Author Topic: Donald Trump gives SNL its biggest ratings in years  (Read 713 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Donald Trump gives SNL its biggest ratings in years
« on: November 08, 2015, 04:06:38 pm »
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/08/donald-trump-snl-ratings

Donald Trump gives SNL its biggest ratings in years

by James Hibberd • @JamesHibberd

Saturday Night Live

Posted November 8 2015 — 10:32 AM EST

Trump is still bringing the bump.

With Donald Trump hosting, Saturday Night Live jumped to its biggest overnight rating since 2012.

According to NBC, SNL had a whopping 6.6 household rating on Saturday night, easily beating the season’s previous high: the 41st season premiere last month, hosted by Miley Cyrus and with a guest appearance by none other than … Hillary Clinton. In fact, Trump’s overnight rating was 47 percent higher than the Miley/Hillary episode.

The previous high was held by an episode that aired Jan. 7, 2012, hosted by Charles Barkley with musical guest Kelly Clarkson.

Saturday night marked the Republican presidential hopeful’s second time hosting the iconic late-night series. He previously acted as host in 2004 when Trump was still the host of NBC’s The Apprentice.

Trump was pretty confident he’d boost SNL’s numbers. “I get the best ratings,” he reportedly said when asked about the appearance.

The actual number of SNL viewers will be available later in the week. But for point of comparison, the season premiere delivered 6.3 million viewers, so Trump’s episode could be close to 10 million.

Trump, who continues to lead the GOP primary polls, previously fueled an August debate on Fox News Channel to a record 24 million viewers. A September debate on CNN drew an also impressive 23 million viewers.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Donald Trump gives SNL its biggest ratings in years
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 04:20:24 pm »
I never watch SNL, but I watched last night to see Donald Trump.  I thought he did great and I laughed a lot - he really is funny!  He's extremely comfortable in front of the camera and not afraid to make fun of himself.  He was great without attacking any of his opponents.  I'm thinking he endeared himself to a mostly younger crowd.  I think a President Trump would not take himself too seriously.  I wonder if anyone else here saw it?

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 04:21:00 pm »
They hyped up the controversy like a WWE scripted storyline but in the end, it was really lame. Nothing controversial. The only real funny skit Trump wasn't in, but they were making fun Hillary's ever changing accents and Sanders crazy old guy ramblings.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 04:30:06 pm »
I wonder if anyone else here saw it?

I did and for today's version of SNL it was pretty good.  Trump is definitely in his element on camera.

But here in this forum minds are made up and no one looks at anything Trump with an open mind.  Opinions are formed harder than Dick Cheney's arteries and no one shows any flexibility of mind...
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 05:02:45 pm »
I did and for today's version of SNL it was pretty good.  Trump is definitely in his element on camera.

But here in this forum minds are made up and no one looks at anything Trump with an open mind.  Opinions are formed harder than Dick Cheney's arteries and no one shows any flexibility of mind...

I agree with you Scott. 

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 05:12:05 pm »
I did and for today's version of SNL it was pretty good. 
Agreed.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Ph82UNnNg
Really funny.  The Melania for first lady skit was pretty good too. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tFm2a5dnkY

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 05:19:45 pm »
Since this is categorized in 'Entertainment', let me assure you all I have been greatly entertained here each day in the forum.

All that effort from you guyz....day in and day out...and he just keeps winning!   

...may the Guardian Angel Gabriel protect and keep him, Amen!    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 05:20:30 pm »
Agreed.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Ph82UNnNg
Really funny.  The Melania for first lady skit was pretty good too. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tFm2a5dnkY

Those were funny!  I loved it when the Mexican president brought Trump a check for "the wall"!

