Author Topic: Opinion: Sorry Trump, "Operation Wetback" Was a National Disgrace  (Read 3082 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Raul A. Reyes
NBC News
November 11, 2015

... Although Trump glibly describes "Operation Wetback" as moving undocumented immigrants "waaay south," this program was at best inhumane and at worst horrific. Back then, the government rounded up suspected undocumented immigrants and sent them deep into the Mexican interior, where they were abandoned with next to nothing. The transports across the border were reportedly "indescribable scenes of human misery and tragedy." In one instance, 88 deportees died from heat stroke in the desert. Other deportees were sent to the Mexican Gulf Coast by ship, in vessels described by historians as an "eighteenth century slave ship" or "penal hell ship." ...
Full article

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Opinion: Sorry Trump, "Operation Wetback" Was a National Disgrace
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 09:29:17 pm »

I'm thinking if you tell them we're going to do that... a bunch of them will find their own way back home...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 09:39:53 pm »
Opinion: Sorry Trump, "Operation Wetback" Was a National Disgrace

Of course it was - to Mexico.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 10:26:28 pm »

I'm thinking if you tell them we're going to do that... a bunch of them will find their own way back home...

Especially if we simply cease support, benefits and any incentives for illegal aliens to be here

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 10:28:46 pm »
Especially if we simply cease support, benefits and any incentives for illegal aliens to be here

Exactly!  Isn't that how we created the problem?

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 10:31:59 pm »
Raul A. Reyes
NBC News
November 11, 2015
Full article

Wow. Enforcing the law is a "disgrace". Curious if this reporter would say the same thing to every other nation in the world, all of whom have MUCH tougher immigration enforcement and laws then the USA does.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 10:33:57 pm »
Raul A. Reyes
NBC News
November 11, 2015
Full article

indescribable scenes of human misery and tragedy

Source for this claim? Given the habitual lying for political reasons we seen in the US Media over the last 20 years, they are no longer credit sources of fact.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 10:39:45 pm »

This won't happen. The courts will shoot any such attempt down.

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 11:19:03 pm »
This site is no longer credible while members, owners, and mods quote and post from KNOWN biased and questionable media sources such as NBC News, Politico, The Hill, Washington Post, NY Times.  Such  posts are intended to increase traffic and dissent.

You are a closed society--good friends, more than likely.  Wake UP

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 11:24:58 pm »
This site is no longer credible while members, owners, and mods quote and post from KNOWN biased and questionable media sources such as NBC News, Politico, The Hill, Washington Post, NY Times.  Such  posts are intended to increase traffic and dissent.

THey're no more questionable than The New American and some of those goofy conspiracy sites that one particular poster puts up on a regular basis.

It takes all kinds to make for vigorous debate, so let's not try to shoehorn GBR into some kind of TOS-like site that limits what's put up.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 11:34:59 pm »

What is a good source? Wing Nut Daily?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 11:37:40 pm »
What is a good source? Wing Nut Daily?

Wing Nut Daily, Brietbart, and barbwire.com.   Oh and the Birchite New American.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 11:41:07 pm »

:thumbsup2:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 11:48:37 pm »

When American citizens start roofing houses, doing lawn work, painting, and washing dishes for the same amount of money illegals work for, the illegals will be gone.

Nobody believes that's suddenly going to happen, so there will always be an incentive for illegals to stay.  The GOP just has to figure out how to pass a guest worker program that basically allows illegals to stay here and work.  That's all they want.  The vast majority don't want citizenship.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 12:08:30 am »
NBC news: where straight, white, tax-paying Americans are second class citizens, good only for paying for the social services provided free to illegal aliens and who constitute the most pressing problem facing America today, next to Christianity.

NBC news to Americans: "hey, pay up and shut up. Don't you know that the donor class depends on the importation of cheap peasant labor? How do you expect us to afford to buy our next Lear jet if we can't exploit Mexican peasants?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 12:36:14 am »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 12:41:01 am »
This won't happen. The courts will shoot any such attempt down.

And the courts are now King of America?  I don't think so!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 12:50:40 am »
Only 11 percent of Hispanics like Trump: poll

http://nypost.com/2015/10/26/only-11-percent-of-hispanics-like-trump-poll/

Trump is constantly touting his support among Hispanics, as if his saying so makes it so.

