Author Topic: Donald Trump and the end of a movement  (Read 1347 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Donald Trump and the end of a movement
« on: December 19, 2015, 07:38:17 pm »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/donald-trump-and-the-end-of-a-movement/article/2578653

Donald Trump and the end of a movement
By David B. Frisk and Jonathan Riehl • 12/18/15 12:02 AM

Less than two months before voting starts in Iowa, Donald Trump remains the most popular candidate among Republicans. Most observers said it wouldn't happen, couldn't happen. A few days after The Donald's announcement, we wrote a column surveying the GOP field. We didn't even include Trump. Boy were we wrong.

And so, as observers and historians of conservatism, we ask: Why is this man still here? Mediocre performances in several debates, an endless string of absurd remarks, continued failure (it increasingly looks like a refusal) to articulate a policy agenda and clear evidence that he has no history of political commitment to anything — none of it has eroded Trump's lead.

The question this raises is not why Republican voters like him. His sincere and apparently fearless outrage at how wrong things have gone in America, plus his campaign's independence from the donor class, have earned Trump his popularity in the party. But his voters seem unwilling or unable to separate personal admiration for the man, or enjoyment of him as a new voice, from fitness for the presidency.

They also don't seem to have considered whether he can beat Hillary Clinton — since, with such an unconventional candidate, a favorable answer to that question would require at least a smoother and longer performance in the primaries.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

Re: Donald Trump and the end of a movement
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 07:47:21 pm »
One cannot imagine William F. Buckley or Russell Kirk or Richard Weaver or Milton Friedman tolerating Donald Trump's disgraceful conduct and rhetoric. Indeed, conservatism in our time, whether gentle or harsh, has always claimed an intellectual coherence, a moral seriousness, espoused by thinkers like these, who epitomized a consistency of aim that is irreconcilable with Trump's vapid, scattershot, "trust me — I'll be great" messaging.

Doesn't matter.  Conservatives backing Trump have basically ditched their serious conservatism in favor of a bloviater who will "stick it to the man."  The man, of course, is the "establishment," whatever the hell that is.

They don't care that he will govern like a Democrat on most policies.  They just want the buffoon to blow it all up.

The good news is that there are more than enough votes to deny Trump the presidency.

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Carling

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 07:48:13 pm »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/donald-trump-and-the-end-of-a-movement/article/2578653

They also don't seem to have considered whether he can beat Hillary Clinton — since, with such an unconventional candidate, a favorable answer to that question would require at least a smoother and longer performance in the primaries.

continued

Clinton, Rubio, Bush, Kasich,Christie ... all the same candidate. May as well go big with either Cruz or Trump and at least break up the GOP.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 07:54:02 pm »
They don't care that he will govern like a Democrat on most policies.  They just want the buffoon to blow it all up.

Then he should get along great with Ryan and McConnell and be lauding their current budget deal.
The Republic is lost.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 07:55:12 pm »
Doesn't matter.  Conservatives backing Trump have basically ditched their serious conservatism in favor of a bloviater who will "stick it to the man."  The man, of course, is the "establishment," whatever the hell that is.

The good news is that there are more than enough votes to deny Trump the presidency.

Not a Trump supporter but going to ask anyway.

Can you give me just one good reason why conservatives should continue voting for what they have been voting for?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Carling

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 07:57:17 pm »

You're talking about Ryan, McConnell, Rubio, and the rest of the GOPe, right?   :silly:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 07:59:25 pm »
Then he should get along great with Ryan and McConnell and be lauding their current budget deal.

hahahaha
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 08:01:31 pm »
Conservatives were berating our citizenry about Obama, in two previous election cycles, for "cult of personality" reasons.

I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. First came "shock radio," next "shock cable TV news," and finally "shock politics."

I just don't want any pontifications about "conservative principles," got that?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 08:01:45 pm »

Can you give me just one good reason why conservatives should continue voting for what they have been voting for?

Exactly.  There is no reason to vote for the status quo; absolutely none.

Cruz 2106.  Reigniting the Promise of America!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 08:02:38 pm »

Exactly right!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Carling

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 08:04:50 pm »
Conservatives were berating our citizenry about Obama, in two previous election cycles, for "cult of personality" reasons.

I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. First came "shock radio," next "shock cable TV news," and finally "shock politics."

I just don't want any pontifications about "conservative principles," got that?

Is my support of Cruz based on a "cult of personality," or is it because I'm sick and tired of your GOPe lying to my face before I vote for them?  I'm not an anomaly this election cycle.  It will end up with HRC as president, and frankly I don't care at this point after your GOPe gave Obama everything he wanted this week, and took valid campaign issues off the table such as funding immigration, and funding ObamaCare via deficit spending while yet again rewriting the law to suspend taxes that were supposed to pay for it.

Screw 'em.  I'm done.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 08:09:56 pm »

Vote for Ted Cruz if you want change.

Vote for Donald Trump if you want to roll the dice with a man who has been part of the political establishment for YEARS.  How's that different from what you have now?

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 08:10:01 pm »
Within just the last day, Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan emblazoned across the sky exactly what it means to vote for a Republican of the political class.  If poltroons like this author are too blind to see that for the Republican Party the asteroid has struck, well then there is just no help for them.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Longiron

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 08:11:46 pm »
Is my support of Cruz based on a "cult of personality," or is it because I'm sick and tired of your GOPe lying to my face before I vote for them?  I'm not an anomaly this election cycle.  It will end up with HRC as president, and frankly I don't care at this point after your GOPe gave Obama everything he wanted this week, and took valid campaign issues off the table such as funding immigration, and funding ObamaCare via deficit spending while yet again rewriting the law to suspend taxes that were supposed to pay for it.

Screw 'em.  I'm done.

Don't quit until after the PRIMARY or you will be doing what they want you to do. Have to stay in to VOTE for CRUZ. The RINOGOPe want you to leave or NOT vote in the PRIMARY then their puppets like RUBIO or BUSHIE come in to save the RINOGOPe. DON'T quit just yet, Please. :patriot:

Offline Carling

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 08:15:15 pm »
"I have no doubt that Senator Clinton would make a good president." - John McCain.

Exactly why would I vote for the GOPe candidate at this point?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 08:15:37 pm by Carling »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 08:19:31 pm »
Don't quit until after the PRIMARY or you will be doing what they want you to do. Have to stay in to VOTE for CRUZ. The RINOGOPe want you to leave or NOT vote in the PRIMARY then their puppets like RUBIO or BUSHIE come in to save the RINOGOPe. DON'T quit just yet, Please. :patriot:

I along with every other member of this family will vote for Cruz in the primary and I will use every drop of whatever influence I still have to get others to do the same.

I will also do everything in my power to unseat the newly minted Chair of the House Ways and Means Committee Kevin Brady.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 08:19:52 pm »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 08:25:34 pm »
Trump had crummy-looking hair even back in the 80s. 

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2015, 08:34:13 pm »

Do you mean like No Child Left Behind?
Or maybe the $700+ Billion bailout?
Or Regans amnesty?
Or the S&L Bailout?
Or maybe the unsecured borders for the last 50 years?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 08:36:19 pm by EdinVA »

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 08:42:58 pm »
All this stupid nonsense about Trump being a Democrat is laughably ridiculous. It is freaking absurd on the face of it.

Republicans are in no way different from any Democrat. They are the same thing.

Trump is offering something new. And who cares anyway. There is no one in Congress I give one single shit about anyway.

Send Trump up there. Let's blow the whole thing. F**K those fat overpaid parasites. Screw them all.

Trump/Cruz. Let's do this thing.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2015, 09:09:15 pm »
All this stupid nonsense about Trump being a Democrat is laughably ridiculous. It is freaking absurd on the face of it.

Trump is offering something new. And who cares anyway. There is no one in Congress I give one single shit about anyway.

Send Trump up there. Let's blow the whole thing. F**K those fat overpaid parasites. Screw them all.

DITTO and Merry Christmas. :beer:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2015, 05:26:23 am »

See that's the thing. I know Trump is probably going to push for some things I don't agree with. But I also feel like when he is on target in his policy view on whatever issue, he's not going to do it halfway. He'll go right to the heart of it and make the effort to actually fix it.

Now I may be totally wrong, but if he gets the nomination, I'm going to vote the wildcard and see how it plays.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2015, 05:43:45 am »

I wonder if Reagan had Donald in mind when he said that.  :pondering:
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2015, 07:48:55 am »
"I have no doubt that Senator Clinton would make a good president." - John McCain.

Exactly why would I vote for the GOPe candidate at this point?

Why would anybody vote for a Hitlery loving sack of crap?
“Hillary Clinton I think is a terrific woman.  I am biased because I have known her for years. I live in New York. She lives in New York. I really like her and her husband both a lot. I think she really works hard. And I think, again, she’s given an agenda, it is not all of her, but I think she really works hard and I think she does a good job. I like her." - a sack of crap

Offline libertybele

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2015, 09:25:08 am »
Why would anybody vote for a Hitlery loving sack of crap?
“Hillary Clinton I think is a terrific woman.  I am biased because I have known her for years. I live in New York. She lives in New York. I really like her and her husband both a lot. I think she really works hard. And I think, again, she’s given an agenda, it is not all of her, but I think she really works hard and I think she does a good job. I like her." - a sack of crap

I have two words for you:  Ted Cruz!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.