Author Topic: Dems ready gun amendments to pressure GOP  (Read 539 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dems ready gun amendments to pressure GOP
« on: December 03, 2015, 07:45:56 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/gun-amendment-democrats-216389

Dems ready gun amendments to pressure GOP

By Burgess Everett and Seung Min Kim

12/03/15 10:54 AM EST

Updated 12/03/15 02:33 PM EST

Senate Democrats will offer a pair of gun-related amendments to a budget bill on Thursday, seeking to put Republicans on record on the charged issue in the aftermath of Wednesday’s mass shooting in California.

At a special caucus meeting on Thursday morning, Democratic senators agreed to offer legislation that would make it more difficult for people on the terrorism watch list to buy guns, and a re-vote on universal background checks that failed in 2013, senators and aides said. The votes could become major campaign fodder in next year’s Senate races.

"The entire country will know where every member of the Senate stands on tightening background checks, on keeping guns out of the hands of terrorists and on strengthening and improving mental health in this country," Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) said Thursday at a news conference detailing the strategy. "There are a good number — not all — but there are a good number of our Republican colleagues dreading these two votes. Dreading them."

A third amendment proposed by Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) that would restrict gun ownership for people convicted of intimidation at abortion clinics will not be offered, sources said. Democrats only want to a narrow list of amendments and that measure is viewed as overlapping with another amendment that would seek to strip out a provision defunding Planned Parenthood.

As he has done in the aftermath of massacres this year, Minority Leader Harry Reid took to the Senate floor on Thursday morning to chide his colleagues to “take a good, hard looking this morning, maybe in the mirror, and ask themselves: ‘Where do I stand?’” Reid oversaw the most serious effort in 2013 for new gun control legislation, which failed due to opposition from most Republicans and several pro-gun rights Democrats.

“We don’t do anything. We as the legislative body of this country do nothing. So I have a question for every member of this body: How can we live with ourselves for failing to do the things that will reduce gun violence?” Reid said. “We’re complicit through our inaction. And if we continue to fail to act, we’ll be complicit today and every day into the future.”

Schumer, Reid’s top messaging strategist, had planned to lead a news conference berating Republicans for using budget reconciliation to put an Obamacare repeal on the president's desk. But Democrats changed the topic of the event “to call for amendments to [the] reconciliation bill to address gun violence.”

Democrats believe the so-called terrorism “loophole” amendment may be the most popular of the proposals and are hoping to put vulnerable Republicans on record in the hopes of either criticizing them for not supporting the legislation or to tout its bipartisan support and call for an eventual binding vote.

"Members of Congress don’t get elected in order to send out sympathy tweets," Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) said. "Members of Congress get paid to change policy to make people safer ... in this Congress, we’re not even trying. We’re not even making an attempt. That’s offensive."

And Democrats want to see how incumbent GOP Sen. Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania will vote when presented with another Senate ballot on a background checks bill that he helped write.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

Re: Dems ready gun amendments to pressure GOP
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 09:05:53 pm »
they way they have given in to them, I won't hold my breath on the GOPe not letting Dems get these gun amendments.  **nononono*

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 09:11:40 pm »
Good, put them on record as realizing that "gun control" would NOT have prevented the recent mass shooting in California.  Perhaps the DEMS should also be informed that on Black Friday, before the shooting, there were a record number (185k) of background checks related to gun purchases.   Liberal mental midget mentality strikes once again.  I can't wait till this liberal lunacy ends.

Ted Cruz 2016!  Reigniting the Promise of America.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 09:22:07 pm »
they way they have given in to them, I won't hold my breath on the GOPe not letting Dems get these gun amendments.  **nononono*

Are you crazy?  The GOP will not vote for these amendments. 

Nobody is going to lose his/her seat over opposing gun control measures.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 09:26:21 pm »
Are you crazy?  The GOP will not vote for these amendments. 

Nobody is going to lose his/her seat over opposing gun control measures.

Sink, the gop has been out maneuvered again... vote for the budget or shut down the government....
They don't have the guts to stand up and say no....

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 09:42:28 pm »
Sink, the gop has been out maneuvered again... vote for the budget or shut down the government....
They don't have the guts to stand up and say no....

They won't vote in favor of the amendments.  These are show amendments, which is why the Dems are  saying "we are putting the GOP SEnators on the record."  These amendments have zero chance of being adopted.

The Dems have to strike while the bodies are still warm.  In a month, the country will return to the status quo, which is, no gun control.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 09:50:35 pm »
Are you crazy? 

Was this necessary? If it had never been posted would it have changed his argument at all? It is this constant need to include some kind of personal shot in so many of his posts that makes him so unpopular on here, and makes me question his mental outlook.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.