Author Topic: Carson backs Puerto Rican statehood  (Read 890 times)

Offline flowers

Carson backs Puerto Rican statehood
« on: November 09, 2015, 07:22:25 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/259506-carson-backs-puerto-rican-statehood

Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson officially backed Puerto Rican statehood in a speech on the island on Sunday.

“In a Carson administration, I will leave no stone unturned in my efforts to secure this important step in Puerto Rico’s history — establishing Estado 51,” Carson said, according to CNN.

ADVERTISEMENT
Carson said he viewed the issue of statehood as “settled,” the news network added, referring to a referendum to join the union backed by a majority of Puerto Rican citizens in 2012.

“Mis hermanos Americanos,” Carson reportedly said, “my campaign is built around the premise of ‘We the people,’ and through such lens, I view the statehood question in Puerto Rico as settled.”

The Carson campaign estimated that 3,500 people attended the rally for the pro-statehood New Progressive Party.

Other Republican candidates for president, such as fo

Offline MBB1984

Re: Carson backs Puerto Rican statehood
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 07:30:22 pm »
Ben is right.  We need two more extreme liberal Senators in DC immediately.  Ben Carson needs to rejoin his old party.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 08:01:06 pm »
This is a duplicate thread so you probably missed the fact that Carson is not the only candidate that would support statehood, and that Ronald Reagan also supported it.

Puerto Rico and Statehood   By Ronald Reagan
When I formally announced my intention to seek the Republican presidential nomination in 1980, my televised speech to the nation included a commitment to not only support statehood for Puerto Rico if the people of the island Commonwealth desired statehood. It also included a commitment that as President, I would initiate statehood legislation which really means that I would take the lead n persuading the people of Puerto Rico - the mainland United States - all American citizens - that statehood would be good for all of us......

http://www.puertoricoreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/President-Reagan-Puerto-Rico-Statehood.pdf
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 10:20:39 pm »
Puerto Rico is in far worse situation now than then.  Regardless, Puerto Rican statehood is a blessing only for leftists.   

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 10:50:55 pm »
Puerto Rico wants to file for bankruptcy.  Guess who gets to cover those debts? 

It would be the height of idiocy to approve statehood for Puerto Rico.  Carson and Rubio are pandering over this issue.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 11:28:42 pm »
OH OH!   NavyCanDo sure knows how to end a good time. Careful where you throw stones Trumpsters.  What Trump said about DC statehood back in August is no different than what Carson and a few other candidates have said about Puerto Rico. Where was your criticism then?

DC Statehood Movement Finds Unlikely Ally In Donald Trump

http://dailycaller.com/2015/08/17/dc-statehood-movement-finds-unlikely-ally-in-donald-trump-video/

Donald Trump really enjoys the people of Washington, D.C. In fact, he thinks they are “really special people.” He loves them so much that, if elected president, he would give them a state of their own.

The Republican presidential front-runner told Chuck Todd that should he become president, he would be totally okay with the District of Columbia becoming the 51st state.

While Trump wouldn’t go so far as to say he supported D.C. statehood, he said he would do whatever is best for the people of the district.

“I would like to do whatever is good for the District of Columbia because I love the people,” Trump said on NBC’s “Meet the Press” Sunday. “You know, it’s funny. I’ve really gotten to know the people, the representatives, and the mayor, and everybody. They’re really special people. They’re great. And they have a great feeling.”

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 12:09:45 am by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 12:24:57 am »
Puerto Rico wants to file for bankruptcy.  Guess who gets to cover those debts? 

It would be the height of idiocy to approve statehood for Puerto Rico.  Carson and Rubio are pandering over this issue.

Hmm as a territory the Fed Govt is on the hook all ready. However a STATE cannot claim Bankruptcy

What if Your State Goes Bankrupt?

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/state-bankruptcy-change-life-public-pensioners-bond-holders/story?id=12732137

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 02:38:01 am »
The question is, would he support allowing upstate New York to break free from New York City, or any number of other proposals to break the cities' influence on whole states? That would balance any senatorial advantage, and it's a trick that's been around since they split the Dakota territory into two.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 02:40:18 am »
How would a 51st star fit on the flag?

Offline Carling

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 03:08:11 am »
How would a 51st star fit on the flag?

Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Carling

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 03:09:40 am »
While Trump wouldn’t go so far as to say he supported D.C. statehood, he said he would do whatever is best for the people of the district.

:shrug:

Carson explicitly endorsed statehood for PR.  Trump didn't for DC, so it's a bad comparison.

On a side note, all of this Trump Derangement Syndrome make me investigate him, and I happen to agree largely with his recent policy papers on the 2nd Amendment as well at the tax code.

I'm not supporting him, but there is some substance that is slowly seeing the light of day.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 03:12:29 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 03:14:57 am »
Ben is right.  We need two more extreme liberal Senators in DC immediately.  Ben Carson needs to rejoin his old party.

The Independent party?

Hmm I guess Ronald Reagan better also do that

When I formally announced my intention to seek the Republican presidential nomination in 1980, my televised speech to the nation included a commitment to not only support statehood for Puerto Rico if the people of the island Commonwealth desired statehood. It also included a commitment that as President, I would initiate statehood legislation which really means that I would take the lead n persuading the people of Puerto Rico - the mainland United States - all American citizens - that statehood would be good for all of us......

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 03:25:38 am »
The Independent party?

Hmm I guess Ronald Reagan better also do that

Ronald Reagan also raised taxes three times and turned tail and ran when 240 Marines were murdered in Lebanon.  So he made his share of mistakes, and supporting statehood for what would be a solidly Democrat state was dumb then and it's even dumber now.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Oceander

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 03:58:42 am »
It's perfectly OK for a Republican to back Puerto Rico statehood, and it's perfectly OK for the rest of us to tell them they're crazy.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 03:59:03 am by Scottftlc »
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan