Author Topic: Paul: Rubio Blocked Border Secuirty Amendment  (Read 1265 times)

Offline libertybele

Paul: Rubio Blocked Border Secuirty Amendment
« on: November 14, 2015, 10:19:16 pm »
Rubio has some serious liberal-biased issues in his record.  Amnesty is one of them. He is part of the establishment.  He does possess some positive qualities, but I would encourage those who really think he'd be great for the country to do some more research.  He sided with DEM Chuck Shumer yet again. 

Rand Paul: Rubio blocked my border security amendment

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) is blaming his Republican presidential rival, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), for blocking a border security amendment to an immigration bill two years ago.

Appearing at the Florida Republican Party’s Sunshine Summit in Orlando on Saturday, Paul said Friday’s attacks in Paris prove the need for better border security and enhanced monitoring of immigration and foreign visitors.

He said he tried to attach an amendment to a bipartisan immigration bill in 2013 doing just that, but the bill’s sponsors, led by Rubio and Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), blocked it.

“We let our guard down, but when I introduced my amendment to the immigration bill, unfortunately I got some opposition. Your senator, in fact, opposed me on this,” he told the crowd.

“I tried to pass something that I think was a conservative proposition to the immigration bill, that would have more scrutiny for refugees, for visitors, for students.”

Paul’s “trust but verify” amendment would have required Congress to vote on whether the border was sufficiently secure before allowing increased immigration. It would required the completion of a border fence and created a national identification card system for citizens.

The amendment hit the floor during Senate deliberations on the immigration bill in 2013, but senators voted 61-37 to table the provision. Rubio, and the other Republican members of the “Gang of Eight” that crafted the bill, voted against the measure.

“I think one of the lessons we should learn from the tragedy in Paris is that we have to be very careful, and very cautious — extraordinarily cautious — about who comes to visit, who immigrates here and who studies here,” Paul said.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/gop-primaries/260175-rand-paul-rubio-blocked-my-border-security-amendment

« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 10:20:44 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Paul: Rubio Blocked Border Secuirty Amendment
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 10:27:24 pm »
I figured Paul would do something like this because, with last night's attack in Paris, the bottom fell out of Rand Paul's campaign. His isolationist stance is now a farce.  He was laughed at last Tuesday for saying military strength should be first and foremost about MONEY, not about safety.

Paul opposes going after ISIS in any meaningful way in Iraq.  He's finished.

Rubio has a lot to answer for, immigration wise, but, as I recall, Ted Cruz has "come around" on his immigration stance too.

And none of the three of these men voted for Barack Obama seven years ago, as Donald Trump did.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 10:40:28 pm »
I figured Paul would do something like this because, with last night's attack in Paris, the bottom fell out of Rand Paul's campaign. His isolationist stance is now a farce.  He was laughed at last Tuesday for saying military strength should be first and foremost about MONEY, not about safety.

Paul opposes going after ISIS in any meaningful way in Iraq.  He's finished.

Rubio has a lot to answer for, immigration wise, but, as I recall, Ted Cruz has "come around" on his immigration stance too.

And none of the three of these men voted for Barack Obama seven years ago, as Donald Trump did.

I really liked Rand to begin with, but I just can't get past his isolationsit stance either.  I don't see this working against him, but rather for him.  The issue that needs to be made very clear is that Rubio is pro amnesty.  In addition there are some other disturbing liberal-biased votes by Rubio, in light of these votes, I don't see that he would have handled things much differently than the DEMS and Obama have on foreign affiars.

** Rubio voted in favor of confirming John Kerry as Secretary of State.  (Senate.gov) 

** Rubio called for arming Syrian rebels even though there was no clear U.S. interest at stake. (Politico)  Rubio introduced the Syria Democracy Transition Act, which outlined U.S. involvement to transfer power from the Assad family to a democratic state. (Govtrack)

** Rubio voted in favor of advancing the International Monetary Fund bailout attached to the Ukraine foreign aid bill in 2014. (Senate.gov) 

Rubio voted to block conservative amendments to the Iran Nuclear Agreement Review Act (Senate.gov)

- See more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/2016-presidential-candidates/candidates/marco-rubio#article-8
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 10:41:07 pm by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 10:46:04 pm »
On strong national security:

Rubio Si
Paul No

Comprende?

