Author Topic: How we deal with rattlesnakes here in Texas.  (Read 4687 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
How we deal with rattlesnakes here in Texas.
« on: December 22, 2015, 06:28:05 pm »
Here in Texas, I have rattlesnakes on my place, living among us. I have killed a rattlesnake on the front porch. I have killed a rattlesnake on the back porch. I have killed rattlesnakes in the barn, in the shop and on the driveway. In fact, I kill every rattlesnake I encounter. I kill rattlesnakes because I know a rattlesnake will bite me and inject me with poison. I don't stop to wonder WHY a rattlesnake will bite me; I know it WILL bite me because it's a rattlesnake and that's what rattlesnakes do. I don't try to reason with a rattlesnake or have a "meaningful dialogue" with it. I just kill it. I don't try to get to know the rattlesnake better so I can find a way to live with the rattlesnakes and convince them not to bite me. I just kill them.
I don't quiz a rattlesnake to see if I can find out where the other snakes are, because (a) it won't tell me and (b) I already know they live on my place. So, I just kill the rattlesnake and move on to the next one. I don't look for ways I might be able to change the rattlesnake to a non-poisonous rat snake. I just kill it. Oh, and on occasion, I accidentally kill a rat snake because I thought it was a rattlesnake at the time.
Also, I know for every rattlesnake I kill, two more are lurking out there in the brush. In my lifetime I will never be able to rid my place of rattlesnakes.
Do I fear them? Not really. Do I respect what they can do to me and my family? Yes! And because of that respect, I give them the fair justice they deserve. I kill them. As a country, we should start giving more thought to the fact that these jihadists' are telling the world their goal is to kill Americans and destroy our way of life.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GAJohnnie

Re: How we deal with rattlesnakes here in Texas.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 06:31:33 pm »
 :amen:

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 06:40:27 pm »
 :amen: is right!

The problem that we have, is that Western Civilization has bought into the lie that 'rattlesnakes' are to be protected as practicing a "religion."

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 06:42:07 pm »
They do the same in New Mexico, Arizona, Oklahoma, and Southern Colorado!  I hope the rest will catch on soon!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 06:42:37 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 06:44:12 pm »
:amen: is right!

The problem that we have, is that Western Civilization has bought into the lie that 'rattlesnakes' are to be protected as practicing a "religion."

And it's not even a religion to begin with! It is a political movement masquerading as a religion and always has been!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 06:47:30 pm »
Voltaire on Islam:

“The Koran teaches fear, hatred, contempt for others, murder as a legitimate means for the dissemination and preservation of this satanic doctrine, it talks ill of women, classifies people into classes, calls for blood and ever more blood. Yet, that a camel trader sparks uproar in his tribe, that he wants to make his fellow citizens believe that he talked to the archangel Gabriel; that he boasted about being taken up into heaven and receiving a part of that indigestible book there, which can shake common sense on every page, that to gain respect for this work, he covers his country with fire and iron, that he strangles fathers, drags away daughters, that he leaves the beaten a free choice between death and his faith: now this is certainly something that no-one can excuse, unless he came as a Turk into the world, unless superstition has stifled any natural light of reason in him. ”

http://vladtepesblog.com/2015/01/15/voltaire-quote-on-islam-from-the-1700s/

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 06:52:39 pm »
And it's not even a religion to begin with! It is a political movement masquerading as a religion and always has been!

Exactly, that is why I put the word within the double quote marks.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 07:02:57 pm »
Exactly, that is why I put the word within the double quote marks.

The truly SAD thing is that although the TRUE nature of Islam has been widely known for centuries we STILL treat it with kid gloves!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline flowers

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 08:33:49 pm »
Here in Texas, I have rattlesnakes on my place, living among us. I have killed a rattlesnake on the front porch. I have killed a rattlesnake on the back porch. I have killed rattlesnakes in the barn, in the shop and on the driveway. In fact, I kill every rattlesnake I encounter. I kill rattlesnakes because I know a rattlesnake will bite me and inject me with poison. I don't stop to wonder WHY a rattlesnake will bite me; I know it WILL bite me because it's a rattlesnake and that's what rattlesnakes do. I don't try to reason with a rattlesnake or have a "meaningful dialogue" with it. I just kill it. I don't try to get to know the rattlesnake better so I can find a way to live with the rattlesnakes and convince them not to bite me. I just kill them.
I don't quiz a rattlesnake to see if I can find out where the other snakes are, because (a) it won't tell me and (b) I already know they live on my place. So, I just kill the rattlesnake and move on to the next one. I don't look for ways I might be able to change the rattlesnake to a non-poisonous rat snake. I just kill it. Oh, and on occasion, I accidentally kill a rat snake because I thought it was a rattlesnake at the time.
Also, I know for every rattlesnake I kill, two more are lurking out there in the brush. In my lifetime I will never be able to rid my place of rattlesnakes.
Do I fear them? Not really. Do I respect what they can do to me and my family? Yes! And because of that respect, I give them the fair justice they deserve. I kill them. As a country, we should start giving more thought to the fact that these jihadists' are telling the world their goal is to kill Americans and destroy our way of life.