He is despised by Hispanics and would lose in Goldwater proportions if he won the nomination.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 01:06:12 am »
And the courts are now King of America?  I don't think so!

Unfortunately they act like it.  All you need is for those rounded up to start saying they are US citizens. At that point, the onus of proof is on the government (due process) to show otherwise. They just need to say, 'I am a US Citizen and I won't answer questions and I demand a lawyer'.  Now they are in the legal system and the government has to formally charge them in order to detain them, which involves showing proof they are not a citizen but in the country illegally.   As I pointed out last night, there are 200 immigration judges in the US right now. They handle approximately 1500 cases per year. Divide that by 15 million illegal aliens and at that rate, without increasing the size of government drastically, it would take ten thousand years to process all of them.

It is not as easy as 'round them up and ship them off' as some politicians claim, even if that is ideally what would happen.

Ike and Truman did it without social media or social justice warriors taking every case. They also did it with an illegal population who came under much friendlier circumstances during WWII when they were coming to help and we welcomed them through a 'look the other way' policy. (and even then, the deportations were controversial as many were just trucked down and dumped in the middle of Mexico far away from their homes without the permission of the government there).

I don't have the answer. What I'm saying is that anyone who promises to 'round them up and ship them off' in two years (or four or a decade) without creating an unconstitutional police state is as full of s*** as Bernie Sanders promising free houses and free college.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 01:11:14 am »
Trump himself knows he can't do what he says he wants to do, which is another reason why I can't stand the sonofabitch.

He's a PT Barnum, blatantly lying to the suckers who lap up his every word.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 01:13:41 am »
Unfortunately they act like it.  All you need is for those rounded up to start saying they are US citizens. At that point, the onus of proof is on the government (due process) to show otherwise. They just need to say, 'I am a US Citizen and I won't answer questions and I demand a lawyer'.  Now they are in the legal system and the government has to formally charge them in order to detain them, which involves showing proof they are not a citizen but in the country illegally.   As I pointed out last night, there are 200 immigration judges in the US right now. They handle approximately 1500 cases per year. Divide that by 15 million illegal aliens and at that rate, without increasing the size of government drastically, it would take ten thousand years to process all of them.

It is not as easy as 'round them up and ship them off' as some politicians claim, even if that is ideally what would happen.

Ike and Truman did it without social media or social justice warriors taking every case. They also did it with an illegal population who came under much friendlier circumstances during WWII when they were coming to help and we welcomed them through a 'look the other way' policy. (and even then, the deportations were controversial as many were just trucked down and dumped in the middle of Mexico far away from their homes without the permission of the government there).

I don't have the answer. What I'm saying is that anyone who promises to 'round them up and ship them off' in two years (or four or a decade) without creating an unconstitutional police state is as full of s*** as Bernie Sanders promising free houses and free college.

We don't need to round up or move anyone! All we need to do is turn off the damned magnets that bring them here and they will leave on their own!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 01:27:39 am »
We don't need to round up or move anyone! All we need to do is turn off the damned magnets that bring them here and they will leave on their own!

I agree with this.

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 01:32:59 am »
Wing Nut Daily, Brietbart, and barbwire.com.   Oh and the Birchite New American.

When was it that NBC News suddenly became a trusted source for political
information?  When did you stop using your own brain?

Offline Paladin

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2015, 02:10:16 am »
"the government rounded up suspected undocumented immigrants and sent them deep into the Mexican interior, where they were abandoned with next to nothing. The transports across the border were reportedly "indescribable scenes of human misery and tragedy." In one instance, 88 deportees died from heat stroke in the desert"

Sounds to me like the failure was that of the Mexican govt, not the Eisenhower admin. Why didn't they take responsibility for their own people?

Interestingly enough, I was just reading a commentary on "Operation Wetback" (not its real name, btw) which pointed out that the desert in which the illegals were callously and cruelly "dumped" was "the desert the illegals chose to cross to get into the U.S."
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 02:45:02 am by Paladin »
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2015, 03:39:29 am »
From the article:
"Other deportees were sent to the Mexican Gulf Coast by ship, in vessels described by historians as an "eighteenth century slave ship" or "penal hell ship." ..."

I will applaud and cheer as loudly as my lungs will permit when they bring something like this back: