Author Topic: Anonymous #OpKKK: Hacktivists publish first batch of alleged Ku Klux Klan contact details  (Read 662 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
This is wrong. All privacy should be respected. That goes for people you disagree with too. All this does is put KKK members and their families in potential danger. One bad thing does not justify another.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/anonymous-opkkk-hactivists-publish-first-batch-ku-klux-klan-contact-details-1526794

Anonymous has published dozens of phone numbers and email addresses allegedly belonging to members of the Ku Klux Klan. The contact details were released late on Sunday (1 November) as part of Operation KKK in order to coincide with the first anniversary of the Ferguson protests.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 05:11:52 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
This is wrong. All privacy should be respected. That goes for people you disagree with too. All this does is put KKK members and their families in potential danger. One bad thing does not justify another.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/anonymous-opkkk-hactivists-publish-first-batch-ku-klux-klan-contact-details-1526794

Something that always bugged me about these releases is it could get a lot of innocent people in trouble due to identity theft or same/similar names. Internet mobs generally don't take a moment to fact check or determine if they are going after the right person, they just attack.

With that being said, for real klanners, I won't shed a tear for any problems they have out of this.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Something that always bugged me about these releases is it could get a lot of innocent people in trouble due to identity theft or same/similar names. Internet mobs generally don't take a moment to fact check or determine if they are going after the right person, they just attack.

With that being said, for real klanners, I won't shed a tear for any problems they have out of this.
Indeed. I remember the Ashley Madison hack turning up Roger Stone's name. There was just a couple of problems with that: he testifies as not being against having an affair, but would never pay any service to do so; more importantly, Stone isn't married in the first place. Someone, probably a Democrat, put his name in the database as a halfhearted and botched attempt to smear him.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

it could get a lot of innocent people in trouble due to identity theft or same/similar names
I quite agree. Another point - who the heck cares about the KKK? They are more a laughingstock these days than a threat to anyone.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I quite agree. Another point - who the heck cares about the KKK? They are more a laughingstock these days than a threat to anyone.
Anonymous is trying to claim that a number of U.S. Senators, all Republicans of course, are members.

Offline Paladin

Another point - who the heck cares about the KKK? They are more a laughingstock these days than a threat to anyone.

Elevating groups like the KKK to a serious existential threat is a deep need within the Left. They desperately need to see themselves as constantly on the barricades confronting the Fascist enemy. It's part and parcel of their self image as morally superior in every way. Hence they misrepresent and exaggerate the danger on the Right. In addition, it doesn't hurt their electoral chances to exploit the fears of the LIVs.

Someone once commented that Liberals were always certain the twilight of Fascism was always present in America, but the night seemed only to descend in Europe.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Anonymous is trying to claim that a number of U.S. Senators, all Republicans of course, are members.

Yes, apparently John Cornyn is listed.  Mr. Cornyn may be lot of things*, but a klanner he is not.  That's just ridiculous.

*His conservative score is "F".

edited to add the link:  https://www.conservativereview.com/scorecard
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 11:11:20 pm by Sanguine »

Online mountaineer

I don't believe that for a moment. What politician doesn't know that any association with the KKK would be the kiss of death - and that it, somehow, would come to light?

Offline aligncare

I don't believe that for a moment. What politician doesn't know that any association with the KKK would be the kiss of death - and that it, somehow, would come to light?

And yet, Democrat candidates must pledge allegiance to #BlackLivesMatter if they want to be considered for POTUS. #BlackLivesMatter, who hold that black lives supersede all other lives. If that isn't racist, then what is?

Online mountaineer

And yet, Democrat candidates must pledge allegiance to #BlackLivesMatter if they want to be considered for POTUS. #BlackLivesMatter, who hold that black lives supersede all other lives. If that isn't racist, then what is?
Yes, but that's goood racism, dontcha know.   **nononono*

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Blacks will be wiped out in less than a decade.

Not by you or me or the stupid KKK. It will happen by the hand of Obama himself. In no time, because of Obama, the Black population in America will become nothing.  No KKK. No White people involved.

With Obama flooding America with illegals and people of all sorts, very soon the coddled and pampered American Black people are going to discover what the rest of the world is really like.

There will come a time when American Blacks will be begging for the simple KKK. There are much worse things out there. And with Obama's help,  they are now all heading our way. And I promise you, the enemies Obama is inviting do not give one single damn about what color your skin may happen to be.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
OK, here's the REAL list.

Not any real prominent names, other than known figures such as David Duke and Hal Turner. So, as was originally rumored, that original list claiming various Senators was a hoax. I'll also note that they used Facebook and other social media profiles as a major source for their evidence, which means that these people were openly admitting their membership. It really hasn't turned out to be much of an "outing" at all.

http://anonhq.com/anonymous-de-hoods-kkk-releases-identities-of-500-ku-klux-klan-members/

Offline GourmetDan

Elevating groups like the KKK to a serious existential threat is a deep need within the Left. They desperately need to see themselves as constantly on the barricades confronting the Fascist enemy. It's part and parcel of their self image as morally superior in every way. Hence they misrepresent and exaggerate the danger on the Right. In addition, it doesn't hurt their electoral chances to exploit the fears of the LIVs.

I suppose that's why the KKK was founded by Democrats?

Where's Sen. Robert Byrd when we need him...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Someone once commented that Liberals were always certain the twilight of Fascism was always present in America, but the night seemed only to descend in Europe.

