Author Topic: Trump Fires Off Hot Takes on GOP Rivals, Yellen, Putin, and Saturday Night Live  (Read 460 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/11/03/trump-fires-off-hot-takes-gop-yellen-putin-saturdaynightlive/
Former Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump put out a new book Tuesday, entitled “Crippled America: How to Make America Great Again,” his blueprint for how he’d pull America out of the pit of despair he believes it has fallen into. Ever the showman, Trump used the occasion of the book’s launch to attack the media, his GOP rivals, and Fed chief Janet Yellen then rifted on a host of issues in a way only he can.

Taking questions Tuesday for about half an hour in a New York tower that bears his name, Trump took aim at Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, a potential threat that has been rising in the polls in recent weeks. The real estate mogul said Rubio “lives above his means,” referring to the senator’s spotty personal finance record, which includes facing foreclosure on a home in Florida and his heavily taxed withdraw from a retirement account.

The Donald also hit out at surgeon Ben Carson, who has recently overtaken Trump in a handful of national polls. “You look at Ben, very weak on illegal immigration, and Ben wants to get rid of Medicare,” Trump said.

Neither Carson’s nor Rubio’s campaigns responded to a request for comment on Trump’s remarks.

Trump then repeated his threat to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, something he said he would make Mexico finance. “Walls work,” Trump said. “All you have to do is ask Israel.”

Trump also turned his rancor on CNBC anchor John Harwood, who has been criticized for what the GOP field considered unfair questions during last week’s debate. “You don’t want people like Harwood that reads a question, buh, buh buh, that he carefully wrote.… In my opinion, his career is probably ruined or certainly threatened.”

The press conference underscored the likelihood that, as he continues his run for the presidency, measured and often cagey answers will not be Trump’s hallmark when talking to the media. He fired off hot takes on a host of issues, including:

–The U.S. relationship with Russia: “We will have a very good relationship, I think, with Russia. Maybe we won’t. I believe that I will have a very good relationship with [Russian President Vladimir] Putin.”

–On Fed chief Yellen’s refusal to raise interest rates, something expected since March 2015: President Barack “Obama told her not to because he wants to be out playing golf in a year from now, and he wants to be doing other things, and he doesn’t want to see a big bubble burst during his administration.”

–On equal pay for women in the workplace: Trump said he often pays his female employees more than their male counterparts. “Women have always appreciated that about me.”

–When asked a question by a French journalist, Trump said this of the relationship between Paris and Washington: “We don’t have to worry about the French right now.”

–On his record creating jobs: “I’m a job machine.”

–On his economic record: “Nobody on the economy is even close.”

–On the Democratic front-runner: “Beating Hillary Clinton is going to be easy, because her record is so bad.”

–On his upcoming appearance on Saturday Night Live: “I’m meeting with Lorne Michaels in a little while. We’ll start the preparation.” Trump added he’s “not too nervous.”

–On whether he’ll do an impression of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, another candidate he’s running well ahead of, during the SNL show: “I don’t like showing a person sleeping at the podium.”

–On “Sarah,” a reporter for CNN: “Terrific person.”

–On why he will win the White House: “I’m going to make America great again. Nobody else is going to be able to do that,” Trump said. “I’m going to make it, in my opinion, better than ever before. I think that’s awfully tough to compete with.”

–The U.S. relationship with Russia: “We will have a very good relationship, I think, with Russia. Maybe we won’t. I believe that I will have a very good relationship with [Russian President Vladimir] Putin.”

This guy is very smart, as he often points out himself.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Doesn't he realize that, to Putin, he's just another oligarch? One to be kept in line with carrots or sticks.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
I think Trump is correct about Carson. As of right now, it looks like we will soon have a debate with those left standing; Trump, Carson, Rubio and Cruz.  Imagine the four of them in a debate.  Based on his demeanor, lack of political experience and even business experience Carson will not only lose but it will become apparent he is not fit to be president; ideas are one thing but having done something to back them up is quite another. Trump, will put on a great show, he will of course bring up his business experience, and claim he will make this country great again, but he has to be able to explain the "hows" and "whys" and  I don't think he will be able to compete with the personalities of Rubio and Cruz. So that leaves Rubio and Cruz.  Of the two so far Rubio has displayed perhaps more charisma, but Cruz without a doubt has the better record of standing up to Washington, standing up for the people, definitely more experienced, far more educated and his debating skills are superior. Cruz also possess a very unique trait; “audiographic memory”. That is, Cruz can remember everything he hears in conversation and recall it verbatim.

Read more: http://controversialtimes.com/politics/ted-cruz-has-a-very-rare-memory-trait-that-could-be-extremely-valuable-as-president/#ixzz3qWJG4G4j
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 11:14:51 am by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Sadly, a fair assessment.

Don't get me wrong, Rubio will make a fine President. Cruz will make a fine (if slightly uncomfortable) President. But I LIKE Carson, dammit!
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline sinkspur

Late last night, Trump retweeted a post featuring Jeb Bush photoshopped in a somebrero and another with Jeb standing next to a swastika.  Look for him to blame an intern.

THIS is the man some on here support.  He's a filthy, disgusting, hit-below-the-belt cretin whose personal attacks are becoming more vicious.  When do Republicans wake up and kick this bastard to the curb?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.