The libertarian isolationism of Sen. Paul is dead in the Atlantic waters,

Rubio has been for stronger military all along.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 10:54:12 pm »
I really liked Rand to begin with, but I just can't get past his isolationsit stance either.  I don't see this working against him, but rather for him.  The issue that needs to be made very clear is that Rubio is pro amnesty.  In addition there are some other disturbing liberal-biased votes by Rubio, in light of these votes, I don't see that he would have handled things much differently than the DEMS and Obama have on foreign affiars.

** Rubio voted in favor of confirming John Kerry as Secretary of State.  (Senate.gov) 

** Rubio called for arming Syrian rebels even though there was no clear U.S. interest at stake. (Politico)  Rubio introduced the Syria Democracy Transition Act, which outlined U.S. involvement to transfer power from the Assad family to a democratic state. (Govtrack)

** Rubio voted in favor of advancing the International Monetary Fund bailout attached to the Ukraine foreign aid bill in 2014. (Senate.gov) 

Rubio voted to block conservative amendments to the Iran Nuclear Agreement Review Act (Senate.gov)

- See more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/2016-presidential-candidates/candidates/marco-rubio#article-8

I'm in favor of IMF too, so that's not a big deal to me.  And I favored arming the Syrian Rebels. too.  The fact that Putin is bombing THEM, instead of ISIS, proves why this was a good thing.

Who did you think Obama was going to nominate for Sec. of State if Kerry had been voted down?  I think Kerry does less harm to the country in his largely-meaningless role than he would bloviating in the Senate.

As I said, Cruz has adjusted his immigration stance, too, and favors increasing H-1B dramatically, which I thought was anathema to anti-immigrant voters.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 11:59:55 pm »
On strong national security:

Rubio Si
Paul No

Comprende?

The libertarian isolationism of Sen. Paul is dead in the Atlantic waters,

Rubio has been for stronger military all along.

??? I just gave you several examples of how he is weak on national security. Anyone who is pro amnesty which threatens our sovereignty is weak on national security.  Anyone who would block CONSERVATIVE amendments to the Iran Nuke deal isn't doing what's in our best interest -- he is going along with the DEMS. For crying out loud he voted in favor of  confirming Kerry as Secretary of State!  Comprende?

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 12:10:17 am »
I'm not so sure where you're getting your info on Cruz and amnesty.  He's about the only one who has been fighting amnesty.  He is also for LEGAL immigration.

**Cruz introduced legislation blocking President Obama’s expansion of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Program. (GovTrack)

**Cruz introduced the Protect Children and Families Through the Rule of Law Act which would prevent the expansion of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program; reform the William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act so unaccompanied minors can be expeditiously united with their families back home; and take steps to ensure that state and local officials have the resources necessary to protect the people in their communities and secure the border. (GovTrack)

**Cruz led the opposition to the Gang of Eight amnesty bill in the Senate Judiciary Committee (Senate.gov) and voted against advancing the bill. (Senate.gov)

**After the president’s 2014 executive amnesty Cruz was one of the few Republicans to speak out about Republican’s need to keep their campaign promise. (Breitbart)

** During debate over a spending bill at the end of the 113th Congress’ Lame Duck session, Senators Cruz and Lee took to the floor of the Senate calling for a vote on President Obama’s illegal executive action on immigration. Cruz’s and Lee’s proposal did receive a vote, losing twenty Republicans in a 22-74 defeat. (Politico)

**Cruz was one the primary opponents to Loretta Lynch’s nomination. Not only did Cruz vote no on the important procedural vote to move the nomination forward, but he also actively took to the floor leading opposition. (Politico) (Senate.gov)