That's a fascinating statement, Paladin.  Particularly since Fascism IS the left.  Very freudian.

rangerrebew

Media buys into claim that senators are Klansmen
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 01:48:59 pm »
The claim that four sitting Republican senators are also secret Klansmen originated with data dump from a person who goes by the name "Amped Attacks." (AP Photo/Danny Johnston)
Media buys into claim that senators are Klansmen
By T. Becket Adams (@becketadams) • 11/8/15 1:00 PM

Several reporters and media groups displayed questionable news judgment this week when they gave credence to a person on the Internet who claimed to have discovered that there are four card-carrying members of the Ku Klux Klan currently serving in the United States Senate.

"Ku Klux Klan: Data revealing alleged members of the KKK, including mayors and senators, released," the Huffington Post said in a headline this week.

The claim that a handful of lawmakers nationwide, including a Democratic Kentucky mayor and four sitting Republican senators, are also secret Klansmen originated with data dump from a person who goes by the name "Amped Attacks."

The anonymous Internet person told TechCrunch he "worked for nine days to gather and verify all the information that was gathered [from KKK websites and databases] before its release."

"I went through many emails that [were] signed up with these sites and a few of the emails that sparked my interest was the ones of the politicians in question there would be no reason for them to be signed up on any KKK website unless they supported it or was involved in it," he added.

At the same time that he supposedly outed four GOP senators, the infamous hacking group Anonymous was also preparing to release its own data on the personal identities of more than 1,000 Klansmen.

But while "Amped Attacks" never claimed to be associated with the hacking group, and there is nothing to corroborate his claim that there are secret KKK members in Congress, reporters apparently assumed that the two were connected and they ran with the story.

International Business Times reported this week that, "Anonymous #OpKKK: Four U.S. senators 'associated with Ku Klux Klan' revealed by hacktivists."

"'HoodsOff 2015' in full effect as Anonymous publishes the names of KKK members — including four sitting U.S. senators," Salon declared in one headline.

The Root reported elsewhere that the, "hacktivist group Anonymous has published the email addresses and phone numbers of supposed Ku Klux Klan members, including the names of four senators and five city mayors."

Several journalists shared a U.S. Uncut article on social media titled, "Prominent U.S. senators and mayors outed as members of the KKK by Anonymous."

As it turns out, none of these reports are accurate. Anonymous had nothing to do with listing the four senators as members of the Klan, and there's nothing to prove that "Amped Attacks" list of Klansmen lawmakers, which includes a Roman Catholic and an openly gay person, is in any way legitimate.

Anonymous distanced itself this week from the supposed KKK senate data dump, announcing on social media that it was in no way involved in publishing that information. And when the hacking group eventually did put its KKK information online, there was nothing in there regarding U.S. senators.

"A quick search of [the official Anonymous] data dump included no shocking public officials, unlike a list released last weekend that named a number of politicians," Vice reported, adding that several experts confirmed that "Amped Attacks" release was a fake.

In short, an unverified, random person on the Internet took several journalists for a ride.

Not everyone in the press reacted the same to "Amped Attacks" data dump, though, as a few reporters harshly criticized newsrooms that fell for the story.

"[L]ess savory [outlets] seemed honestly sold on the notion that four Republican senators are members of the KKK," Mediaite's Alex Griswold wrote this week.

"[T]here's been literally no evidence presented to suggest that any of the men are actually Klanmen. But just thinking about what was being suggested for more than two seconds should have been enough to kill these rumors immediately," he added.

He argued that even if Anonymous hadn't distanced itself from the "Amped Attacks" dump, several obvious red flags should've caught reporters' attention.

"To begin with, the Ku Klux Klan is pathetically small compared to the overall white male population of the South and Midwest. Membership estimates range from 3,000 to 5,000. The likelihood that four separate members of the Klan could find their way into the ranks of the Senate are astronomically low, even if you assume that your average Klansman is coherent enough to manage it (spoilers: they aren't)," Griswold wrote.

"Or to put another way, you'd have to believe that a Klansman is roughly 10,000 times more likely to become a senator than the average American. Or, put even another way, there are supposedly twice as many Klansmen as Princeton grads in the Senate. Now that's an alumni network," he added.

He concluded by arguing that there were only two possibilities to this story.

Either four "separate individuals managed to conceal their membership in a white supremacist organization for decades from watchdog groups and the government alike, surviving dozens of primary and general elections alike without even a whiff of their extremely radical views ever being raised by anyone," he wrote.

"Every one of these individuals lead extremely productive lives, attend elite universities, and two even [became] a U.S. attorney and an ambassador to a major U.S. ally. But in an extremely sloppy move, they all sign up for KKK websites using emails that can easily be traced back to them," he added.

The only other possible option, he wrote, is that "Some kid on the Internet lied."

Judging by the above news clippings, it appears many reporters this week found the former more believable than the latter.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/media-buys-into-claim-that-senators-are-klansmen/article/2575907
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 01:49:36 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Paladin

"But while "Amped Attacks" never claimed to be associated with the hacking group, and there is nothing to corroborate his claim that there are secret KKK members in Congress, reporters apparently assumed that the two were connected and they ran with the story."

But of course they did:

"The claim that a handful of lawmakers nationwide, including a Democratic Kentucky mayor and four sitting Republican senators..."
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.