Author Topic: Trump DESTROYS ‘dishonest media’ by explaining why ‘SCHLONGED’ isn’t vulgar at all!!  (Read 6732 times)

Offline Longiron

Spot on. Every once in awhile comes along an unconventional candidate making for an unconventional race. They can do things no other candidate can and get away with it. Trump is that guy. He has more to lose right now by going conventional than he does staying as he is.

What people aren't getting, is that if Trump does get the nomination, Hillary will attack him. Then he will respond in the manner that Trump does - going for the throat. He can't help himself, it's reflexive. He will dish dirt on her 6 ways to sunrise and  she will be very exposed. People may still vote for her, but she will be properly vetted for the first time in her life. His ability to go rabid and get away with it more than any other candidate may be his best weapon against her.

Just read that a large part of TRUMP support comes from the person who gets ticked off when the phone said press 1 for English. Here we our in our own country and we have to press 1 to here our native language. Think about it???? :patriot:

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Trump needs to keep it entertaining...to get attention.  There's a reason that 7 to 8 times more people are watching the Republican debates than ever have at this time in the election before.  They want to see Trump and hopefully watch him skewer a politician (people don't like politicians) with a zinger, or at least fight back against them.  They aren't watching to see Rubio and Cruz go all policy wonk on an immigration bill (as Christie so ably pointed out).  Their eyes would glaze over.  His chance against Hillary is to make it controversial and take the fight to her in ways that will get attention.

For her part, I think Hillary is trying to disappear so as not to be a target.  She's banking that sometime in early November she will get enough people to just say "ah, Hell, we haven't had a woman before so let's see what one of them can do, it can't be worse" to win that way.  Trump's shot is to make it a mud fight.

Yes! What you said!
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
"What people aren't getting, is that if Trump does get the nomination, Hillary will attack him. Then he will respond in the manner that Trump does - going for the throat. He can't help himself, it's reflexive. He will dish dirt on her 6 ways to sunrise and  she will be very exposed. People may still vote for her, but she will be properly vetted for the first time in her life. His ability to go rabid and get away with it more than any other candidate may be his best weapon against her."

If he does get the nomination I hope you are correct; in the meantime he still serves the purpose of taming the wolves attacking Cruz.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Carling

So what happened to the "Trump isn't attacking Hillary" crowd? 
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
"What people aren't getting, is that if Trump does get the nomination, Hillary will attack him. Then he will respond in the manner that Trump does - going for the throat. He can't help himself, it's reflexive. He will dish dirt on her 6 ways to sunrise and  she will be very exposed. People may still vote for her, but she will be properly vetted for the first time in her life. His ability to go rabid and get away with it more than any other candidate may be his best weapon against her."

If he does get the nomination I hope you are correct; in the meantime he still serves the purpose of taming the wolves attacking Cruz.

Interesting take. Cruz's place in this is to me, pivotal. I will caucus for him, but I'm not sure he'll get the nomination. Even if he doesn't he can still be a huge force in two scenarios if he remains friendly with Trump. First is if he is the VP pick, then he gets to help shape admin policy while being able to navigate the Senate. Second is remain in the Senate as Trump's defacto Majority Leader, completely and deliberately undermining McConnell at every turn to pass legislation.
The Republic is lost.

Offline EdinVA

I think he may be getting more of the non-voters involved also, at least that is my hope.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Sorry guys, but alot of LIV's, especially those who don't like Hillary, will find this funny, and they will vote for him for this kind of stuff. Even alot of women.

I just didn't expect our side championing it.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS

Well, we could just quietly lose instead, like we did the last two times.  We aren't going to change the American culture in the campaign, we can play with what is or we can just happily lose.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Carling

Idiocy was Mitt Romney standing helpless and blinking like a moron as Candy Crowley "conveniently" had the exact transcript ready when Barack asked her to check it.

Do you think Trump would have stood there like a statue as the moderator had obviously coordinated that scenario with Obama?  He would have called that sham a sham.  That's what GOP voters want in 2016.  We tried it the McLame and Romney way and it didn't work!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 06:55:40 pm by Carling »

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical

True, but we got to work with what we got. Trump is taking liberal pop culture and shoving it down their throat. I get that he often goes off the rails, and he'll be a wildcard of a President, but if we get Hillary in, anyone that opposes her better get used to late night door knocks from men in trench coats.
The Republic is lost.