:silly: :silly: :silly:

Offline alicewonders

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 05:48:02 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2015/11/08/gut-check-a-fast-and-sloppy-review-of-trumps-saturday-night-live/

Gut Check: A Fast and Sloppy Review of Trump’s Saturday Night Live

Greg Gutfeld

Donald Trump’s hosting gig was neither a big win or a horrible loss for DT–which ultimately makes it a victory for him. Some thoughts:

-If you haven’t watched SNL in a while, you might have been confused. After decades of practice, you’d think it’d be a well-oiled machine, but it’s still a slapped together mess–proof that they write and rewrite the sketches up till the end. The only polish comes in the pre-produced segments. Everything else seems chaotic and rushed…

-Until Donald enters, and slows it all down to a stilted manufactured cameo. It’s not the fault of anyone in particular. Watch the show, and you can sense the deal that was made: Donald will appear briefly in skits, get to review of script, there will be no heavy lifting, only a bare minimum (if any) of rehearsal, and Ivanka gets invited. Which makes perfect sense: He is running for President, after all. But it was clear Donald loomed larger than the ensemble – in fact, the show. Which is why…

-The actors at times seemed awkward or distracted. Generally, everyone can be caught once in a while reading the cue cards, but here, it was constant. Perhaps because…

-The writing seemed deliberately muted. As if no one wanted the show to be great as the show could be–because it might help Trump. On twitter, I compared it to the cook at a restaurant seeing someone they hate (maybe a hated celebrity or politician) enter his dining establishment, so he spits in the food. Could the writers have tried to produce sub-mediocre pap to sabotage Trump’s gig? Who knows? But maybe it’s a better excuse for the writers, than saying they suck. Because some of the material given to Trump (and the other actors) was astoundingly bad.

-Sadly, on Twitter, hardcore Trump fans, tricked by that mentality you find in sports fan who call into radio shows at 2 am, maintained everything that DT did was “hilarious!” But again, that’s a disservice to their guy. The whole show was a downer because Trump was kept on a leash (perhaps one he provided through a strict page of restrictions he provided, and a defiant writing staff), when we all know Donald is way better just winging it. He’s funnier, on his own, than even the stale scripted impersonations, which merely marry parroting catch phrases to exaggerated mannerisms. But point out that the show was at times insufferable, and Trump fans wail–not knowing that the joke is on them for blindly accepting an endeavor calculated to harm their idol. Trump only gets better under the heat of criticism.

-The only thing trending about the show on Twitter wasn’t Donald or SNL, but Larry David, for the line of the night. We don’t know if Larry meant it when he said the “you’re racist” line–it was, after all, playing off the heckling challenge premise. But his befuddled but disappointed look at the end of the show implied something other than joy from a job well done. But, then again, that’s how he always looks.

-The upside is that finally Republicans have candidates (not just Trump) who can swim through the pools of pop culture without looking like idiots–even when those providing the water try their darnedest to make it appear that way.

Trump walked away without a bruise–and those at home watching went to bed unencumbered by that pleasant exhaustion brought on by laughter.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 06:16:43 pm »
We don’t know if Larry meant it when he said the “you’re racist” line–it was, after all, playing off the heckling challenge premise.

Seriously, people actually didn't think Larry David's line wasn't scripted and planned from start to finish simply because of that challenge (at that, how much of that challenge was propped up just to get the car accident ratings?)  Besides being very obviously scripted, Larry David, even if he is a lib, is a experienced entertainment professional who wouldn't go off the cuff like that. Plus, they had the cameras already on him, the proper lighting and sound, and the cutaways and cut backs were perfectly timed.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 02:09:50 am »
Now I remember why I have not watched SNL since Belushi died. This is not the same level of comedy that I enjoyed in the 70s, and I'm not going to blame Trump. The skits were not well written. And the music - holy crap!   The two-girl musical group who I never heard of, that Donald introduced was the funniest part of the show. SNL even back in the 70s & 80s had some pretty awful and sometimes strange bands, but last night was the winner hands down.   Maybe some of you younger people know who this group was, but they sure made me glad to have grown up in the 60s & 70s
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn