Author Topic: After grumbling, Trump says he will participate in CNN debate  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

After grumbling, Trump says he will participate in CNN debate
« on: December 04, 2015, 04:50:26 am »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/after-grumbling-trump-says-he-will-participate-in-cnn-debate/2015/12/03/ce95e706-99eb-11e5-b499-76cbec161973_story.html

Donald Trump said Thursday that he is unexcited about the upcoming primary debate and irritated by CNN’s coverage of his campaign, but he confirmed that he will appear at the network’s GOP forum scheduled for Dec. 15 in Las Vegas.

“When you’re leading in the polls, I think it’s too big of a risk to not do the debate,” Trump said in an interview with The Washington Post at Trump National Golf Club in the Virginia suburbs west of Washington. “I don’t think I have the kind of leverage I’d like to have in a deal, and I don’t want to take the chance of hurting my campaign. So, I’ll do the debate.”

The Republican front-runner’s decision comes after days of hedging and complaints over the lack of compensation he has received for being a ratings boon for hosts of primary-season debates.

Over the weekend at a rally in Macon, Ga., he suggested that CNN should pay $5 million for him to appear.

CNN “doesn’t treat me properly,” Trump told the crowd there — and he might not “do the debate unless they pay me.”

“I’ve been talking to them,” Trump said Thursday. “CNN is going to make a fortune because of me. I would love to say, ‘Give $5 million to Wounded Warriors,’ ” a veterans group. “I still hope they do.”

But Trump acknowledged that his ability to force CNN’s hand is limited. He said the network’s ratings would probably suffer if he did not appear — and he would be criticized.
More at link...

What a negotiator!!!

Andrew Stiles ‏@AndrewStilesUSA 2h2 hours ago

Mexico is definitely watching this display of weakness. They might think twice before agreeing to pay for his wall. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 04:52:37 am by Once-Ler »

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: After grumbling, Trump says he will participate in CNN debate
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 06:53:18 am »
We knew he would.    And just so Wounded Warriors isn't out the 5 million, let me see Donald cut the check. That kind of money is nothing to the Trump.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 11:26:58 am »

A good negotiator has acute situational awareness. Once CNN's Jeff Zucker called Donald's bluff, Trump had no choice. His primary objective is to win the nomination, he had to stay engaged in the campaign. 

However, CNN could have negotiated a percentage of the increased ad revenue be donated. As it is CNN looks small – what? not even a percentage for wounded warriors?

---this just in---latest CNN poll: Donald Trump sits atop the GOP field with 36%. Ted Cruz is second with 16%.

Where was I?

Yes, I was about to say, Hillary must be kept out of the White House–a concept I heartily endorse–and I think Donald Trump is best positioned to accomplish that.

geronl

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 01:52:52 pm »
The clownish buffoon is turning into the Alex Jones candidate.

The Demcrats are praying that the Chump wins the nomination

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 02:19:12 pm »

If that's the case then why are they attacking him so vociferously, so fiercely. Why aren't they subtly assisting him by writing positive stories praising him?

A wise political observer once noted, if you want to know who the most threatening GOP presidential candidate is, look at who the democrats/media (one-in-the-same) focus their attacks upon. This will tell you who democrats are most afraid of. Let me help you: it's Donald Trump.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 02:35:14 pm »
Negotiator my A#%.    He throws it out to his adoring crowds who scream with excitement. Then he goes on a TV interview or two and repeats it. Then quietly backs away, from the story and from his statement.  Typical Trump. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 02:43:11 pm »
Negotiator my A#%.    He throws it out to his adoring crowds who scream with excitement. Then he goes on a TV interview or two and repeats it. Then quietly backs away, from the story and from his statement.  Typical Trump.

Nice try.

Donald Trump wrote the book on negotiation. His book The Art of the Deal was on the New York Times bestseller list for 51 weeks and is still being taught in business classes across America's colleges and universities.

Nice try. Got anything else?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 03:15:06 pm »
So much for negotiation.

Just like the Senate during the shutdown, he talked big, then caved at the first sign of resistance, claiming he had no leverage.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 03:42:45 pm »
Nice try.

Donald Trump wrote the book on negotiation. His book The Art of the Deal was on the New York Times bestseller list for 51 weeks and is still being taught in business classes across America's colleges and universities.

Nice try. Got anything else?

Yea, I got something else - if you think this went beyond a sound-bite and NBC took this threat serious in the very least - you are living in a fantasy world.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 03:54:12 pm »
A good negotiator has acute situational awareness. Once CNN's Jeff Zucker called Donald's bluff, Trump had no choice. His primary objective is to win the nomination, he had to stay engaged in the campaign. 

However, CNN could have negotiated a percentage of the increased ad revenue be donated. As it is CNN looks small – what? not even a percentage for wounded warriors?

---this just in---latest CNN poll: Donald Trump sits atop the GOP field with 36%. Ted Cruz is second with 16%.

Where was I?

Yes, I was about to say, Hillary must be kept out of the White House–a concept I heartily endorse–and I think Donald Trump is best positioned to accomplish that.

That poll is ridiculous.  The margin of error is 4.5%, which puts it right on the edge of being meaningless.

What that MOE means is that Cruz could be as high as 21% and Trump as low as 31%.  A ten percent gap, which seems more realistic given the other polls.

As to CNN "looking small," networks are not going to be pressured by candidates.  Period. Trump knew that going in, so this is just another chest-thumping exercise for him that makes HIM look small.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 03:55:26 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Relic

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 03:57:17 pm »
This is a weird dynamic going on here. I used to go to a site called... True Blue Liberty, I think that was the name. Anyway, the idea was to have a site that wasn't conservative or liberal, but had a mix of people to share their perspective.

It failed miserably.

Most of the threads were just like the Trump threads here. People not sharing thoughts but posting their belief without regard to replies. Most of these threads end up looking like:

IH8Trump: "Trump is an evil narcissist who will destroy the country"

ILuvTrump: "Trump is bold, he's the best, he'll save the country"

IH8Trump: "You're an idiot"

ILuvTrump: "You're a moron"

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 04:14:15 pm »
As usual Trump talks tough.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 04:16:09 pm »

Delusional. No I'm not referring to Donald Trump....

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 04:18:02 pm »
Delusional. No I'm not referring to Donald Trump....

You are if you think that Trump is going to win the general election and yes Trump is delusional as well.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline Longiron

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 04:19:26 pm »

They will not have to pray very hard for TRUMP to WIN.  :patriot: