Author Topic: Star-Driven Casualties ‘Our Brand Is Crisis’ & ‘Burnt’ At The B.O.: What The Hell Happened?  (Read 356 times)

Offline Paladin

I really didn't see how a movie about a Presidential election in Bolivia would catch on, whatever it's metaphorical message and the presence of Sandra Bullock. The other one I have no idea about.

"If there was ever a weekend where stars couldn’t deliver the goods at the box office, it was this one with Bradley Cooper’s Burnt from The Weinstein Co. and Sandra Bullock’s Our Brand Is Crisis from Warner Bros. bombing with respective openings of $5.1M and $3.3M.

For Bullock, Our Brand ranks as the lowest wide opening of her career, slotting under the 1996 romantic comedy Two If By Sea ($4.7M opening, $10.7M cume) while Burnt is Cooper’s second black eye after this summer’s disaster Aloha ($9.7M opening, $21M cume) in the wake of American Sniper‘s huge success ($350.1M domestic cume). Adding further insult to injury, both moviegoers and critics rejected the titles. Burnt carries a bitter B- CinemaScore and a 29% Rotten Tomatoes rating, while Our Brand has been stigmatized with a C+ and a 33% Rotten score.

Compounding problems was the fact that both titles were odd ducks. Our Brand is a political comedy based on a 10-year old documentary of the same name about an American campaign strategist’s hand in a Bolivian presidential election. Burnt centers around a bad boy chef resurrecting himself as a Michelin-star chef in London. As we saw last weekend with Steve Jobs, these two misfires are another case of specialty films being mistreated as mass-appealing studio titles."

http://deadline.com/2015/10/sandra-bullock-bradley-cooper-box-office-bomb-our-brand-is-crisis-burnt-1201600750/

The good news is that the producer of "Crisis" is bubble headed pretty boy George Clooney. So if the cinema gods are kind, he will take a financial bath with this thing.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.