Offline flowers

Idiocy was Mitt Romney standing helpless and blinking like a moron as Candy Crowley "conveniently" had the exact transcript ready when Barack asked her to check it.

Do you think Trump would have stood there like a statue as the moderator had obviously coordinated that scenario with Obama? 
:king:   :beer:

Offline andy58-in-nh

Do you think Trump would have stood there like a statue as the moderator had obviously coordinated that scenario with Obama?  He would have called that sham a sham.  That's what GOP voters want in 2016.  We tried it the McLame and Romney way and it didn't work!

If only he was that quick. No, I think Trump would have called her a nasty name to a chorus of boos, cheers, and catcalls, before throwing up his hands and making a scene. Which would be way better than what Romney did, which was nothing; but not enough.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline aligncare

Trump, if nominated and elected, will accomplish things, big things. That much is known about Trump's personality.

If you've ever been in a Trump building, they are models of efficiency. Everything from amenities and maintenance to lobby clean-up function like clockwork. And the reason they do is because Trump demands excellence.

I think Trump's legacy will include (in addition to getting the wall built) busting up the waste, fraud and corruption in government infrastructure projects, such as the $2 billion for ONE veterans administration hospital--Trump commented that in the real world--outside of government--he could built 5-6 hospitals for the same cost.

When it comes to construction projects, Trump KNOWS buildings.

Offline Longiron

Interesting take. Cruz's place in this is to me, pivotal. I will caucus for him, but I'm not sure he'll get the nomination. Even if he doesn't he can still be a huge force in two scenarios if he remains friendly with Trump. First is if he is the VP pick, then he gets to help shape admin policy while being able to navigate the Senate. Second is remain in the Senate as Trump's defacto Majority Leader, completely and deliberately undermining McConnell at every turn to pass legislation.

Interesting take. If CRUZ is a VP pick other than TRUMP I think most of his supporters would leave in that he sold out to the RINOGOPe. If TRUMP pick someone else other than CRUZ and if that person is a RINOGOPe person then his supporters will go. TRUMP/RUBIO ticket would be a loser. Even though the VP is not all that important one cannot be seen as working with with the RINOGOPe when you run against it. CRUZ WINNING in the general election would be tough because of no name recognition and the same with RUBIO. Sorry to say but TRUMP does have name recognition as does HILLARY and she will win against anyone other than TRUMP. Round numbers 51 Million vote in POTUS election 25-30 MILLION have no idea who CRUZ or RUBIO is. Sad to say but that has been proven. Does one think Reagan would have been elected if not a actor FIRST?. When ONE candidate has the NAME recognition the other usually loses regardless of the issues. When both are not known then other things come into play like issues. Sorry but that is the state of AMERICA we live in. Many on here will disagree because most on here are aware even if we totally disagree on everything. :seeya:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 07:39:17 pm by Longiron »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

I think what Trump did here was right for Trump.  No other Republican politician could have pulled it off.  But once agsin Trump made himself the srory for a few days, and so long as Trump is the story the rest of the GOP field is off the radar. 

Also, it does not hurt him.  It is totally compatible with who Trump is in the minds of the people. 

We need to stop thinking in conventional terms when it comes to Trump's campaign.  He is attempting to rewrite the playbook.  Whether he will succeed or not is a big question.  But this is the strategy that got him to ftont-runner status, so he should stick with it and force someone else to elevate the conversation if they can.
thought provoking post as usual.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

You do understand that if all he did was talk about Hillary's lying, corruption and utter failure in policy that it would have been covered by no one.  Even beyond media bias - and this wouldn't be that necessarily - you have the media needing to get attention from a population that isn't interested in paying attention to serious issue debates. 

You would never have heard about this at all except for the word "schlong."  "Schlong" makes it funny and people want to laugh about stuff.  It's the equivalent of the stuff that goes viral because it is weird or funny or cute or something different.  No media is going to cover a serious discussion of policy regarding Hillary or Bernie or anyone else.  Because no one in America will listen to it or give a flat rip about it (except 20 people or so on this board). The only way - The Only Way - to get attention in America today is to be outrageous.  No one in America cares about politics, or who is right or who is wrong.  They want titillation. They will think about politics for about 10 seconds a day or two before the "Super Bowl" (the presidential election).  Look around you.

