press pool report. Greeting him at the residence were other luminaries of the conservative commentariat, including the Weekly Standard's William Kristol, New York Times columnist David Brooks, and Charles Krauthammer of the Washington Post.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/13/obamas-dinner-with-conser_n_157701.html
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self