**Cruz said that he "absolutely" supports closing the birthright citizenship loophole. In 2011 he mentioned that conservatives should focus efforts on securing the border rather than closing the birthright citizenship loophole. It appears Cruz's has supported closing the birthright citizenship loophole, but has recently emphasized the need to do so. (Washington Examiner)

**On the Syrian refugee crisis Ted Cruz said, "in terms of settling the migrants, if the ultimate goal is to return them to their homes, which I believe it should be, it doesn’t make sense from a logistical or a security standpoint to move large numbers of them to far-off countries like the United States." (TedCruz.org)

** At the fourth GOP debate, Cruz gave one of the most succinct and powerful arguments against amnesty. Cruz said, "if republicans join democrats as the party of amnesty, we will lose. And, you know, I understand that when the mainstream media covers immigration, it doesn’t often see it as an economic issue. But, I can tell you for millions — of Americans at home watching this, it is a very personal economic issue. And, I will say the politics of it will be very, very different if a bunch of lawyers or bankers were crossing the Rio Grande. Or if a bunch of people with journalism degrees were coming over and driving down the wages in the press. Then, we would see stories about the economic calamity that is befalling our nation. And, I will say for those of us who believe people ‘ought to come to this country legally, and we should enforce the law, we’re tired of being told it’s anti-immigrant. It’s offensive…Every sovereign nation secures its borders, and it is not compassionate to say we’re not going to enforce the laws…" (TIME) new

End Obama's illegal amnesty via Congress' checks & balances:
Defund amnesty; and refuse any nominees until rescinded:
No path to citizenship for 1.65 million illegals in Texas:
Give police more power to ask about immigration status:
Boots on the ground, plus a wall:
Triple the size of the Border Patrol:2
Strengthen border security and increase enforcement:

http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Ted_Cruz.htm
- See more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/2016-presidential-candidates/candidates/ted-cruz#article-11

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 02:19:17 am »
If elected president, Marco Rubio will do as much for Americans regarding immigration and amnesty, as Andrea Merkel has done for the Germans...

Offline raml

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 03:34:27 am »
I can't stand Rubio he is so so rino.

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 03:35:37 am »

That's quite the compliment!

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 03:50:26 am »

Sorry Trump is the Ultimate RINO..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 03:51:12 am »
If elected president, Marco Rubio will do as much for Americans regarding immigration and amnesty, as Andrea Merkel has done for the Germans...

Bull...

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 03:52:52 am »
I'm not so sure where you're getting your info on Cruz and amnesty.  He's about the only one who has been fighting amnesty.  He is also for LEGAL immigration.

**Cruz introduced legislation blocking President Obama’s expansion of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Program. (GovTrack)

**Cruz introduced the Protect Children and Families Through the Rule of Law Act which would prevent the expansion of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program; reform the William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act so unaccompanied minors can be expeditiously united with their families back home; and take steps to ensure that state and local officials have the resources necessary to protect the people in their communities and secure the border. (GovTrack)

**Cruz led the opposition to the Gang of Eight amnesty bill in the Senate Judiciary Committee (Senate.gov) and voted against advancing the bill. (Senate.gov)

**After the president’s 2014 executive amnesty Cruz was one of the few Republicans to speak out about Republican’s need to keep their campaign promise. (Breitbart)

** During debate over a spending bill at the end of the 113th Congress’ Lame Duck session, Senators Cruz and Lee took to the floor of the Senate calling for a vote on President Obama’s illegal executive action on immigration. Cruz’s and Lee’s proposal did receive a vote, losing twenty Republicans in a 22-74 defeat. (Politico)

**Cruz was one the primary opponents to Loretta Lynch’s nomination. Not only did Cruz vote no on the important procedural vote to move the nomination forward, but he also actively took to the floor leading opposition. (Politico) (Senate.gov)

**Cruz said that he "absolutely" supports closing the birthright citizenship loophole. In 2011 he mentioned that conservatives should focus efforts on securing the border rather than closing the birthright citizenship loophole. It appears Cruz's has supported closing the birthright citizenship loophole, but has recently emphasized the need to do so. (Washington Examiner)