I am not trying to defend Trump to those of you who are taking this all seriously (I actually think it is hilarious and probably gets closer to connecting with people because it is outrageous), I get you all take this stuff with tremendous seriousness...but you'd better understand that the American people do not take any of this banter seriously, or even care about it, unless it gives them a laugh.

great post.

Offline Carling

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2015/12/23/npr-used-schlonged-to-describe-geraldine-ferraro-in-2011/

NPR Used ‘Schlonged’ to Describe Geraldine Ferraro in 2011

Donald J. Trump is still coming under fire from Hillary Clinton’s campaign and the media, including National Public Radio (NPR), for using the term “schlonged” to describe her defeat in the 2008 Democratic presidential primary.

Trump insists that the term is not vulgar, and merely describes “beaten badly.”

Certainly that is the way NPR itself used the term in 2011, in a discussion with political reported Chris Cilizza of the Washington Post.

Talk of the Nation host Neal Conan was discussing the recent passing of Geraldine Ferraro, the first woman to be nominated for Vice President. Apparently, Cilizza did not object to the term “schlonged,” nor did NPR’s Mara Liasson:

CONAN: And Chris Cillizza, that ticket went on to get schlonged(ph) at the polls, but that’s a historic moment.

Mr. CILLIZZA: Absolutely historic moment, Neal, but as you point out, lost 49 states. The only state that that ticket won, which was led by Walter Mondale, was his home state of Minnesota. I would say it was historic in another way, not just that Geraldine was the first woman to be on a major party ticket, but my father, my Italian father, would be – would not be happy if I did not mention she was the first Italian-American also to be on a major party ticket.

So groundbreaking in its way, but one fas
cinating tidbit: We still don’t have a woman president, and we had a female, obviously, nominee, with Hillary Clinton, and she lost the nomination.

The inestimable David Martosko of the Daily Mail has a roundup of other examples of the term’s occasional use in a non-vulgar context, including by several major media outlets. The term derives from a Yiddish word for “penis.”

Offline aligncare

Pardon me but, civility and politics in the same sentence?

Harry Truman is remembered for being a quiet, unassuming man. But the reality was he routinely took apart his political opponents. He acquired the nickname "Give 'em hell" Harry for a reason.

LBJ was famous for his rough and tumble style of politicking and for his reputation for winning political battles using any means necessary.

Our political history is filled with colorful characters who pushed the limits and knew how to win the office.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
massadvj, I have to disagree with you. When the actual voting occurs in the voting booths we shall see if there are enough conservatives that will overlook the crudeness, bluster and vulgarity that
Trump embodies to hand the nomination to Trump. I do not believe it will happen. The social conservatives will eventual turn on Trump and establishment conservatives already find him unacceptable. There is a limit to the number of times Trump can display such disregard for civility and remain an option for voters. What that limit is remains to be seen. But, it has already been reached by many and will be reached by others soon enough.

It is still way to early too be counting Trump out.  The Iowa caucus will be on Feb. 1, followed by other primaries on Feb., 9,20,23,27,31. I think we will have a clearer picture of how voters feel and voter turn out by the end of February. So far this has been about outside candidates vs. establishment candidates and so far the outsiders; Trump and Cruz are winning.  Jeb is a disaster and Rubio so far is their prayer.  The Florida primary isn't until March 15; if neither Bush or Rubio don't take Florida it's over for the GOPe, unless they run 3rd party as has been rumored lately.  I will not vote for Trump in the primary but I would certainly vote for him in the general election.

Also, I don't think we can ignore the fact that Hillary is still under investigation and we could very well wind up with Sanders as the nominee.  Also, the University of Illinois has accurately predicted the president since 1975 and they have predicted Bernie. :smokin:
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Just read that a large part of TRUMP support comes from the person who gets ticked off when the phone said press 1 for English. Here we our in our own country and we have to press 1 to here our native language. Think about it???? :patriot:

America's always been a country of immigrants.  A phone bank or ATM machine that accommodates persons who are new here isn't a reason for anger, it ought to be a source of pride.   We continue to be a beacon to the rest of the world.   Remember Reagan's shining city?  Sometimes I think that Trump supporters want to burn it down.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Interesting take. If CRUZ is a VP pick other than TRUMP I think most of his supporters would leave in that he sold out to the RINOGOPe. If TRUMP pick someone else other than CRUZ and if that person is a RINOGOPe person then his supporters will go. TRUMP/RUBIO ticket would be a loser. Even though the VP is not all that important one cannot be seen as working with with the RINOGOPe when you run against it. CRUZ WINNING in the general election would be tough because of no name recognition and the same with RUBIO. Sorry to say but TRUMP does have name recognition as does HILLARY and she will win against anyone other than TRUMP. Round numbers 51 Million vote in POTUS election 25-30 MILLION have no idea who CRUZ or RUBIO is. Sad to say but that has been proven. Does one think Reagan would have been elected if not a actor FIRST?. When ONE candidate has the NAME recognition the other usually loses regardless of the issues. When both are not known then other things come into play like issues. Sorry but that is the state of AMERICA we live in. Many on here will disagree because most on here are aware even if we totally disagree on everything. :seeya:

Not quite following here...Cruz is polling @#2, so obviously he has the name recognition; and certainly by the time the primaries come along he will be well known.  If you're talking about the 'Trump' brand vs. the 'Cruz' brand we are talking about Trump's brashiness vs. Cruz's conservatism.  Trump's problem right now, is the female vote; that is the vote that Hussein won on and Cruz also needs to draw in the female vote. Perhaps the attack against his kids may have helped.  Rubio is polling at #3 he is becoming more known because he is the answer to a failing Jeb run.  As for name recognition -- Hussein was an unknown.  We all know how that turned out.

As for the VP slot -- I don't see Cruz picking any of the other candidates for that slot; he will cleverly pick someone who will help him into the oval office and certainly not a RINO.  Trump may very well pick Cruz to try to gain his supporters or Fiorina to pick up the female vote.

Offline aligncare

America's always been a country of immigrants.  A phone bank or ATM machine that accommodates persons who are new here isn't a reason for anger, it ought to be a source of pride.   We continue to be a beacon to the rest of the world.   Remember Reagan's shining city?  Sometimes I think that Trump supporters want to burn it down.

I'm sorry, but there's a difference between giving away the store, and being welcoming as my parents and I were welcomed to this country from Italy 1956. Unfortunately, today's immigrants, legal and illegal, by and large, don't care for our culture, but instead want our money and opportunities to succeed, while trying to remake America into the hellhole they emigrated from.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 02:17:05 pm by aligncare »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I'm sorry, but there's a difference between giving away the store, and being welcoming as my parents and I were welcomed to this country from Italy 1956. Unfortunately, today's immigrants, legal and illegal, by and large, don't care for our culture, but instead want our money and opportunities to succeed, while trying to remake America into the hellhole they emigrated from.

I don't see how a "press #1 for English" prompt is "giving away the store".   I also don't see how the new wave of immigrants is much different from the waves that Reagan and others praised as quintessentially American.   The first generation usually sticks to its native tongue and adapts with difficulty, but succeeding generations assimilate just fine.  Mrs. Jazz's family is a perfect example.   She's one of eight kids born to a first generation immigrants from Mexico.  My father in law, a gardener, has an accent so thick that I barely understand it even after all these years.  But his eight kids all went to college, have good careers and are as American as apple pie.  (The only real fly in the ointment is that only one of them votes Republican). 

Reagan had the right idea.  Why do so many conservatives seem to forget their, and America's,  immigrant roots?   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline aligncare

I don't see how a "press #1 for English" prompt is "giving away the store".   I also don't see how the new wave of immigrants is much different from the waves that Reagan and others praised as quintessentially American.   The first generation usually sticks to its native tongue and adapts with difficulty, but succeeding generations assimilate just fine.  Mrs. Jazz's family is a perfect example.   She's one of eight kids born to a first generation immigrants from Mexico.  My father in law, a gardener, has an accent so thick that I barely understand it even after all these years.  But his eight kids all went to college, have good careers and are as American as apple pie.  (The only real fly in the ointment is that only one of them votes Republican). 

Reagan had the right idea.  Why do so many conservatives seem to forget their, and America's,  immigrant roots?   

That's the only thing Americans are struggling with concerning assimilation of immigrants? "Press one for English?"

I think it's a little more complicated than that.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads

Did they come here legally?

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!