Author Topic: Donald Trump hits Scalia over Affirmative Action Remarks  (Read 1193 times)

Offline sinkspur

Donald Trump hits Scalia over Affirmative Action Remarks
« on: December 13, 2015, 08:49:42 pm »

Donald Trump Hits Scalia Over Affirmative Action Remarks

CHUCK ROSS

3:18 PM 12/13/2015

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is siding with many Democrats in criticizing conservative Supreme Court justice Antonin Scalia over comments he made about African-American student achievement during oral arguments earlier this week of the affirmative action case, Fisher v. University of Texas.

“I thought his remarks were very tough,” Trump said of Scalia in an interview with CNN’s Jake Tapper that aired Sunday.

“They were very, very tough to a certain community,” the Republican front-runner continued. “I thought it was very tough to the African-American community.”

Scalia’s remarks, made Wednesday, drew accusations of racism from Democrats and liberal activists who claimed that he was arguing that African-American college students are less capable than other students. But Scalia’s supporters have said that he was merely citing academic literature which has found that students granted admission based on affirmative action often struggle to keep up with their peers.

“There are those who contend that it does not benefit African-Americans to get them into the University of Texas where they do not do well, as opposed to having them go to a less-advanced school, a slower-track school where they do well,” Scalia said.

Referencing a friend-of-the-court brief, Scalia said that it “pointed out that most of the black scientists in this country don’t come from schools like the University of Texas.”

“They come from lesser schools where they do not feel that they’re being pushed ahead in classes that are too fast for them,” the justice continued.

The remarks received immediate pushback from Democratic politicians and liberal activists.

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid condemned Scalia’s remarks on the Senate floor on Thursday. On Friday, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi called on Scalia to recuse himself from affirmative action cases in the future.

Scalia’s defenders asserted that he was referring to what is known as “mismatch theory,” a theory popularized by UCLA law professor Richard Sander and legal journalist Stuart Taylor Jr. in their book, “Mismatch: How Affirmative Action Hurts Students It’s intended to Help, and why Universities won’t admit it.”

But Trump appears not to buy into the thesis.

“I don’t like what he said,” Trump told Tapper of Scalia. “I heard him, I was like, let me read it again.”

“I’m going ‘whoa!'” the real estate billionaire concluded.

It remains to be seen how Trump’s supporters will respond to their candidate’s criticism of Scalia, who is perhaps the most conservative Supreme Court justice.

In a round-table analysis of Trump’s interview, CNN’s Dana Bash asserted that “for a Republican, for a conservative, to criticize Scalia is anathema.”

“He sounded a lot like Harry Reid sounded there,” she added.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2015/12/13/donald-trump-hits-scalia-over-affirmative-action-remarks-video/#ixzz3uEgsHHYM
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Donald Trump hits Scalia over Affirmative Action Remarks
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 08:51:18 pm »
Tapper asked Trump if he favored affirmative action and Trump changed the subject.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 10:09:10 pm »
Tapper asked Trump if he favored affirmative action and Trump changed the subject.

Yep. Trump took evasive action. It occurs at about the one minute mark of this video.

When I pointed out that Trump had evaded questions the other day on Morning Joe, I was told that Trump was intelligent for evading "gotcha" questions.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 10:53:57 pm »
So it's Trump, Harry Reid, and Nancy Pelosi trashing Antonin Scalia. Got it.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 01:03:31 am »
I was surprised that Scalia would make the remarks he did publicly.

Not that I disagree with what he said. He's correct.

Again, just surprised that he said so openly.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 01:08:38 am »
I was surprised that Scalia would make the remarks he did publicly.

Not that I disagree with what he said. He's correct.

Again, just surprised that he said so openly.

Thomas Sowell's latest book "Wealth, Poverty, and Politics" backs up Scalia's comments with plenty of factual evidence.  Plus, Scalia was quoting from one of the briefs in the case.

The left gets its panties bunched up over affirmative action more than any other issue except guns.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 02:39:59 am »
Thomas Sowell's latest book "Wealth, Poverty, and Politics" backs up Scalia's comments with plenty of factual evidence.  Plus, Scalia was quoting from one of the briefs in the case.

The left gets its panties bunched up over affirmative action more than any other issue except guns.
When a guy like Scalia makes an assertion in the way he does, that blacks are too slow to keep up with the rigors of modern academia, it is a tall order in this society to be able to prove that. American society's natural instinct is to say that we are "created equal" and should be able to perform at similar rates. (That is a very good thing, and it also disproves the constant assertions by the likes of "Black Lives Matter" that such a mentality doesn't exist.)

If such a statement is provable, it does raise a LOT of questions: are we truly, physically speaking, equal? Is it racist to speak the truth about our differences and inequalities? If so, how do we do it in a way that is honest and fair, and can we find a way not to get offended? I don't think our society has the ability to do that.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 05:53:18 am »
jmyrle asks:
"If such a statement is provable, it does raise a LOT of questions: are we truly, physically speaking, equal?"

No.
To believe so is a beautiful dream, but it's only a dream.

"Is it racist to speak the truth about our differences and inequalities?"

No.
It's common sense to recognize what differences exist and learn how to manage them.

"If so, how do we do it in a way that is honest and fair, and can we find a way not to get offended?"

There's probably no way "to do it" that isn't going to offend others, particularly those who have limitations that prevent the groups to which they belong from achieving performance levels equal to "those who are considered privileged".

That's what happens when you mix together people who are different, yet expect them to "be equal".

Jefferson's dream in The Declaration was a noble one, but remember -- he was one of the first.... democrats.

Something called reality has since intervened.

And like Ayn Rand once said:
"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality"