Author Topic: Scientists spot the closest Earth-sized exoplanet yet  (Read 597 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Scientists spot the closest Earth-sized exoplanet yet
« on: November 12, 2015, 01:04:43 am »

Scientists have discovered an exoplanet named GJ 1132b, which is Earth-sized and rocky, orbiting a small star located just 39 light-years from Earth. But you wouldn’t want to live there.

Scientists have discovered a new exoplanet that, in the language of “Star Wars,” would be the polar opposite of frigid Hoth, and even more inhospitable than the deserts of Tatooine. But instead of residing in a galaxy far, far away, this new world is, galactically speaking, practically next door.

The new planet, named GJ 1132b, is Earth-sized and rocky, orbiting a small star located a mere 39 light-years from Earth, making it the closest Earth-sized exoplanet yet discovered.

Based on their measurements, the scientists have determined that the planet is a roasting 500° F (260° C), and it is likely tidally locked, meaning that it has a permanent day and night side — presenting the same face to its star, much like our Moon is locked to Earth.

Because of its scorching temperatures, GJ 1132b most likely cannot retain liquid water on its surface, making it uninhabitable for life as we know it. However, scientists say it is cool enough to host a substantial atmosphere.

The planet is also close enough to Earth that scientists may soon be able to find out much more about its characteristics, from the composition of its atmosphere to the pattern of its winds — and even the color of its sunsets.

Read More: http://www.interstellar-news.net/2015/11/scientists-spot-closest-earth-sized.html
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: Scientists spot the closest Earth-sized exoplanet yet
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 01:20:27 am »
Read about this earlier and was a little confused.

Why don't they say "Venus-like" planet? This rock and its sun are as far from being earth-like as can possibly be.

Me thinks the term earth-like is being misused intentionally for sensationalism.

Nothing more than that, IMO.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 01:33:59 am »
Read about this earlier and was a little confused.

Why don't they say "Venus-like" planet? This rock and its sun are as far from being earth-like as can possibly be.

Me thinks the term earth-like is being misused intentionally for sensationalism.

Nothing more than that, IMO.

In the big picture of things, Venus is very, very close to an earth like planet and but for a slight change in orbit or composition, could be almost identical in climate. That's why it is important because we are seeing things in a very similar size, in similar orbits now showing those planets are not just out there, but we now have the technology to detect them.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 01:49:55 am »
Ok, I get that. But this rock is closer to its sun than mercury, has a surface temperature of ~500°, and the sun is a red dwarf? This is their definition of Earth-like? Come on, really?

Why always Earth-like and never Venus-like?

You have to admit they are doing this on purpose.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.