Author Topic: NASA Study: Mass Gains of Antarctic Ice Sheet Greater than Losses  (Read 677 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/nasa-study-mass-gains-of-antarctic-ice-sheet-greater-than-losses/

A new NASA study says that an increase in Antarctic snow accumulation that began 10,000 years ago is currently adding enough ice to the continent to outweigh the increased losses from its thinning glaciers. The research challenges the conclusions of other studies, including the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s (IPCC) 2013 report, which says that Antarctica is overall losing land ice. According to the new analysis of satellite data, the Antarctic ice sheet showed a net gain of 112 billion tons of ice a year from 1992 to 2001. That net gain slowed to 82 billion tons of ice per year between 2003 and 2008. “We’re essentially in agreement with other studies that show an increase in ice discharge in the Antarctic Peninsula and the Thwaites and Pine Island region of West Antarctica,” said Jay Zwally, a glaciologist with NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, and lead author of the study, which was published on Oct. 30 in the Journal of Glaciology. “Our main disagreement is for East Antarctica and the interior of West Antarctica – there, we see an ice gain that exceeds the losses in the other areas.” Zwally added that his team “measured small height changes over large areas, as well as the large changes observed over smaller areas.”

Zwally’s team calculated that the mass gain from the thickening of East Antarctica remained steady from 1992 to 2008 at 200 billion tons per year, while the ice losses from the coastal regions of West Antarctica and the Antarctic Peninsula increased by 65 billion tons per year. “The good news is that Antarctica is not currently contributing to sea level rise, but is taking 0.23 millimeters per year away,” Zwally said. “But this is also bad news. If the 0.27 millimeters per year of sea level rise attributed to Antarctica in the IPCC report is not really coming from Antarctica, there must be some other contribution to sea level rise that is not accounted for.”
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Oceander

Re: NASA Study: Mass Gains of Antarctic Ice Sheet Greater than Losses
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 12:50:42 am »
Gee, and here I thought we were about to be ice-free year-round.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 12:56:58 am »
Gee, and here I thought we were about to be ice-free year-round.

:mauslaff: :mauslaff: :mauslaff:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 10:19:12 pm »
Regardless of how much data is is put in front of the liberal lunatics to dispel the myth of global warming, they will still use the same old scare tactics and proclaim that the earth is in grave danger of cooking up and heating and warming!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 10:35:09 pm »
Regardless of how much data is is put in front of the liberal lunatics to dispel the myth of global warming, they will still use the same old scare tactics and proclaim that the earth is in grave danger of cooking up and heating and warming!

...and only the surrender of more cool taxpayer cash will reverse global warming.