**On the Syrian refugee crisis Ted Cruz said, "in terms of settling the migrants, if the ultimate goal is to return them to their homes, which I believe it should be, it doesn’t make sense from a logistical or a security standpoint to move large numbers of them to far-off countries like the United States." (TedCruz.org)

** At the fourth GOP debate, Cruz gave one of the most succinct and powerful arguments against amnesty. Cruz said, "if republicans join democrats as the party of amnesty, we will lose. And, you know, I understand that when the mainstream media covers immigration, it doesn’t often see it as an economic issue. But, I can tell you for millions — of Americans at home watching this, it is a very personal economic issue. And, I will say the politics of it will be very, very different if a bunch of lawyers or bankers were crossing the Rio Grande. Or if a bunch of people with journalism degrees were coming over and driving down the wages in the press. Then, we would see stories about the economic calamity that is befalling our nation. And, I will say for those of us who believe people ‘ought to come to this country legally, and we should enforce the law, we’re tired of being told it’s anti-immigrant. It’s offensive…Every sovereign nation secures its borders, and it is not compassionate to say we’re not going to enforce the laws…" (TIME) new

- See more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/2016-presidential-candidates/candidates/ted-cruz#article-11

Funny, he was for it a couple years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0aGxiUm8w8

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 03:55:34 am »

Oh look another juicy tidbit: http://www.computerworld.com/article/2900126/ted-cruz-the-presidential-candidate-who-wants-to-increase-the-h-1b-cap-by-500.html

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2015, 03:56:28 am »

So are you going to sit at home and pout?? Not vote for him if he is the nominee?

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2015, 03:57:02 am »
So much for supporting Reagan's 11th Commandment..

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2015, 04:58:34 am »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2015, 12:33:29 pm »
Crying out loud open your eyes.  Rubio campaigned as anti-amnesty in order to get elected then very quickly turned pro amnesty. While in the Senate he has sided with and voted with the Democrats. He has voted against conservatives. With Rubio I have no doubt he will continue Obama's transformation to this country. Our borders will remain open, he will grant amnesty to 20,000,000 illegals and I have no doubt that he will allow over 100,000 refugees with an additional 85,000 refugees annually into this country.  RUBIO stands with the DEMOCRATS. Denial is one of the signs of apathy.  It is time to get motivated to save this country.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2015, 01:18:31 pm »

There's a truism in marketing that goes: if the consumer is made confused by a message, their mind will automatically switch to 'no'. In other words, a clear, consistent message wins the messaging effort and gets a favorable 'yes', in the mind of the recipient.

Rubio, unfortunately, has sent muddled, inconsistent messages on immigration. The mind switches over to 'no'.  **nononono*

It's unclear whether Rubio's strengths as a presidential candidate – young, attractive, articulate, conservative (mostly) – can overcome the 'no' in the mind of an electorate uneasy with global security threats and with this candidate's apparent embrace of an unlawful population of aliens (or if you prefer, people who are undocumented, dreamy-eyed, hard-working, foreign visitors – take your pick).

Rubio's presidential future remains questionable.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 01:19:29 pm »
There's a truism in marketing that goes: if the consumer is made confused by a message, their mind will automatically switch to 'no'. In other words, a clear, consistent message wins the messaging effort and gets a favorable 'yes', in the mind of the recipient.

Rubio, unfortunately, has sent muddled, inconsistent messages on immigration. The mind switches over to 'no'.  **nononono*

It's unclear whether Rubio's strengths as a presidential candidate – young, attractive, articulate, conservative (mostly) – can overcome the 'no' in the mind of an electorate uneasy with global security threats and with his apparent embrace of an unlawful population of aliens (or if you prefer, undocumented, dreamy-eyed, hard-working visitors – take your pick).

Rubio's presidential future remains questionable.

I agree with you ... keep in mind though that the GOPe lost their bet with Jeb and Rubio is the only one they have left. They are going to do everything to silence and attack Trump, Carson and Cruz and try to bring them down.  I read yesterday that the GOPe is in such a panic right now that they have asked Romney to reconsider. He again has declined.