Author Topic: Next GOP debate stage could shrink to six candidates  (Read 839 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Next GOP debate stage could shrink to six candidates
« on: December 23, 2015, 01:59:06 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/264072-next-gop-debate-stage-could-shrink-to-six-candidates

December 22, 2015, 06:25 pm
Next GOP debate stage could shrink to six candidates

By Ben Kamisar

As few as six candidates could make the next GOP presidential debate stage in January, as Fox Business Network's new criteria could drastically shrink the field less than a month before the Iowa caucuses.
Fox Business Network announced three separate avenues to make the main stage, but those pathways are more restricted than in previous debates. Participants in the main stage debate on Jan. 14 must hit the top six in an average of five recent national polls, or top five in an average of recent polls from Iowa or New Hampshire.

The rest will qualify for another undercard debate, provided that they earn at least 1 percent in one of the qualifying polls. 

Last month's CNN debate also relied on early state polling, but set a 4 percent threshold instead. Nine candidates made the network's main event.

Fox Business Network, as in the past, hasn't announced which polls it would use. But using current RealClearPolitics averages, Donald Trump, Sen. Ted Cruz (Texas), Sen. Marco Rubio (Fla.), Ben Carson, former Gov. Jeb Bush (Fla.), and Gov. Chris Christie (N.J.) currently sit in the national top six.

Those six candidates also make up the top five in Iowa in New Hampshire, in a different order. So depending on which polls would qualify, no other candidates would make the main stage as of now.

That would relegate Sen. Rand Paul (Ky.), Carly FIorina, and Gov. John Kasich (Ohio) to the undercard debate weeks before the first votes of 2016 are cast. Candidates may get one more shot on Jan. 28, when Fox News hosts a debate just days before the Feb. 1 Iowa caucus.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GAJohnnie

Re: Next GOP debate stage could shrink to six candidates
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 02:00:32 pm »
Let hope they stick to this reasonable approach and not give into the whining of the also rans again.

Online libertybele

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 02:16:27 pm »
Let hope they stick to this reasonable approach and not give into the whining of the also rans again.

The writing is clearly on the wall and I would hope before the next debate we would see the candidates getting some sort of epiphany to step down. It is time sooner rather than later for the GOP candidates to pull together. At this point if their hearts are truly in wanting to win against the DEMS, they need to start rallying around other candidates.  I would love to see Fiorina hit the campaign trail, perhaps not to back a candidate, but to speak out against Hillary and the DEMS.  I see Huckabee, Paul and Santorum backing Cruz and Kasich and Jebbro backing Rubio.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 02:27:22 pm »
http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2015/12/22/fox-business-network-announces-entry-criteria-for-gop-primary-debates-on-jan-14/

FOX Business Network Announces Entry Criteria for GOP Primary Debates on Jan. 14
Published December 22, 2015FOXBusiness

FOX Business Network has announced the candidate criteria for its two Republican presidential primary debates on January 14, 2016.

The debates, which have been sanctioned by the Republican National Committee, will take place at the North Charleston Coliseum and Performing Arts Center in North Charleston, South Carolina. They will follow a similar format to the network’s inaugural debate, focusing on economic, domestic and international policy issues.

The debates will factor in both national polls, as well as those based in Iowa and New Hampshire conducted and released prior to Monday, January 11 at 6 p.m./ET. The primetime debate will feature candidates that place in the top six nationally, and place within the top five in Iowa or New Hampshire, while the remaining candidates will be invited to the early debate.

In order to qualify for the primetime debate, candidates must either:

• Place in the top six nationally, based on an average of the five most recent national polls recognized by FOX News.
OR
• Place in the top five in Iowa, based on an average of the five most recent Iowa state polls recognized by FOX News.
OR
• Place in the top five in New Hampshire, based on an average of the five most recent New Hampshire state polls recognized by FOX News.

Such polling must be conducted by major nationally and state recognized organizations that use standard methodological techniques (i.e., live interviewers, random digit-dial sampling techniques and include both landlines and cell phones). In order to qualify for the first debate, candidates must register at least one percent in ONE of the five most recent national polls.

More information on the debate, including moderators and times, will be released closer to the air date.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 02:36:21 pm »
It will be entertaining to watch the math gymnastics to keep Jeb on stage.

Online libertybele

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 03:37:16 pm »
Paul and Fiorina will be at the kiddie debate.  I wish they were doing better in the polls, I'd much rather see the two of them than Kasich and Jeb.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 03:42:24 pm »
Paul and Fiorina will be at the kiddie debate.  I wish they were doing better in the polls, I'd much rather see the two of them than Kasich and Jeb.

Agreeed

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 03:45:25 pm »

The polls are manipulated as well!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien