Author Topic: Ted Cruz is the sleeping giant in the Republican race  (Read 1507 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Ted Cruz is the sleeping giant in the Republican race
« on: December 02, 2015, 04:33:21 pm »
Donald Trump continues to dominate the Republican presidential race — in both polling and media attention. But in a new Quinnipiac University national poll on the 2016 field, it's Ted Cruz who looks like the candidate you may want to bet on.

Here's why.

In the ballot test, Cruz has 16 percent support — and is in a statistical tie for second place with Ben Carson and Marco Rubio. Carson is very much headed in the wrong direction; he was at 23 percent in a Q poll conducted a month ago and is down seven points. Rubio is moving in the right direction (up three points from last month, to 17 percent), as is Cruz (up three points). And, Cruz's trend line is quite clear and quite good. He was at 5 percent in a Q poll in late July, 7 percent in a September poll and 16 now. Trend lines matter more than anything else in national primary polling, and no one this side of Rubio has a better trend line than Cruz.

Dig deeper into the findings and things look even better for the senator from Texas. Although Cruz is at 16 percent among all Republicans, he runs significantly stronger among three subgroups: "very" conservative voters, tea party supporters and white born-again/evangelical voters. Those subgroups are also the three most important and powerful when it comes to deciding the GOP nominee in 2016.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/12/02/ted-cruz-is-the-sleeping-giant-in-the-republican-race/
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Ted Cruz is the sleeping giant in the Republican race
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 04:35:12 pm »
One for libertybelle.  :beer:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 05:05:01 pm »
Conservatives completely ignore the fact that by nominating the farthest right candidate, they reduce the probability of winning.

Call it the Barry Goldwater phenomenon. He won 38.5% of the votes, and only six states.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1964

Surveying all of the polls to date, Cruz does the worst of the various Republican candidates versus the democrat.

Cruz is doing well in only Iowa, which was previously won by President Huckabee, then President Santorum.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 05:10:19 pm »
Conservatives completely ignore the fact that by nominating the farthest right candidate, they reduce the probability of winning.

Call it the Barry Goldwater phenomenon. He won 38.5% of the votes, and only six states.

Surveying all of the polls to date, Cruz does the worst of the various Republican candidates versus the democrat.

Cruz is doing well in only Iowa, which was previously won by President Huckabee, then President Santorum.

YOU have drunk WAY to much of the establishment kool aid IMHO!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 05:48:32 pm »
One for libertybelle.  :beer:

:beer:  Thanks, I'm very happy right now!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 05:59:27 pm »

Yes, following that playbook got us GHWB, McCain, and then Romney.   No -wait, that didn't happen.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 06:39:49 pm »
YOU have drunk WAY to much of the establishment kool aid IMHO!

Yummy establishment kool aid. Love the stuff. Brewed and served by Eisenhower, Nixon, Bush I and Bush II.

And by today's standards, Reagan would be an unacceptable, establishment RINO. Amnesty, tax increases, walking away from Beirut (weak on terror), etc.

Contemporary "conservatives" live in a delusional fantasy world, thinking their numbers are far, far greater than they actually are.

Their latest excursion from reality is the notion that Donald Trump is their true savior, and he will ride in on his Really, really big, really, really rich White Horse and rescue them from the facts of demographics and national attitudes.

Conservatism is NOT a growth political philosophy in America, because there are no great salesmen/saleswomen.

Cruz preaches to the existing choir, but does NOT convert people. OTOH Trump, although NOT conservative, has the gift of persuasion.

Offline flowers

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 06:54:18 pm »
I like Cruz. First pick now. Don't like his TPP vote though.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 06:58:08 pm »
Yummy establishment kool aid. Love the stuff. Brewed and served by Eisenhower, Nixon, Bush I and Bush II.

"Cruz preaches to the existing choir, but does NOT convert people"...   If that were an accurate assumption, Cruz's poll numbers wouldn't have climbed landing him by some polls 2nd only to Trump and in others tied with Rubio.

Keep drinking the kool aid; I hear that it eases two common ailments; apathy and denial.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 07:00:21 pm »
I like Cruz. First pick now. Don't like his TPP vote though.

His TPP vote was in part due to the lies that McConnell fed him --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaWgFoVI4JU

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 07:13:32 pm »
"Cruz preaches to the existing choir, but does NOT convert people"...   If that were an accurate assumption, Cruz's poll numbers wouldn't have climbed landing him by some polls 2nd only to Trump and in others tied with Rubio.

Keep drinking the kool aid; I hear that it eases two common ailments; apathy and denial.
Iowa is a primary and caucus, for the Republican Party.

Obama won Iowa in 2012. My county has a population bigger than Iowa. Juggling votes between Cruz and Carson is NOT converting GREATER numbers of voters to conservatism, which is what I meant and you know that.

The "Q" poll out today finds AGAIN that Cruz polls the most poorly, against the democrats. Go to RCP to see for yourself.

I don't drink, but I do serve up STRONG MEDICINE, which contemporary conservatives forego, instead chugging down gallon after gallon of self-delusional DENIAL BREW.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/elections/
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:16:10 pm by truth_seeker »

Offline flowers

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 07:17:42 pm »

OK

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 07:23:13 pm »

Cruz WAS lied to.

I'll admit, I'd like it if he were to say "Sorry, I screwed up there" and took some of the blame. Only been one perfect guy ever - we wound up nailing him to a tree.

Offline Carling

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 07:27:32 pm »
Since I keep getting accused of being a Trump supporter, this seems like a good opportunity to say if I had to vote today, my vote would be for Ted Cruz.

I'll also note that I'd vote for Trump over Jeb Bush, if they were the only two choices.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 04:42:35 am »
Since I keep getting accused of being a Trump supporter, this seems like a good opportunity to say if I had to vote today, my vote would be for Ted Cruz.

I'll also note that I'd vote for Trump over Jeb Bush, if they were the only two choices.

I would probably choose trump over bush for the simple reason that I am even more sure Bush would lose the general election than I am sure Trump will.