Author Topic: Marc Andreessen: 'In 20 years, every physical item will have a chip implanted in it'  (Read 1064 times)

HAPPY2BME

Star venture capitalist Andreessen's new $25m bet heralds the dawn of Internet of Things 2.0

The end state is obvious - every light, every doorknob will be connected to the internet.

The hype around the Internet of Things has been rising steadily over the past five years. In tech analyst Gartner's Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies report in 2015, the IoT is at the peak of "inflated expectations", particularly for areas like the smart home, which involve controlling your lights, thermostat or TV using your mobile phone.

But the era of sensors has only just dawned, according to renowned technology investor and internet pioneer Marc Andreessen. In 10 years, he predicts mobile phones themselves could disappear.

Marc Andreessen: Facebook to earn over $500m in 2009 Andreessen sits on the board of Facebook  Photo: REUTERS

"The idea that we have a single piece of glowing display is too limiting. By then, every table, every wall, every surface will have a screen or can project," he told the Telegraph. "Hypothetically you walk upto a wall, sit at a table and [talk to] an earpiece or eyeglasses to make a call. The term is ambient or ubiquitous computing."

"The idea that we have a single piece of glowing display is too limiting. By then, every table, every wall, every surface will have a screen or can project," he told the Telegraph. "Hypothetically you walk upto a wall, sit at a table and [talk to] an earpiece or eyeglasses to make a call. The term is ambient or ubiquitous computing."

Which is why he has invested $25m into Californian startup Samsara, which is the first of a new generation of "internet of things" devices that solves huge industrial problems, rather than turning your fridge or your toothbrush into a portal to the web.

"This second wave of companies, they don’t want to just do "internet of things"," Andreessen said. "They are showing up three years later, saying ok I know exactly how this is going to get used. It’s for real businesses in industrial environments."

Gartner backs this claim - it predicts that businesses alone will double spending on internet of things units by 2020, going from $767 billion to more than $1.4 trillion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet/12050185/Marc-Andreessen-In-20-years-every-physical-item-will-have-a-chip-implanted-in-it.html

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
IOT is coming fast. It has gone beyond smart watches and smart homes. Even things like laundry detergent and diapers are now available with little 'reorder' chips called a 'Dash button' that automatically reorders a product when it runs down.

I believe though, sometimes when there is rapid advances like this, you also get a pendulum swinging the other way- just like now with the boom of digital music, vinyl records are making a big comeback.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Will that include people?

I'm sure that's in the plan.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline ABX

Will that include people?

Considering the rapid adoption of wearable tech, I suspect you'll see this come w/ in the next few years; probably in the form of fitness monitors.

Offline ABX

I do not like making allusions to the Bible, but there are certain parallels to the number of the beast.

There is always the problem though of reading too much Revelation into any advancement that one shuns progress. I've heard so many things were 'the mark', from social security cards, to bar codes, to cell phones, to the internet.

The tech itself isn't evil, it will be how it is used.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Predictions are always sketchy.

Remember, according to so many predictions from the 40s and 50s, we were all supposed to have flying cars and moon bases by now.

A variety of geological, political, military, and social upheavals could easily set everything back to the starting line between now and 20 years from now.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I do have a pretty good gut feeling that when chips are implanted in us, the selling points will be good - but I think the real intent will be to inflict more control.  That's never good.

Mark of the Beast?  Hell yeah, it could be.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
That's just the warmup. Our technology is going to consume us.
The Republic is lost.