:beer:

Offline flowers

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 08:35:22 pm »
The truly SAD thing is that although the TRUE nature of Islam has been widely known for centuries we STILL treat it with kid gloves!
No.....some people now a days are playing nice with them thinking it will all be OK. The rest of them know what they are and want them to invade us. Destroy western civilization.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 07:15:44 pm »

Well! You aren't very liberal-minded are you?

Maybe you need some of the rattlesnakes to be your boots on the ground to kill the other rattlesnakes, you know you can't kill them all  :silly:
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 07:17:51 pm »
Well! You aren't very liberal-minded are you?

Nope! Not a bit!

Maybe you need some of the rattlesnakes to be your boots on the ground to kill the other rattlesnakes, you know you can't kill them all  :silly:

I can damn sure try!  :smokin:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 07:54:08 pm »
Interesting, Bigun.

What part of Texas are you in?  I'm NE central.  Luckily, not too many rattlesnakes right here.  But, copperheads - lots of them.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 08:00:33 pm »
We have a lot of wildlife around the place, some of which can be dangerous. Came across a rattlesnake once and decided to leave it be (took a picture. that was about it). Friends and neighbors were aghast I didn't destroy it. It wasn't near the house or anywhere that I viewed it as threat. Have mountain lions and bob cats walking across the patios from time to time and I don't shoot them. Jihadist?....wouldn't hesitate a second...

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 08:51:56 pm »
Interesting, Bigun.

What part of Texas are you in?  I'm NE central.  Luckily, not too many rattlesnakes right here.  But, copperheads - lots of them.

The only reason there aren't twice as many is that we ran out of shotgun shells!

I actually live near Huntsville but have worked all over.  That picture was taken in South Texas just after a mud tank that we had been walking around for months was picked up.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 08:54:26 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 10:01:11 pm »
Wow!

Offline Carling

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2015, 02:11:35 am »

I grew up in Montana and worked ranches through college, and even worked the oilfields of Wyoming one college summer as a derrick hand on a natural gas drilling rig.  There is a reason everyone wears either cowboy boots or work boots in the high desert.  Those fangs can't go through leather when you're out clearing brush, fixing fences, or shooting antelope and deer.   America needs more cowboy boots in DC.   :beer:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 02:14:52 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2015, 02:19:19 am »
I grew up in Montana and worked ranches through college, and even worked the oilfields of Wyoming one college summer as a derrick hand on a natural gas drilling rig.  There is a reason everyone wears either cowboy boots or work boots in the high desert.  Those fangs can't go through leather when you're out clearing brush, fixing fences, or shooting antelope and deer.   America needs more cowboy boots in DC.   :beer:

Couldn't agree more!  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2015, 02:20:01 am »
... America needs more cowboy boots in DC.   :beer:

Amen to that!

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2015, 03:56:08 am »

Offline Paladin

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2015, 04:11:24 am »
"What part of Texas are you in?  I'm NE central."

"I actually live near Huntsville but have worked all over."

Y'all mind if I join you on the porch in order to enjoy the breeze? Currently I live in WA state but consider Deep East Texas as my real home. All my children were born there and, in fact, I just returned from the Dallas area after attending the graduation of one of my daughters from college.

Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2015, 04:15:57 am »

Y'all mind if I join you on the porch in order to enjoy the breeze? Currently I live in WA state but consider Deep East Texas as my real home. All my children were born there and, in fact, I just returned from the Dallas area after attending the graduation of one of my daughters from college.

Pull up a chair and sit a spell! All are welcome septin snakes that is!

How in hell did a good East Texas boy wind up in Washington state?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 04:17:23 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Paladin

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2015, 04:28:38 am »
How in hell did a good East Texas boy wind up in Washington state?

Lol. As with many others, life takes such twists and turns as it and God wills. My abiding hope is that someday I will be able to return to my home among the piney woods.

A footnote to this discussion: I find it an interesting coincidence you are currently residing in or near Huntsville as I now reading a biography of one my great heroes, General Sam. Not a major coincidence to be sure, but to me still interesting.

Btw, isn't Massadvj  also a Texan, lives over toward Bryan/College Station? Any others?
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2015, 04:34:31 am »
Lol. As with many others, life takes such twists and turns as it and God wills. My abiding hope is that someday I will be able to return to my home among the piney woods.

A footnote to this discussion: I find it an interesting coincidence you are currently residing in or near Huntsville as I now reading a biography of one my great heroes, General Sam. Not a major coincidence to be sure, but to me still interesting.

Btw, isn't Massadvj  also a Texan, lives over toward Bryan/College Station? Any others?

Yes! As it happens I know all about that.  We'll keep the light on for ya!

The place I live on is a part of my grandfather's (mother's side) place that has been in the family since one of my ancestors went to San Jacinto General Sam.

Victor has a place in the hill country but spends most of his time in Pennsylvania.  At least until he retires that is!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 04:36:12 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2015, 04:41:46 am »

Absolutely.  Take the porch swing or the rocker.  It was a glorious day, sunny, warm - low 70's.  Now dropping into the low 50's.