Author Topic: Martin O’Malley and Bernie Sanders Bristle at Holding Debates on Weekends  (Read 455 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/12/18/martin-omalley-and-bernie-sanders-bristle-at-holding-debates-on-weekends/?_r=0

6:00 am ET By Alan Rappeport

Martin O’Malley and Bernie Sanders Bristle at Holding Debates on Weekends

If a presidential debate is held and nobody watches, does it really happen?

While viewers are expected to watch the third Democratic debate on Saturday night, they are unlikely to be doing so in the droves that tuned into the Republican debates or the Democratic face-off that was held on a weeknight. While some of that interest on the Republican side can be attributed to the Donald J. Trump effect, critics of the Democratic National Committee’s scheduling process are also upset that the party is muting its message by holding debates when people are less likely to tune in.

There was much discussion over the number of Democratic debates that would be held in this cycle, with Martin O’Malley and Senator Bernie Sanders pushing for more opportunities to face off publicly with Hillary Clinton. They ultimately settled on six, of which two were scheduled for Saturday evenings and one for a Sunday.

As in the previous Democratic debate, which was held at the same time as an important college football game, the candidates will clash on Saturday night with the New York Jets and the Dallas Cowboys.

Mr. O’Malley, who has been the most vocal about the timing of the debates, complained about the issue in August.

“They’ve scheduled it during shopping season, December 19th,” Mr. O’Malley said. “I don’t know why that is. I think it’s out of a false sense that they have to circle the wagons around the inevitable front-runner.”

A spokeswoman for Mr. O’Malley’s campaign said that avoiding prime-time debate slots was a way for the Democratic Party to “protect” Mrs. Clinton, and that it had given Mr. Trump and the Republicans a better platform to express their views.

Mr. Sanders’s campaign said that he did not have any input about when the debates would take place and that he was hoping for more opportunities to discuss the issues with his rivals for the nomination.

“We’re playing the hand we were dealt,” said Michael Briggs, a spokesman for Mr. Sanders. “I guess Christmas Eve was booked.”

The Clinton campaign did not respond to a request for comment.

For its part, the Democratic National Committee says that it opted for fewer debates to give candidates more time to interact with voters on the campaign trail. The weekend debates were scheduled because the party felt it was important to have some of them broadcast on networks that do not require cable subscriptions, the committee said. Major broadcasters were less flexible about bumping their previously scheduled prime-time lineups for debates.

Luis Miranda, a spokesman for the committee, rejected the notion that the party was trying to accommodate Mrs. Clinton and noted that the first two debates had attracted robust viewership, with a combined total of nearly 25 million people tuning in.

“We’re confident that between our debates and forums, together with the candidates’ town halls, county fair visits, and living-room conversations in states like Iowa and New Hampshire, our candidates are having ample opportunities to engage with voters and to present their visions to keep America moving forward,” Mr. Miranda said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
“They’ve scheduled it during shopping season, December 19th,” Mr. O’Malley said. “I don’t know why that is.....

Really?  With all the complaints about the GOPe, they can't hold a candle to the DNCe in the totalitarian way they run things.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
O'Malley and Sanders need the exposure, but o'er-the-Hillary wants folks to be watchin' sumthin' else!

Offline flowers

O'Malley and Sanders need the exposure, but o'er-the-Hillary wants folks to be watchin' sumthin' else!
Exactly....showing once more the fix is in.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I notice they haven't released the ratings yet. I bet it was a bomb. Saturday night, at the same time as some big football games, also Star Wars opening weekend (awesome by the way). I bet it was MSNBC level of viewership. They are really trying to hide their candidates.

Offline Longiron

Rush said it best: the more she talks and appears in public the more she drops in the polls. :patriot: