Author Topic: Obama order will force government to hire ex-cons  (Read 2286 times)

rangerrebew

Obama order will force government to hire ex-cons
« on: November 02, 2015, 10:57:36 pm »
Obama order will force government to hire ex-cons
'Ban the box' measure follows massive prisoner release
Published: 57 mins ago

The Obama administration has a two-pronged approach to handing federal inmates: Release them and then make it easier for ex-convicts to work for the government.

Obama’s “ban the box” executive orders announced Monday follow a massive release of up to 6,000 convicted drug felons Nov. 1. The measures delay the ability of federal hiring personnel and federal contractors to find out if job applicants have a criminal record.

“The president has called on Congress to follow a growing number of states, cities, and private companies that have decided to ‘ban the box’ on job applications. We are encouraged that Congress is considering bipartisan legislation that would ‘ban the box’ for federal hiring and hiring by federal contractors,” the White House said in a statement. “In the meantime, the president is directing the Office of Personnel Management to take action where it can by modifying its rules to delay inquiries into criminal history until later in the hiring process.”

Changes in federal sentencing rules for drug crimes made by the U.S. Sentencing Commission in 2014 may eventually free up to 46,000 inmates, the Wall Street Journal reported Oct. 6. The White House maintains it is only freeing nonviolent offenders (mostly from California, Florida, Illinois, North Carolina and Texas).

“We’re fooling the public when we tell them we’re releasing nonviolent drug offenders,” Steven Cook, head of the National Association of Assistant U.S. Attorneys, told Politico on Monday.

Get the details on Obama’s activities in “The People vs. Barack Obama: The Criminal Case Against the Obama Administration.”

The Bureau of Justice Statistics reports recidivism rates at 68 percent within three years and 77 percent within five years, Breitbart News reported Monday.

Those statistics may be why a prison reform bill is stalled in the U.S. Senate.

“When police officers across this country are under assault right now, are being vilified, when we’re seeing violent crime spiking in our cities across the country, I think it would be a serious mistake for the Senate to pass legislation providing for 7,082 convicted criminals potentially to be released early,” Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, said Monday, Politico reported.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2015/11/obama-order-will-force-government-to-hire-ex-cons/#ebwhALA8EGrsl5pu.99

Online mountaineer

Re: Obama order will force government to hire ex-cons
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 11:52:59 pm »
You hire them, Barry. Make sure they're working at the White House in close proximity to Malia and Sasha.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 11:57:45 pm »
The Bureau of Justice Statistics reports recidivism rates at 68 percent within three years and 77 percent within five years, Breitbart News reported Monday.

Those statistics may be why a prison reform bill is stalled in the U.S. Senate.

Kind of hard NOT to go back to dealing (and using) when you can't get a damned job.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 12:00:54 am »
Kind of hard NOT to go back to dealing (and using) when you can't get a damned job.  :shrug:

Or to end up on welfare and food stamps. I believe people deserve a second chance to get it right.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 12:21:44 am »
Or to end up on welfare and food stamps. I believe people deserve a second chance to get it right.

I'm with you on this one. However, the stats of those who have served their time isn't good; a large percentage of them will wind up right back in prison as many of them can't find any type of employment.  Many may have good intentions and don't want to go back to prison but many seem to have to resort to the same criminal activity that got them in trouble in the first place in order to survive. It's very sad really. There needs to be some type of mandated work release program of some sort after they have served their time before being released back into society.  Maybe I'm wrong, but with the statistics indicating a vast majority wind up back in prison, it sure doesn't see like there is much of a rehabilitation program.  But then again, there aren't a whole lot of jobs for non-offenders either.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 12:24:10 am by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 12:30:27 am »

Is the government going to indemnify those agencies that hire felons who just can't resist going back to their former way of life and they harm someone?

The first question an interviewer should ask is "Why is it that your last job was ten years ago?"  Government jobs pay pretty well, and it appears that Obama and the left want to populate those positions with convicts.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 12:33:04 am »
And before anybody jumps down my throat, I have a felon working for me. It was a DUI nine years ago and this person has been sober for all of those nine years.  A model employee who has been a tremendous contributor.

