Author Topic: Trump DESTROYS ‘dishonest media’ by explaining why ‘SCHLONGED’ isn’t vulgar at all!!  (Read 6733 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
This whole "press one for English" thing baffles me. How are people supposed to know there are other languages available if it's not mentioned? Magic?

Plus it reminds me of that throwaway joke in Demolition Man: "Thank you for calling the San Angeles Police Department. If you would rather speak to an automated system, press one now."
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
This whole "press one for English" thing baffles me. How are people supposed to know there are other languages available if it's not mentioned? Magic?

Plus it reminds me of that throwaway joke in Demolition Man: "Thank you for calling the San Angeles Police Department. If you would rather speak to an automated system, press one now."

Typically, when you call a big company, you will almost always be greeted by recordings that will say press one for English and a Spanish speaker telling you to press two for Espanol.  It gripes me, and I guess a lot of other people that I have to click on anything to hear English.  Just have the recording answer in English and the Spanish speaking recording - or any other language you want to have can then instruct to press two, or whatever number to hear the menu in another language. 

Why make the caller have to go to the extra step of clicking on a number to hear a menu in English when the majority of callers speak and/or understand enough English to navigate through the rest of the menu? 

By itself, it is not a significant issue, but it is everywhere now and it is starting to feel like an invasion of sorts. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EdinVA

The "press one for English" is just a sound bite for the media.
With extensive accommodation where is the need to assimilate?
When I go to the DMV (department of motor vehicles) to take care of car or drivers license stuff, invariably, someone is in line that cannot speak English and the DMV staff have to scramble to find someone that can help.  The entire organization grinds to a halt because someone, not always Hispanic, cannot understand the conversation.
We have to print all government documents and forms in many languages because people refuse to learn English which is extremely expensive.
All of our kids are forced to learn Spanish beginning in the first grade, even before they have a handle on english which means we have to have additional special teachers.
Our police are now required to be conversant in Spanish.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Merry Christmas DC. 
I hope Santa brought you something nice.

I got Avengers 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy on BluRay, a house filled with relatives, food, and sangria...and the joy of watching my children open presents.

I got the opportunity to see my sister for the first time in over 20 years.  Who could ask for anything more than that?

Spent the entire Christmas Day trying to catch up on sleep...drove 450 miles each way to my brother's.

Merry Christmas, Once-Ler.   :beer:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 03:25:09 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sinkspur

Typically, when you call a big company, you will almost always be greeted by recordings that will say press one for English and a Spanish speaker telling you to press two for Espanol.  It gripes me, and I guess a lot of other people that I have to click on anything to hear English.  Just have the recording answer in English and the Spanish speaking recording - or any other language you want to have can then instruct to press two, or whatever number to hear the menu in another language. 

Why make the caller have to go to the extra step of clicking on a number to hear a menu in English when the majority of callers speak and/or understand enough English to navigate through the rest of the menu? 

By itself, it is not a significant issue, but it is everywhere now and it is starting to feel like an invasion of sorts.

I'm wondering if this is all bullshit.

I have NEVER heard a recording "press 1 for English." What I HAVE heard is "press 1 for Spanish" in Spanish. The default is to English. 

I want someone to give me an actual company or enterprise that asks the caller to "press 1 for English" or "2 for Spanish."  And give me a number so I can call and hear it.

Cuz I have NEVER heard that.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I'm wondering if this is all bullshit.

I have NEVER heard a recording "press 1 for English." What I HAVE heard is "press 1 for Spanish" in Spanish. The default is to English. 

I want someone to give me an actual company or enterprise that asks the caller to "press 1 for English" or "2 for Spanish."  And give me a number so I can call and hear it.

Cuz I have NEVER heard that.

Iowa Workforce Development

800-850-5627
The Republic is lost.

Offline sinkspur

Iowa Workforce Development

800-850-5627

I said a company, a business. I can believe government does that.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
That's what I like to see - question asked and answered!  :laugh:

Subsidiary question:

That seems like a government or NGO type organisation - does anyone have a number that does the same from a PRIVATE company?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

I got the opportunity to see my sister for the first time in over 20 years.  Who could ask for anything more than that?

Sounds like a great Christmas DC.   ^-^