Author Topic: Bowe Bergdahl’s desertion story is beyond disgraceful  (Read 464 times)

rangerrebew

Bowe Bergdahl’s desertion story is beyond disgraceful
« on: December 14, 2015, 02:29:19 pm »
Bowe Bergdahl’s desertion story is beyond disgraceful
Jim Mitchell   
Published: December 11, 2015 4:54 pm

Bowe Bergdahl, before his capture by the Taliban in Afghanistan. Bergdahl,who was held five years by the Taliban, says he walked off his base in Afghanistan because he wanted to prove he was like fictional CIA movie spy Jason Bourne. AFP Photo

Bowe Bergdahl, before his capture by the Taliban in Afghanistan. Bergdahl, who was held five years by the Taliban, says he walked off his base in Afghanistan because he wanted to prove he was like fictional CIA movie spy Jason Bourne. AFP Photo

The last time I heard something as far-fetched as U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl’s rationale for leaving his post was O.J. Simpson’s vow to search for his ex-wife’s killer…on the golf course.

I don’t know whether to laugh, cry or be angry. Bergdahl is one troubled young man. Listen to this podcast. I think you will agree.

His reason for leaving his post and endangering the lives of soldiers searching for him is remarkably juvenile. He wanted to expose leadership failures, and test whether he could pull off a Jason Bourne adventure, he says. He wanted to draw attention, like a petulant child who hides and panics his parents just to spite them.

That would be an irresponsible stunt for an immature four-year mind. I don’t have harsh enough words to describe my thoughts about a similar act by a soldier in a war zone.

Six soldiers died while searching for Bergdahl, and the U.S. exchanged five Taliban prisoners who were being held at Guantanamo Bay to free him. It would be bad enough had he turned his back on his unit and deserted for some ideological conversion. But I have even less respect for someone who created a deadly crisis and caused brave rescuers to die.

Bergdahl says he knew he was in trouble 20 minutes after he walked away from his post. It was then Bergdahl says he realized that he “was over my head,” and that he had done something really serious. Listen close to the podcast. He started to say “bad,” then corrected himself to say “serious.”

That is the difference between taking responsibility and punting it.

The anger soldiers have for Bergdahl is justified. I hope Bergdahl really understands what he did and isn’t playing us again.

http://dallasmorningviewsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/12/bowe-bergdahls-desertion-story-is-beyond-disgraceful.html/
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:30:02 pm by rangerrebew »