Just don't tell me I HAVE to hire felons or give me a quota of felons.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 12:33:42 am by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 12:41:29 am »
And before anybody jumps down my throat, I have a felon working for me. It was a DUI nine years ago and this person has been sober for all of those nine years.  A model employee who has been a tremendous contributor.

Just don't tell me I HAVE to hire felons or give me a quota of felons.

I agree with you, the government has no right to mandate ex-felons be hired ... they can give incentives ... but to "mandate" is another thing.

I was also under the impression that a DUI was a misdemeanor and not a felony, but perhaps the circumstance were different.  Out of curiosity, what made you hire a "felon"?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 12:41:46 am by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 07:42:26 am »
Out of curiosity, what made you hire a "felon"?

He'll not tell you.

The secret is, underneath his grouchiness, sink is a very decent guy.  :tongue2:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 07:49:53 am »
Is the government going to indemnify those agencies that hire felons who just can't resist going back to their former way of life and they harm someone?

Be cheaper than pretty much forcing them to return to their old ways. Much cheaper, in the long run.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 06:20:06 pm »
Wouldn't it be a hoot if ex-cons end up voting Republican in droves because they want to pay lower taxes?   ^-^

rangerrebew

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 10:00:39 pm »
Doesn't the government already have enough felons working for them?  Maybe they haven't been caught, yet, but they are there.

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 03:27:23 am »

Very true.  The internet has exacerbated the entire issue as well because it can be trivially easy to find out that an otherwise responsible forty year old applicant was arrested and convicted for possession of pot, for example, twenty years ago while in college, and some employers will refuse to hire solely on that basis.  To me that becomes cruel and unusual when someone can be hounded out of society and relegated to the dregs for the rest of their lives simply because they were convicted of some misdemeanor possession charge.  It's absurd that someone can run up hundreds of thousands of dollars on credit cards, get the debt all discharged in bankruptcy for pennies on the dollar, and seven to ten years later that little fact cannot legally show up on a credit report, but a conviction record for misdemeanor possession will show up until the day you die - and even afterward.  Good thing Jesus doesn't care a fig for criminal records, only souls.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 12:36:23 pm »

Very true.  The internet has exacerbated the entire issue as well because it can be trivially easy to find out that an otherwise responsible forty year old applicant was arrested and convicted for possession of pot, for example, twenty years ago while in college, and some employers will refuse to hire solely on that basis.  To me that becomes cruel and unusual when someone can be hounded out of society and relegated to the dregs for the rest of their lives simply because they were convicted of some misdemeanor possession charge.  It's absurd that someone can run up hundreds of thousands of dollars on credit cards, get the debt all discharged in bankruptcy for pennies on the dollar, and seven to ten years later that little fact cannot legally show up on a credit report, but a conviction record for misdemeanor possession will show up until the day you die - and even afterward.  Good thing Jesus doesn't care a fig for criminal records, only souls.

Good post, ocean.

Say, now that I've got your attention, any idea why I get a blank page - no smileys - on iPad and iPhone? I lost smileys after iOS 9 update last month.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 12:47:20 pm »
Exactly.

Who DIDN'T do some stupid shit when they were young? Only difference between a lot (by no means all!!!) of these "felons" and me, at least, is I never got caught.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 01:00:26 pm »
Exactly.

Who DIDN'T do some stupid shit when they were young? Only difference between a lot (by no means all!!!) of these "felons" and me, at least, is I never got caught.

The times I did get caught, was always someone there (parent, friend, clergy) who gave me a helping hand to put me on the right path. I believe in redemption. Jesus never gave up on me, I won't give up on His amazing grace.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 11:59:01 pm »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline flowers

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 12:09:27 am »
I see the number they give out is 50k to be released. I also see where obama..taxpayer are going to house them and give them all the freebies too. So that number will be triple.  :chairbang:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 12:11:28 am by flowers »